50th Anniversary Updates

FUN&ONLY!

On 8/13/2021 at 4:18 PM, McSalsa said:

Paramount chopped it off in 1999 so that this would be the tallest ride in the park by 1 foot (Eiffel Tower w/chopped antenna is 314ft, this is 315):

On 8/13/2021 at 4:22 PM, PKIDelirium said:

Paramount wanted Drop Zone to claim the title of tallest structure in the park.

I realize it was sorta discussed in a couple of the replies, but just to reiterate since this is one of the biggest (false) Kings Island urban legends - Eiffel Tower's top antenna was not removed to make Drop Zone the tallest thing in the park... 1993 was the final year for the top antenna. Drop Zone didn't open until 1999.

On 9/1/2021 at 2:06 PM, MillenniumforceMike said:

Bat becoming flight deck or top gun.

Are we to the point that Flight Deck is a nostalgic name/theme? :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TombraiderTy said:

Are we to the point that Flight Deck is a nostalgic name/theme? :P

Well, the paintjob was technically the same from when the ride was called Top Gun, so…

Also, it’s hard to believe how fast time flies; people that grew up with things from the late 2000’s/2010s are now adults, and they have childhood nostalgia too (as I discovered today on Pokemon Twitter ^_^

-MDMC, one of those people that called Flight Deck Top Gun at some point during its lifespan as both had the same paintjob

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

In Amusement Today’s latest publication, Baynum Painting provided a list of the rides they are repainting this year. For Kings Island, they are repainting the Eiffel Tower, Adventure Express, and The Racer. This does not include Flying Ace Aerial Chase or Drop Tower which we now know are also getting repainted. It is surprising that those two rides are not also on this list.

C130E57C-4E52-40D5-AB8E-9D2636216124.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

In Amusement Today’s latest publication, Baynum Painting provided a list of the rides they are repainting this year. For Kings Island, they are repainting the Eiffel Tower, Adventure Express, and The Racer. This does not include Flying Ace Aerial Chase or Drop Tower which we now know are also getting repainted. It is surprising that those two rides are not also on this list.

Totally guessing, but maybe they were not confirmed before they sent the list to Amusement Today? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Totally guessing, but maybe they were not confirmed before they sent the list to Amusement Today? 

My thought is KI may be doing Flying Ace themselves. Just speculation. They have painters on staff. I'm not sure what the scope of the job would be when it comes to that.

50 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

My thought is KI may be doing Flying Ace themselves. Just speculation. They have painters on staff. I'm not sure what the scope of the job would be when it comes to that.

I doubt Kings Island would repaint Drop Tower themselves, though. Maybe a different painting firm is also working at Kings Island? It would be weird to hire two companies though.

7 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I doubt Kings Island would repaint Drop Tower themselves, though. Maybe a different painting firm is also working at Kings Island? It would be weird to hire two companies though.

Maybe Baynum Painting didn't want to take on more? Maybe another company's bid came in lower for DT and FAAC? Just throwing ideas out there.

• Like 1

Banshee and Diamondback could both use it.

Not sure the point in Adventure Express being repainted. You can't see the track from many places and its brown anyways. Unless they're going with a new color?

Also, can we at least get the sign for The Bat painted? That would take what...10 minutes?

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

Banshee and Diamondback could both use it.

Not sure the point in Adventure Express being repainted. You can't see the track from many places and its brown anyways. Unless they're going with a new color?

Also, can we at least get the sign for The Bat painted? That would take what...10 minutes?

We have to remember that paint also serves to protect the rollercoasters agains the environment. Adventure Express may need a just new coat of paint for protection. However, it would be nice if Adventure Express’s queue and station were repainted because they need it. Also, The Beast’s station could use some paint and stain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Maybe Baynum Painting didn't want to take on more? Maybe another company's bid came in lower for DT and FAAC? Just throwing ideas out there.

Possible.  Maybe a tower like Drop Tower doesn't have the same challenges that another ride might have.  Then again, whomever speculated that the article simple came out before the Drop Tower deal was finalized was probably correct.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

We have to remember that paint also serves to protect the rollercoasters agains the environment. Adventure Express may need a just new coat of paint for protection. However, it would be nice if Adventure Express’s queue and station were repainted because they need it. Also, The Beast’s station could use some paint and stain.

Good point.

Agree about those stations. Last time I was in the AE line it felt kind of run down or at least dirty. With Beast I don't really notice that much, since its supposed to have a rustic look to it, but I did notice there are some boards replaced in the queue that stick out like sore thumbs now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

Good point.

Agree about those stations. Last time I was in the AE line it felt kind of run down or at least dirty. With Beast I don't really notice that much, since its supposed to have a rustic look to it, but I did notice there are some boards replaced in the queue that stick out like sore thumbs now.

Completely agree about the Adventure Express station... is it just me or could the station use some better theming?

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 7:53 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

My understanding is some of the new paint is Baynum and the other stuff is being done by the park. The Eifel Tower is probably the hardest to paint with it being so complex. I imagine Drop Tower is a piece of cake in comparison.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:20 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

The hand rails in the station at beast were painted twice this year. Once during an extensive closure and again during when we were closed on weekdays. The signs could use a refresh and the floors definitely could be replaced.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...