50th Anniversary Updates

FUN&ONLY!

2 hours ago, brenthodge said:

I could see It being a copyright issue that maybe wasn’t resolved or that came up after the show started. I was actually surprised they used the actual show logo and almost prefer “groovy” better because it’s a bit more of an “inside thing” 

Jinkies!  That's terrible.  I'll reserve judgement on "Groovy" until I see it live, but I loved the BB logo.

17 hours ago, mikejenkins1 said:

I prompted KI about this a couple weeks ago right after the change.   They say it is part of a programmed change to the show to keep it unique.  I dont buy that answer as nothing else in the show has changed.

Two things changed:

”The Brady Bunch” 

The Robbie Knievel “1”

…both are copyrighted 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Seems odd that they didn’t get clearance for these before launching the show 

I am sure part of it is there have been so many acquisitions/mergers/split off/re-mergers, etc. that everytime that happens, an organization sold off or spun-off will take claim to an IP whether it is valid or not.  So the park could have obtained clearance from who says they own the IP, and then some spinoff organization claims that IP is theirs as part of the spin off (which would seem odd considering all the players remerged, but maybe the estate of Sherwood Schwartz makes claim to the logo?).  It could be anything really.  We are talking about a tv show that is over 50 years old, and its IP has gone thru lots of hands over the years. 

And the Knievel "1" could be some family dispute where a family member claims they own the IP and not the estate or something along those lines.  These things can get messy over time.  I seem to recall not to long ago a family dispute with Buzz Aldrin's family on who owns the IP of certain things he has.

That is likely the case and the process to go thru courts to determine who owns the IP could be years, so it is much simpler to simply change the show.  In the big scheme of things it doesn't distract from the show and isn't as super critical as some other IP conflicts have been regarding movies or other IP issues.

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if at some point some IP is disputed between CF and Paramount Global (what CBS/Viacom/Paramount are currently calling themselves).  These things can get messy.  Wouldn't it suck if Paramount Global made claim to the Phantom Theater IP...

I see two possibilities, both are as good of guesses as any:

1. They thought they could write “The Brady Bunch” with the drones since they aren’t really using the logo but they got a strike anyway. 

What I think is odd is that I don’t really associate the Brady Bunch with hippies, like I do the word “Groovy.” I suppose it doesn’t matter because people seem to pick up on it.

2. The “1” got a strike because the Knievel family is relentless about protecting their property. Having gotten to know Robbie, he’d get a kick out of it, but his posse of lawyers and handlers not so much. 

Either situation would likely cause all copyrighted materials to be pulled out of an abundance of caution. 

My guess is that the rainbow for HB is vague enough that they think they can get away with it.

Honestly, the Knievel section works better with the changes anyway. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if at some point some IP is disputed between CF and Paramount Global (what CBS/Viacom/Paramount are currently calling themselves).  These things can get messy.  Wouldn't it suck if Paramount Global made claim to the Phantom Theater IP...

That’s a thought I had just last night LOL I was thinking they missed an opportunity to cash in a bit on the PT nostalgia with a few PT items (like a T shirt with Larry “fringe” that looked like a butler uniform, or a shirt that claimed “I’m in the UNION”, or one with “You’ll be back” printed on the… back  but then I got to thinking who really “owns” the characters  R&R most likely sold usage rights, but to who at this point? And are those usage rights limited to original intended use (dark ride) or could those characters be used in other ways? Like done said, with the show they probably figured “out it in we can easily change it if we get dinged” 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

It's a small thing but I really enjoy that they have been playing a bit of the Fun, Fireworks and Fifty song with the closing announcement this week. I'd love to see the original music show up more often like this.

That is a nice touch on the non firework nights. Honestly that song so perfectly sums up the park that I wish they’d record it with a few tweaks (no 50) and use it all the time for in park, and external marketing. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Coasterteam said:

Hearing rumors that extra padding was added to the inside of The Beast final helix. 

Not sure what this could be but has anyone ridden Beast recently and noticed this said padding? Curious if it's real. 

Thanks

I haven't looked, but my guess would be it would be for the people that put their hands up/out and hit the tunnel.

• Like 2

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic