50th Anniversary Updates

FUN&ONLY!

24 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Made this its own topic and added a pic in the original post.

Does this mean we will still see Haunt Eyes and Christmas lights? @DonHelbig

I am really glad the Eiffel Tower is being repainted, and I really hope we still see it decorated for Halloween Haunt and especially Winterfest. If I had to guess, the usual lighting will go away once the repainting begins, so it will be interesting to see it dark at night. I don’t know how long the repainting will take, but since they are starting on it so soon, maybe it will be done in time for Winterfest? I don’t know if Kings Island will be able to decorate it for Halloween Haunt, but I am still really glad it is being repainted. I don’t mind missing out on decorations when Kings Island is using that time to improve the park.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Why paint it now and have a fresh paint job be exposed immediately to winter conditions?  Why not do it in March-April, along with the (hopefully) fully repaved parking lot?  

Kings Island has to get it repainted now, so the paint crews can focus on The Racer in March and April (I hope that is the case).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Oldschool75 said:

Just hoping we return to this color. 8634bec66113dcbaa730c957550958ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at this screenshot from the video provided in the blog post by the park, the frames around the elevator doors are painted very similar to the Parisian Patina color. But, as BoddaH mentioned above, it could be that that is the Tower's usual color but it has gotten sun faded over time.

Screenshot_20210812-185732_Samsung Internet.jpg

This makes me even more excited for the 2022 season and what else the park may have in store.

• Like 1

The tower was last repainted in the offseason of 2004 through 2005 I believe.  I remember going on a construction tour of Backlot Stunt Coaster and they were in the process of painting the tower.  

I do believe that the original color was a bit darker than it is now (and then what it was last repainted).  Originally, the tower was sponsored by Sherwin Williams.

• Like 1

Great news! I have been so happy with the amount of things that have been repainted over the past few years, and the things that continue to be repainted. A lot of this is thanks to Tim Fisher, Cedar Fair's COO, who has really been pushing "plant integrity"--repainting everything, relandscaping everything, just really making sure all the parks look as nice as possible.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Great news! I have been so happy with the amount of things that have been repainted over the past few years, and the things that continue to be repainted. A lot of this is thanks to Tim Fisher, Cedar Fair's COO, who has really been pushing "plant integrity"--repainting everything, relandscaping everything, just really making sure all the parks look as nice as possible.

The recent repainting of the buildings in Coney Mall, the buildings on International Street, and Rivertown Pizza look really nice. I am glad the Eiffel Tower is also going to be repainted soon. I hope that Kings Island continues repainting buildings and attractions like some of the buildings in Rivertown and Diamondback.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Any idea why they changed it? Or was it just because it fades to the current color so quickly? 

The current color is a blue, this is the original Eiffel Tower Green that SW developed and later changed to Parisian Patina. If I remember the paint was changed to blue during the Paramount years.

Here is a photo where it all began, April 1972.

Kings Island April29_30_1972-Paul's World Tour.png

• Like 5

All this talk about painting the Eiffel Tower has given me a fever, and the only prescription is more paint!   

Hopefully they really explore the space! (Paint The Racer, Beast, and paint other things in need around the park.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Gabe said:

Why paint it now and have a fresh paint job be exposed immediately to winter conditions?  Why not do it in March-April, along with the (hopefully) fully repaved parking lot?  

It's all about weather & height.  Good, warm weather now vs. questionable cool/ cold & windy weather in the offseason.

It should be at least 50 degrees when painting- and that is for normal household paint (the paint used on outdoor fixtures like this may need different temperature requirements).  Combine that with winds a couple hundred feet the ground can make for some sketchy work (no way I would ever want to even try it & kudos to those that do!).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Any chance the tall antenna will be making a comeback in the future? What was the reason behind taking it down?

EU9eQf1XkAEjOI8.jpg

Paramount chopped it off in 1999 so that this would be the tallest ride in the park by 1 foot (Eiffel Tower w/chopped antenna is 314ft, this is 315):

pkicentral%20001.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

The tower was last repainted in the offseason of 2004 through 2005 I believe.  I remember going on a construction tour of Backlot Stunt Coaster and they were in the process of painting the tower.  

I do believe that the original color was a bit darker than it is now (and then what it was last repainted).  Originally, the tower was sponsored by Sherwin Williams.

Yeah, I was on that tour too. They also replaced the elevator cabins, leading to a delayed opening in 2005. I remember riding IJST during the soft opening and watching them testing the new elevators.

I’d like to see a return to the original green, a general overhaul and enhancement, and a new top antenna to restore the appearance.

17 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Any chance the tall antenna will be making a comeback in the future? What was the reason behind taking it down?

Paramount wanted Drop Zone to claim the title of tallest structure in the park.

• Like 1

My dream would be a new restaurant on the 50 foot deck (would need a bunch of updates to the structure to allow it to be ADA accessable, like adding a small elevator/lift to one of the corners etc) and completely enclosing/air conditioning south plat (265') and having a spiral staircase connecting both platforms. However, this is just me dreaming and nothing more. 

• Like 5