50th Anniversary Updates

FUN&ONLY!

4 hours ago, purdude86 said:

I would honestly like to see the whole Beast plaza redone. Rerouting the exit to it's original path would open up the other side for additional construction and paths behind the arcade/Vortex plot. But I would tear down the Crypt ride building  but leave the rest of the covered queue to be themed as a mine, and add in a Screamin' Swing with it exiting out into this new plaza area instead of the other side that it used to. Next, move the petting zoo from Planet Snoopy back here with a farm/western theme like the one at CP, I think this little change would make a big impact on that area and not just be a dead end at The Beast queue.

I also like Coasterteam's idea of using the queue building to extend the standby line. Maybe even  close in the section next to the building too. Give it some light theming to a mining workshop or saloon. Could have little story bits/hints of The Beast legend and accounts of sightings in the area and warnings. Be kind of a mix of Orion's queue building and the sort of light theming of Mystic Timber's queue. I would add some more thematic elements (small minimal ones) to the second "queue house" of the line as well.

Agreed BEAST plaza is horrible now with the soccer game, the closed Crypt, the dead end wall unless haunt is open. It’s just a non-impressive area fir such a marque attraction. Hope with all the track work there’s more to the overall project to give it a proper entrance again. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, purdude86 said:

I would honestly like to see the whole Beast plaza redone. Rerouting the exit to it's original path would open up the other side for additional construction and paths behind the arcade/Vortex plot. But I would tear down the Crypt ride building  but leave the rest of the covered queue to be themed as a mine, and add in a Screamin' Swing with it exiting out into this new plaza area instead of the other side that it used to. Next, move the petting zoo from Planet Snoopy back here with a farm/western theme like the one at CP, I think this little change would make a big impact on that area and not just be a dead end at The Beast queue.

I also like Coasterteam's idea of using the queue building to extend the standby line. Maybe even  close in the section next to the building too. Give it some light theming to a mining workshop or saloon. Could have little story bits/hints of The Beast legend and accounts of sightings in the area and warnings. Be kind of a mix of Orion's queue building and the sort of light theming of Mystic Timber's queue. I would add some more thematic elements (small minimal ones) to the second "queue house" of the line as well.

Ya know, the similar theming wouldn't be the only thing in common with CP's petting farm if that (see bold) happened as Slaughter House would be right around the corner. When I went in 2019, I thought it was brilliant to have their Slaughter House line start near the Barnyard as it really plays into the theme. 

-MDMC, still a Haunt fan,,,

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

^ Maybe I'm crazy here, but if they used part of the Crypt building for The Beast queue, wouldn't that seem like too much queue? 

Didn’t mean crypt building for beast queue but for the Screamin’ Swing queue The Beast indoor queue part I meant to utilize the former snack stand building that the line goes around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, purdude86 said:

Didn’t mean crypt building for beast queue but for the Screamin’ Swing queue The Beast indoor queue part I meant to utilize the former snack stand building that the line goes around.

The indoor portion of the Crypt is a wasted opportunity - its actually a well- done (or it was - not sure what is left of it) queue from its tomb raider days. The way the buildings are constructed (4 seemingly separate structures) should be easy to demo the largest and maybe even the pre-show building) and keep the tunnel and the first room as switchbacks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, super7 said:

I wound be happy if the just planted some trees around the plaza  station area and pre lift turn around of Beast.   It all used to be back in the woods.   Like the rest of the park, it’s pretty barren these days.    

Agreed. Reforesting The Beast alone would be a great revivification of the area.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

[grumbles something under his breath about how Beast's entrance was perfect before SOMEone built a giant red coaster in Rivertown]

So agree (grumbles included) that Diamondback was a good addition in a bad location. It’s almost like paramount planned it. The queue is terrible with those modern sun shades, the infrastructure looks bad right behind showplace, the helix into the splash ruined what wasnt already bad about The Beast Entrance.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, brenthodge said:

So agree (grumbles included) that Diamondback was a good addition in a bad location. It’s almost like paramount planned it. The queue is terrible with those modern sun shades, the infrastructure looks bad right behind showplace, the helix into the splash ruined what wasnt already bad about The Beast Entrance.  

