Jump to content

Do you consider 2 small chicken wings a “meal”?


King Ding Dong
 Share

Recommended Posts

Island Smokehouse used to serve 3 wings (6 wing sections). 

Do you think 2 small chicken wings (4 wing sections) is a “meal”?  That is what my kid was served the other day at Island Smokehouse in Soak City. I politely asked a supervisor about it and they agreed 2 wings is barely a snack but their supervisor instructed them that this was the new policy. I can’t imagine actually paying $13-$15 for 2 little wings and some lukewarm fries.  I went to Guest Services and expressed my displeasure but they said there was nothing they could do but pass on my complaint to Food and Beverage.  

Has anybody else experienced a reduction in the quantity of food served recently?  We certainly will not be ordering the wings again.  In general KI has been doing much better with food service the past few years so I find this ridiculousness disappointing.  
 

As others have said repeatedly about the meal plans: What can you do they already have your money.   
 

Don’t waste your money.  ;)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oof. No, I do not consider 2 wings and some fries a meal. Actually thought about eating at Island Smokehouse when I was at the park yesterday, but it had a huge line so I decided against it and later went to Hank's Burrito Shack instead. The Burrito I got there was great, and decent sized too. So I guess I made the right call.

Reject Chicken Wings. Embrace Burritoz. :P

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the Island Smokehouse for that very reason. Last time I ate there I was given one very shallow scoop of Mac n cheese in a very large container. It was almost comical, but is frustrating when you’re hungry. This was a few years ago.
 

I recall someone else posting on here that they ordered the brisket and they got a decently sized piece and a supervisor came up and told the associate that it was too much and cut half of it off and threw it away. I’d like to think that now that they hand out the title of sous chef like Oprah hands out cars there won’t be extreme examples like that any longer. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I’ve had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the Island Smokehouse for that very reason. Last time I ate there I was given one very shallow scoop of Mac n cheese in a very large container. It was almost comical, but is frustrating when you’re hungry. This was a few years ago.
 

I recall someone else posting on here that they ordered the brisket and they got a decently sized piece and a supervisor came up and told the associate that it was too much and cut half of it off and threw it away. I’d like to think that now that they hand out the title of sous chef like Oprah hands out cars there won’t be extreme examples like that any longer. 

What is comical is we have eaten at the CPS equivalent Crystal Rock a few times this season and they have been serving up humongous amounts of brisket.  Last week this kid dumped quite literally a pound of brisket on my tray and then could barely get any fries to stay on.  My youngest got a little less, probably about 12-13oz. We were laughing about it because there was no way either of us could finish it.  

2 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Was this thread all for a @Hawaiian Coasters 325 like?

You are whooshing me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

I went to Guest Services and expressed my displeasure but they said there was nothing they could do but pass on my complaint to Food and Beverage. 

Your post is quite concerning as other parks: Hershey, BGW etc. are focusing more on food quality.  What you have described is anything but quality.

What is quoted above is worse.  Going to guest services and receiving the blow off line "there is nothing we can do".  You are guest services, there are many things you can do to help smooth the issue.  It literally is your job!

Not that it matters, but did you happen to take a pic of the "meal" served? 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to the USDA, chicken wing prices are up more than 30% in the past year.

The Island Smokehouse smoked chicken wings are one of my favorite foods in the park, so I'll often get it despite the small portion size. (It was 5 wing sections as of 2019, now indeed down to 4). It just means I'm more likely to spring for a snack later in the day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2021 at 7:33 AM, Browntggrr said:

Your post is quite concerning as other parks: Hershey, BGW etc. are focusing more on food quality.  What you have described is anything but quality.

What is quoted above is worse.  Going to guest services and receiving the blow off line "there is nothing we can do".  You are guest services, there are many things you can do to help smooth the issue.  It literally is your job!

Not that it matters, but did you happen to take a pic of the "meal" served? 

We don’t take phones into SC so I did not take a pic, but as Malem verifies it is now 4 wing sections.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/10/2021 at 12:22 AM, King Ding Dong said:

What is comical is we have eaten at the CPS equivalent Crystal Rock a few times this season and they have been serving up humongous amounts of brisket.  Last week this kid dumped quite literally a pound of brisket on my tray and then could barely get any fries to stay on.  My youngest got a little less, probably about 12-13oz. We were laughing about it because there was no way either of us could finish it.  

You are whooshing me. 

Has there even been brisket served at the either KI BBQ locale this year? It seems like its always Sirloin Roast, which usually looks fatty and tepid, along w rotisserie chicken, which looks dry, along w the pork ribs, which were decent, but again, dry.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Has there even been brisket served at the either KI BBQ locale this year? It seems like its always Sirloin Roast, which usually looks fatty and tepid, along w rotisserie chicken, which looks dry, along w the pork ribs, which were decent, but again, dry.

Not sure and haven’t even been to Coney BBQ this season. The sirloin roast I had was OK, no complaints but not awesome either. 

We just left CPS and Crystal Rock is still serving up huge portions of brisket, that was 2 hours ago and I am still stuffed.  :lol:  Flats would be an unwise ride choice right now.  

3 hours ago, super7 said:

As long as the park offers these cheap season meal passes, the portions will get smaller.  

.

E7D36700-B933-4D16-9B3D-EBDA0AD661DB.jpeg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, super7 said:

As long as the park offers these cheap season meal passes, the portions will get smaller.  

Every meal I have had on the meal plan this year, with two exceptions, has been was more food than I can eat.  French Corner is a "small meal" by design as is the Chet's Plate which are the two meals that were the exceptions I have had.  Small meals are the exception, not the rule.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My portions from Coney BBQ and Hank's have been more than I can eat in a sitting. Watched some relatives eat the pulled pork fries from Potatoworks and it seemed like quite a bit of food too. So I guess its hit or miss? Chik Fil A certainly seems like a ripoff by comparison but two wings is a crazy small amount of food. Though wings in general have been overpriced anywhere you go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve gone to island smokehouse many times, and I usually get the wings. It’s always been 4 wings. If they changed it to 2, that would surprise me… and I agree that I would stop ordering it.

If I’m heading to the park just to eat, I like island smokehouse as it’s usually east to park and walk to in a short amount of time.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...