50th Anniversary Updates

FUN&ONLY!

Things I like to see yes I know it’s likely not going to happen. Return of some Hanna-Barbera characters, those fruit drinks they used to sell that looked like fruit. Special photo areas  of old coasters no longer at the park. 

• Like 3

I know I read somewhere, maybe even on here that the antenna on the tower was lowered around 1994, a few years before DT was built or even thought of. I also read that it got clipped by the wing of a low flying plane. I'll see if I can find what I'm talking about. 

Edit: Here it is 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

Yeah, I was on that tour too. They also replaced the elevator cabins, leading to a delayed opening in 2005. I remember riding IJST during the soft opening and watching them testing the new elevators.

I’d like to see a return to the original green, a general overhaul and enhancement, and a new top antenna to restore the appearance.

Paramount wanted Drop Zone to claim the title of tallest structure in the park.

I believe that year was the year they replaced the entire elevator units. They used to have vertical poles that would go in front of where the operator stands. Anyone remember that?

Bad wording on my part there, by cabin I was referring to the entire elevator cars. Not sure if the counterweights or other workings were replaced or not. The new (current) elevators have a lot more glass than the previous ones.

I remember the operator’s area being different on the old ones, but that’s been a while now, can’t recall anything specific.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

And no more Tower Drinks for a while either...

I really don’t mind Tower Drinks being closed, but I am honestly surprised with how many Coca-Cola Refresh Stations have been open this year. I have seen locations open that I rarely see open quite regularly this year. I think there have probably been a decent number of days where every single Refresh Station has been open.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I really don’t mind Tower Drinks being closed, but I am honestly surprised with how many Coca-Cola Refresh Stations have been open this year. I have seen locations open that I rarely see open quite regularly this year. I think there have probably been a decent number of days where every single Refresh Station has been open.

@King Ding Dong must have not have been at KI much this season. He seems to close a freestyle stand when his scan is scanned at the turnstiles.

Back on topic, I am anxious to know if there will be a new color or multiple colors used.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Back on topic, I am anxious to know if there will be a new color or multiple colors used.

I was just wondering about that myself, and then I noticed: look at the center-right of the picture, just to the right of the center beam on the closest leg of the tower. Is it just me, or does it look like it's been painted a little blueish-purple? Or is that a lens flare?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

I was just wondering about that myself, and then I noticed: look at the center-right of the picture, just to the right of the center beam on the closest leg of the tower. Is it just me, or does it look like it's been painted a little blueish-purple? Or is that a lens flare?

I think that's just lens flare. given that the post says preparations to paint have begun, I don't think any painting had actually started at the time of that photo.

• Like 1

Interesting thought:
No Dance of the Macabre this year. At least not there. 

It’ll be fun to watch the progress of the tower get painted for those nerdy enough to care about stuff like that. 

Gonna be fun watching it get stripped and painted. From what I heard it’s getting the royal treatment, not just a cover over. Things are moving quick. Just keep an eye out in the skies around the park.

On 8/16/2021 at 8:49 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

Why would they want to keep them open?  Cedar Fair is all about cheap season passes and a low quality, overcrowded experience.   If they have more drink stations open that means people on the drink plan will take more drinks and less profits for them. That’s how they operate now

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

For 50th anniversary, there are some things i'd love to see.

For one, the trains getting a repaint with possible re-names to simon kenton (19, green) and tecumseh (12, blue) but the rename might not be possible because of 12 (blue's) original name.

Name overlays for one year. Woodstock express becoming scooby doo, beastie, or fairly odd coaster, Bat becoming flight deck or top gun.

Coney Mall overhaul. New bricks, building repaints, small new restaurant maybe? I'd love to see a KI Museum with maybe old ads, Days of Thunder footage, ride signage, and vehicles like Son of Beast, King Cobra, Firehawk's sign, etc.... . In that overhaul as well, i'd love to see a small ferris wheel added.

I'd love to see a 50th anniversary parade with something similar to CP's 150th parade with a show ending at the stage in front of Eiffel Tower. 

Definitely old walk around characters maybe like hanna barbera, laura croft, etc.

A behind the scenes tour of the park with a lift walk on something like Orion or beast, then your able to see how the ride is prepared for the day, and maybe first ride of the day. then you can meet the people that keep the trains going on the KI&MVRR.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2021 at 2:06 PM, MillenniumforceMike said:

For 50th anniversary, there are some things i'd love to see.

For one, the trains getting a repaint with possible re-names to simon kenton (19, green) and tecumseh (12, blue) but the rename might not be possible because of 12 (blue's) original name.

Name overlays for one year. Woodstock express becoming scooby doo, beastie, or fairly odd coaster, Bat becoming flight deck or top gun.

Coney Mall overhaul. New bricks, building repaints, small new restaurant maybe? I'd love to see a KI Museum with maybe old ads, Days of Thunder footage, ride signage, and vehicles like Son of Beast, King Cobra, Firehawk's sign, etc.... . In that overhaul as well, i'd love to see a small ferris wheel added.

I'd love to see a 50th anniversary parade with something similar to CP's 150th parade with a show ending at the stage in front of Eiffel Tower. 

Definitely old walk around characters maybe like hanna barbera, laura croft, etc.

A behind the scenes tour of the park with a lift walk on something like Orion or beast, then your able to see how the ride is prepared for the day, and maybe first ride of the day. then you can meet the people that keep the trains going on the KI&MVRR.

VR motion simulators for the former popular coasters would accompany this nicely.

bobby.png

• Like 3

• 1 month later...