Unfortunately it was built in the early days of Cedar Fair ownership where they were using the Cedar Point philosophy that just adding a huge ride was all that was important.   Theming and atmosphere got little attention back then.  Thank goodness Ouimet got involved with his Disney experience.    That’s when the parks started getting theming details again. 

• Like 8

10 hours ago, super7 said:

Unfortunately it was built in the early days of Cedar Fair ownership where they were using the Cedar Point philosophy that just adding a huge ride was all that was important.   Theming and atmosphere got little attention back then.  Thank goodness Ouimet got involved with his Disney experience.    That’s when the parks started getting theming details again. 

It would be great if they could revisit some of those decisions. Keep the ride and revamp the queue. Even if they just build facades of themed buildings to hide the industrial queue. Or, Since DB really needs a repaint anyway, use character paint to look like timber logs in the lower portions of the supports that touch down in River town. But those cosmetic, theming driven changes don’t usually drive spending or attendance, do they don’t get budgeted. 

• Like 3

On 1/21/2022 at 2:28 AM, super7 said:

I wound be happy if the just planted some trees around the plaza  station area and pre lift turn around of Beast.   It all used to be back in the woods.   Like the rest of the park, it’s pretty barren these days.    

Pine trees grow pretty quick and don't suffer from ask borer beetle. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, KIEagle33 said:

It would be really nice if they planted some trees around the drops of DB. It would be really nice diving down into a forest, rather then diving down into barren space. 

Diamondback came during the early years of CF ownership, where they put a lot of coasters in all their new parks rather quickly, and it surely shows. The only thing I'd be really interested in seeing is having B&M come back to re-track the valley before the trim, that roughness makes it hard to re-ride.

• Like 4

Just thinking out loud . . for the Crypt building, why not revamp the queue line and retrofit it for the smaller top spin ride that doesn't pull itself apart??  Then we could have the more exciting spinning cycle that we loved when it first opened.  idk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rlentless said:

Just thinking out loud . . for the Crypt building, why not revamp the queue line and retrofit it for the smaller top spin ride that doesn't pull itself apart??  Then we could have the more exciting spinning cycle that we loved when it first opened.  idk

Too simple of a solution LOL. While they are at it, they could theme it to a mine shaft and relocate the entrance queue to the other side coming off a new shared “Miami Valley Mining” entrance so it tied into The Beast idea. Even if somehow they came up with an idea for the pre show building that was “haunt like” with projection mapping on an old mine that looks like it’s coming to life, then you get into the “elevator” to descend into the “enchanted mine” for your chance at finding the elusive treasure, then “oh crap” the elevator goes crazy and the topspin flips the sh!# out of you. 

• Like 2

I don`t think we will ever see another Huss Top Spin in the Cedar Fair chain.  From my understanding, even the smaller ones were maintenance intensive.  It would be cool to have a wild mouse in the big show building, and utilizing the queue line and preshow.  As it is, that building is vastly under utilized.  I hope one day they add some kind of flat ride there.  Whether it is in the existing building or not.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Too simple of a solution LOL. While they are at it, they could theme it to a mine shaft and relocate the entrance queue to the other side coming off a new shared “Miami Valley Mining” entrance so it tied into The Beast idea. Even if somehow they came up with an idea for the pre show building that was “haunt like” with projection mapping on an old mine that looks like it’s coming to life, then you get into the “elevator” to descend into the “enchanted mine” for your chance at finding the elusive treasure, then “oh crap” the elevator goes crazy and the topspin flips the sh!# out of you. 

I don't think a Top Spin will go back in the building.  But your other ideas are brilliant.  I've never had nightmares about mining elevators, but I often have dreams of building elevator problems--snapping cables, going sideways and diagonal, and getting stuck with creaking noises.

• Like 1

Maybe instead of a flat, it’s a hybrid wild mouse/arcade shooting game that ties into The Beast lore. A mining company shut down due to the miners disappearing, growling was heard in the mines. Legend had it that a demon beast roamed the woods and caves. It was angered when it’s lair was disturbed by those wanting to strip the riches out of it. The Beast coaster plays into the idea of being chased through the woods be the creature, and the SHAFT gives you a chance to seek your revenge (or The Beast to finally secure his-depending on how the game goes. Use the tunnel and first building for switchback queue, route the load into the pre-show building, then the cars enter the main chamber, are lifted straight up in the mineshaft to bring their journey down. Minor dips and twists stop at screens to do the “game”. At the end, cars exit the main building into a new indoor unload (to control light) then cycle around the building in an enclosed “hallway” back to the load building. The entrance and exit are shifted to the left side off of a new BEAST entrance plaza littered with abandoned mining equipment. SLAUGHTER HOUSE gets a new exterior and theme to tie into the overall area. 

• Like 2

Kings Island needs quality dark rides.  Something on the order of Calico Mine Ride at Knotts.    Kings Island needs more total family rides, and indoor all weather attractions. 

The Tomb Raider building and Backlot coaster are the two biggest eyesores in the entire park.  Both are prime examples of Paramount destruction of the park beauty and theming cohesion. 

I wish they would at least plant groves of white pines on both sides of the Tomb Raider building to hide it.   Or better yet level it and put something worthwhile there.    Remember it’s a huge space that one housed a lake and a Flume. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I don't think a Top Spin will go back in the building.  But your other ideas are brilliant.  I've never had nightmares about mining elevators, but I often have dreams of building elevator problems--snapping cables, going sideways and diagonal, and getting stuck with creaking noises.

The main show building measures approximately 90 x 90 feet- that would fit a Top Scan (50 x 50 ft), the ABC rides Tourbillion (65 x 55 ft) or even a Zamperla Nebulaz (39 x 36 ft). Even the Zamperla Endeavor could fit.

Any of those could easily have some dark ride type elements integrated with them, reusing the infrastructure that is already in place. Acquiring a used ride could further drive down the cost.

I would love something like Calico but definitely would come with a huge price tag.  I feel like they need to redo Boo Blasters but maybe because I still wish it was The Phantom Theater.  I understand how everyone feels the Crypt building is an eyesore but the building itself is a huge investment just to throw away.

I am still trying to think outside the box (no pun intended) that is financially feasible.  Would turning it into another Festhaus make sense?  Of course different theming/shows/food.  Or is that just too much for KI to have two in the park??

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

The main show building measures approximately 90 x 90 feet- that would fit a Top Scan (50 x 50 ft), the ABC rides Tourbillion (65 x 55 ft) or even a Zamperla Nebulaz (39 x 36 ft). Even the Zamperla Endeavor could fit.

Any of those could easily have some dark ride type elements integrated with them, reusing the infrastructure that is already in place. Acquiring a used ride could further drive down the cost.

Watching video of Harley Quinn, I think it would be very cool if they installed something like that in the crypt building. Maybe have it have a similar theme to Crypt and have better theming. Incorporate the pre show area similar to what they did during the tomb raider days. Give the ride a nice soundtrack and have it be dark and there we have an exciting ride. 

• Like 3

On 1/24/2022 at 3:14 PM, Coasterteam said:

The only thing I'd be really interested in seeing is having B&M come back to re-track the valley before the trim, that roughness makes it hard to re-ride.

That's been bumpy since my very first ride on media day, and progressively has gotten worse. Makes me wonder if they got a faulty footer installation there that shifted, and has slowly continued to, causing a problem with the track alignment.

• Like 2

I think it would be really cool to have some sort of spinning coaster in the old Tomb Raider building. They can use the existing queue (including the overflow that occurs before entering the building) and the coaster could have some outdoor sections as well. I'm thinking the station could be on the same level that Tomb Raider/The Crypt was an have a drop out of the station. Or, they could use the stairs that are used for Madame Fatale's and put the station on ground level.

Just some thoughts... ^_^

• Like 7

20 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

That's been bumpy since my very first ride on media day, and progressively has gotten worse. Makes me wonder if they got a faulty footer installation there that shifted, and has slowly continued to, causing a problem with the track alignment.

#Diamondbackissinking confirmed! :lol:

• Haha 2

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic