50th Anniversary Updates

FUN&ONLY!

2 hours ago, Imperial79 said:

Anyone know the last time The Racer was painted?  It looks like its been forever!  

According to Baynum's website, it looks like 1996.

https://baynumpainting.com/projects/2021/9/6/the-racer

I can't wait to see it looking fresh next season. It'll probably look like a brand new coaster when it's done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

I'm hoping so too! With all the nostalgic changes we've seen the last few seasons, it wouldn't surprise me if the patriotic color scheme returned.

I’d be both surprised and disappointed if it didn’t. 

What’s weird is, even at my age my earlier memories are of Racer being all white. So it would look more like it did in the photos to me than it would be a nostalgic piece. 

• Like 6

When they repainted Racer 75 at Kings Dominion for their 40th (under Cedar Fair), they only painted the station and the pre lift turn around.   The rest of the ride looks like crap as it has been getting the Thunder Road treatment…..no paint on replace wood 

Will The Racer paint job only be partial like that?   They did not paint the new track last year.  

• Like 1

Well, the Racer at Kings Island is visible from most of the Coney Mall midway.  Racer 75 is not as visible from their main midway.  It is located by their water park, Water Works.  And the far turnaround is located by Lake Charles and Anaconda, so it is not as visible as what Racer is.  

Wood coaster track is not normally painted these days because the wood is treated wood, and the need to often retrack/replace pieces, especially the top few layers of wood.

I would love to see the original red and blue return.  Or at least paint the handrails.

• Like 2

Yes they quit painting wooden coasters to save on labor and paint, since the wood is treated.   But they end up with ratty looking coasters.  Thunder Road looked bad before they destroyed it, even though it had been rebuilt. 

All of Racer 75 is just as visible from the water park as Racer is from Coney      I hope  Racer gets better treatment of paint   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, super7 said:

When they repainted Racer 75 at Kings Dominion for their 40th (under Cedar Fair), they only painted the station and the pre lift turn around.   The rest of the ride looks like crap as it has been getting the Thunder Road treatment…..no paint on replace wood 

Will The Racer paint job only be partial like that?   They did not paint the new track last year.  

You’re talking about a different park under a different GM than Kings Island, I don’t think Kings Dominion in 2014 is really comparable to decisions made at Kings Island in 2021. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

You’re talking about a different park under a different GM than Kings Island, I don’t think Kings Dominion in 2014 is really comparable to decisions made at Kings Island in 2021. 

in 2014 CF was actually giving KD some attention.  Now they put virtually no effort into that park   They gave up on being competitive in that region 

Hopefully KI Racer gets a full paint job. But if it does, it will be the only one of The Racers in the chain that has gotten fully painted.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, super7 said:

in 2014 CF was actually giving KD some attention.  Now they put virtually no effort into that park   They gave up on being competitive in that region 

Hopefully KI Racer gets a full paint job. But if it does, it will be the only one of The Racers in the chain that has gotten fully painted.  

I was at KD in '17 before they rebuilt Racer 75's lift Hill.  The 2014 repaint , as I remember it, was the entire coaster.  I think the handrails  in blue and red went to the bottom of the first drop, and the rest were white.

I'd argue that KD has put more effort into their woodies--WE, Grizzly and R75 were all exceptionally smooth and well maintained.  I am glad our Racer is getting repainted because it badly needs it.  I just hope that if it needs a major section rebuilt like R75 did, it is painted.  Maybe there is something about the wood that KD used in rebuilding the lift hill that is not conductive to painting.  For wood plank fences, they do recommend waiting 3-4 years before painting them.

CF is actually treating KD fairly well with day to day operations.  They have a longer Winterfest season, they have 2 million more lights this year than KI and they are investing in the experience of the park.  They have almost 45 years of data and know the market--they are not walking away from the park.  I admit that I look at KD via rose colored glasses, but I think the park has a bright future.  They made a mistake with I305 and they are undoing years of damage from bad decisions from the previous owner.

• Like 2

In a could be nothing/could be something situation: I noticed tonight that the floor inside Coney Confections is being taken up.

It seems strange that they would do this now rather than six weeks from now unless they are repurposing / expanding the building.

CP added some new food locations for their 150th so it does make me wonder.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

In a could be nothing/could be something situation: I noticed tonight that the floor inside Coney Confections is being taken up.

It seems strange that they would do this now rather than six weeks from now unless they are repurposing / expanding the building.

CP added some new food locations for their 150th so it does make me wonder.

Maybe it will be the official 50th anniversary store and it is getting renovated? Totally guessing here.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Maybe it will be the official 50th anniversary store and it is getting renovated? Totally guessing here.

It was a weird STEM thing last WF. I guess they didn’t do it this year. If I’d had to guess I’d say they simply decided to redo the floor now simply because they could. I’d love to see it as a “pop up” 50th store. 

• Like 3

On 11/25/2021 at 11:03 PM, BeeastFarmer said:

I was at KD in '17 before they rebuilt Racer 75's lift Hill.  The 2014 repaint , as I remember it, was the entire coaster.  I think the handrails  in blue and red went to the bottom of the first drop, and the rest were white.

I'd argue that KD has put more effort into their woodies--WE, Grizzly and R75 were all exceptionally smooth and well maintained.  I am glad our Racer is getting repainted because it badly needs it.  I just hope that if it needs a major section rebuilt like R75 did, it is painted.  Maybe there is something about the wood that KD used in rebuilding the lift hill that is not conductive to painting.  For wood plank fences, they do recommend waiting 3-4 years before painting them.

CF is actually treating KD fairly well with day to day operations.  They have a longer Winterfest season, they have 2 million more lights this year than KI and they are investing in the experience of the park.  They have almost 45 years of data and know the market--they are not walking away from the park.  I admit that I look at KD via rose colored glasses, but I think the park has a bright future.  They made a mistake with I305 and they are undoing years of damage from bad decisions from the previous owner.

Do you have a link that says they have 7 million lights? :)

13 minutes ago, Kenban said:

I am at the ACE holiday party.  Don has confirmed that the park is planning on going retro with the paint on Racer, it is planned to be red, white, and blue.

That is great news! Did he share any other updates at the event like retracking?

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

That is great news! Did he share any other updates at the event like retracking?

He acknowledged the photos but also basically stated the park is not ready to discuss anything about retracking work, and would share more information later.  Gravity Group did a presentation and they confirmed they are working on The Beast but said nothing about what they are doing on the project.  Overall not a lot.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

He also shared that they are working on returning the raised lettering on the front of the trains to replace the stickers that were installed this past year. They are trying to make Racer just like it was when it was new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 8

21 hours ago, Kenban said:

He acknowledged the photos but also basically stated the park is not ready to discuss anything about retracking work, and would share more information later.  Gravity Group did a presentation and they confirmed they are working on The Beast but said nothing about what they are doing on the project.  Overall not a lot.

Glad to hear that GG confirmed the contract with KI. As I've said in the past, really looking forward to hearing any official news about the retracking. Hopefully with some official photos that we can post too!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

The park has now made their 50th Anniversary season events page live. They are not waisting any time staring the 50th anniversary.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/50th-anniversary

ki-anniversary-carousel-1-coneyisland.jp

Did the pathway that is the near The Racer change?  It doesn't seem like you can get that close to it now.  

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic