Top Thrill Dragster Incident

1 hour ago, jsus said:

However what?  You're not disagreeing with me.  I'm not going to speculate on the family's silence since no conclusions can be drawn from it.  I wish the media would stop throwing tantrums that they can't ID and harass them.

Not intending to speculate, but logically the family’s silence is under the strict advice of an attorney. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Not intending to speculate, but logically the family’s silence is under the strict advice of an attorney. 

Exactly. Also I don't think the family is biting their tongues, itching to tell the whole world the condition of this woman. That's not exactly the attention you want for your family, no less the person who was injured.

6 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

and now the Columbus dispatch

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/columns/2021/08/22/cedar-point-park-officials-mum-seriously-injured-guest/8148324002/

Media should know by now that Tony Clark only speaks when things are going great. 

I mean that's the job of a park spokesperson, they can't really elaborate any further on something like this at this time. I'm sure CP's legal team is making sure they don't say anything yet until the Department of Agriculture finishes their investigation.

I don't exactly know what people expect CP to say at this point.

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

Exactly. Also I don't think the family is biting their tongues, itching to tell the whole world the condition of this woman. That's not exactly the attention you want for your family, no less the person who was injured.

I mean that's the job of a park spokesperson, they can't really elaborate any further on something like this at this time. I'm sure CP's legal team is making sure they don't say anything yet until the Department of Agriculture finishes their investigation.

I don't exactly know what people expect CP to say at this point.

Not to make the same post twice on both sides of the aisle, but I’m sure Cedar Fair is also remaining silent under the advice of their attorneys.

• Like 2

I think the media is brining attention to the park not being more transparent and open about incidents in general. Understandably, the PR team is going to follow the legal teams lead. At the same time it makes it a nightmare for them.

What happened to the days of the communications director getting out and being the face of the company and giving updates? The public just wants to understand what happened, get personalized updates in a reasonable interval with compassion and concern from a park spokesman, and lastly know what the park is going to do to fix it.

When the park is not open about things, it sets them up to people thinking they are covering things up and the conspiracy theories are created.

• Like 3

I mean what does CP do?
Come out and say “yup it looks like a bolt came loose and that caused true metal object to hit the guest”

Then in court the other side can say “if they had taken care of the ride…”

No matter what CP says or does it can be used against them. Doesn’t make it right. It just means they don’t want to lose the lawsuit….. but I do agree that the media should continue to keep this in the news every day until we get answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And that is what makes it even more interesting that CP quickly said within hours of the accident that a part came off the train.

And there is internet speculation that CP doesn't even have the part in their possession doesn't help either.

Things can come off trains due to the stupidity of guests and it appears nobody knows for sure what hit her.

I am sure CP wishes they could take back that initial statement...

50 minutes ago, shark6495 said:

I mean what does CP do?
Come out and say “yup it looks like a bolt came loose and that caused true metal object to hit the guest”

Maybe I'm naive on how this process works these days? I realize it's going to be a no win situation no matter what the park does. I feel as a customer of Cedar Fair I would have a sense of ease about them if a park spokesman gets in front of a camera and shows concern, compassion, and sympathy for the situation and ensures it's customers they are going to do everything they can to make sure the ride is safe in the future.

Now, they did that with a press release, but that feels very sterile and not genuine compared to a live person communicating with emotion. But like I said, I'm sure there's reasons for this that I don't understand.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm naive on how this process works these days? I realize it's going to be a no win situation no matter what the park does. I feel as a customer of Cedar Fair I would have a sense of ease about them if a park spokesman gets in front of a camera and shows concern, compassion, and sympathy for the situation and ensures it's customers they are going to do everything they can to make sure the ride is safe in the future.
Now, they did that with a press release, but that feels very sterile and not genuine compared to a live person communicating with emotion. But like I said, I'm sure there's reasons for this that I don't understand.

There is a fear that a live person says just the wrong wording. If CP says “we vow to increase maintenance” then a lawyer may make it look like CP wasn’t doing it enough.

If CP says we feel terrible for her family and her rehab a lawyer may try to get CP to pay for long term care .

If CP says this was preventable…. You see what I’m getting at.

A well crafted letter from lawyers says nothing that could place blame.

As sad as it all is, I’d wager that CF will try and say that by buying a ticket we all assume responsibility for any accident that may happen and hurt us while her family will probably ask for medical bills and future needs.

Also I’m not a lawyer just know a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

It's hard to say what they're going to do to fix it when they still don't know what caused it. They already said they are investigating it with several parties. I wouldn't expect any real news on this for quite a long time. These investigations can take a long time. 

• Like 2

Going back to TTD-

If the train component struck the woman I believe they would be able to deduce it rather quickly by just seeing what part is missing. The ride goes 120mph so any number of parts can come lose. My questions would be how long was that train on the track before the incident happened? Was it running from when ride opened for the day or was transfered on later? Was it a part of the train that's difficult to access by maintenance crew? 

I feel like Cedar Point would at least be able to answer those questions but like others said, they're probably opting to say nothing at this time.

5 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I think the media is brining attention to the park not being more transparent and open about incidents in general. Understandably, the PR team is going to follow the legal teams lead. At the same time it makes it a nightmare for them.

What happened to the days of the communications director getting out and being the face of the company and giving updates? The public just wants to understand what happened, get personalized updates in a reasonable interval with compassion and concern from a park spokesman, and lastly know what the park is going to do to fix it.

When the park is not open about things, it sets them up to people thinking they are covering things up and the conspiracy theories are created.

They’ve been very transparent. The failure of the ride was a complex failure that will take time to do a route cause analysis.

The park has stated within hours that an incident occurred and a piece came off the train. They were up front about the nature and scope of the incident. 

To add to the complex nature of the incident, the bolts were found, but not the piece witnesses said came off the ride. It is highly probable it was scooped up by an enthusiast in line.

Furthermore, head injuries are very complex to diagnose and state the severity as well. It is not an injury someone can take a 5 minute look and order cast, braces, or prescription for.

Furthermore, the media leading the campaign is the Sandusky Register. In the last few weeks they have run a series of articles lambasting CF for “considering Charlotte” as their main HQ. To put that into perspective, they are upset that the chain wants to put its offices miles from one of the largest airports in the states.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

They’ve been very transparent. The failure of the ride was a complex failure that will take time to do a route cause analysis.

The park has stated within hours that an incident occurred and a piece came off the train. They were up front about the nature and scope of the incident. 

To add to the complex nature of the incident, the bolts were found, but not the piece witnesses said came off the ride. It is highly probable it was scooped up by an enthusiast in line.

Furthermore, head injuries are very complex to diagnose and state the severity as well. It is not an injury someone can take a 5 minute look and order cast, braces, or prescription for.

Furthermore, the media leading the campaign is the Sandusky Register. In the last few weeks they have run a series of articles lambasting CF for “considering Charlotte” as their main HQ. To put that into perspective, they are upset that the chain wants to put its offices miles from one of the largest airports in the states.

Don't CF have a company in Ohio reverse engineering parts for TTD among others???

35 minutes ago, coaster sally said:

Don't CF have a company in Ohio reverse engineering parts for TTD among others???

They never said reverse engineering parts for TTD. Jumping to conclusions when a technical investigation is being done can be a very dangerous thing and can lead to wrong conclusions. 

One example I always cite about the importance of jumping to conclusions a case when the federal government actually announced the results of their investigation into an air accident was caused by poorly manufactured parts, and then discovering days later that the AA had screwed up maintenance on the jet. In these situations, it’s best to sit back and wait.

On 8/20/2021 at 3:34 PM, KI FANATIC 37 said:

^ Man that article is rough. It goes in on her. 

I tried to hear her yell "I have an MD Im an ER doc" but I couldn't hear that in the vid I watched again. Im hoping she didn't say that..

The article is from a website who has a definition of:

"Exposing midlevel incompetence in the fight to ensure patient safety and preserve physician-led, physician-supervised medicine."

Needless to say, objectivity in sites like this is not their strong suit.  It's very similar to, but on opposite side of the spectrum of Sandusky Register.  Each has an agenda and both show more concern for that agenda then that of the victim.

On 8/21/2021 at 1:48 PM, DoomPlague said:

I hope she (the injured woman) is now recovering well. I was in line for TTD a couple weeks ago and I can't imagine... and if something had happened to the nephew who was in line with me...

Been a rough year for Intamin rides hasn't it? Though some would say that's every year.

It is most definitely an Intamin issue and their history of safety is just not good. 

Even though TTD has been with the park for sometime, it is still designed & engineered by Intamin.  It's like trying to convince us the the issue with the Ford Pinto was on the automobile owner and not the design & engineering of Ford.

It needs to be noted that given there has not been any information released on the victim- and that can be a positive thing that it appears to be recovery rather than decline.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

The article is from a website who has a definition of:

"Exposing midlevel incompetence in the fight to ensure patient safety and preserve physician-led, physician-supervised medicine."

Needless to say, objectivity in sites like this is not their strong suit.  It's very similar to, but on opposite side of the spectrum of Sandusky Register.  Each has an agenda and both show more concern for that agenda then that of the victim.

It is most definitely an Intamin issue and thier history of safety is just not good. 

Even though TTD has been with the park for sometime, it is still designed & engineered by Intamin.  It's like trying to convince us the the issue with the Ford Pinto was on the automobile owner and not the design & engineering of Ford.

It needs to be noted that given there has not been any information released on the victim- and that can be a positive thing that it appears to be recovery rather than decline.

Why did the rest of the accelerator coasters continue to run?

If you don't change brake pads/rotors and it explodes is it on you or the manufacturer?

6 hours ago, coaster sally said:

Why did the rest of the accelerator coasters continue to run?

If you don't change brake pads/rotors and it explodes is it on you or the manufacturer?

The rest of the accelerator coasters may be the same type of coaster, but possibly be a different design on the brake run.  It should also be noted that the other accelerators operating does not mean they were not given extensive inspection after hours.

The rumored angle iron that struck the victim is merely a support device.  There has been no clear indication that any type of brake exploding. We only know that a part came off on the brake run.

12 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

They never said reverse engineering parts for TTD. Jumping to conclusions when a technical investigation is being done can be a very dangerous thing and can lead to wrong conclusions. 

One example I always cite about the importance of jumping to conclusions a case when the federal government actually announced the results of their investigation into an air accident was caused by poorly manufactured parts, and then discovering days later that the AA had screwed up maintenance on the jet. In these situations, it’s best to sit back and wait.

There was an article last year or before last when TTD had extensive refurbishment and I believe the article quoted a engineering/manufacturing company out of Dayton I believe.

After enjoying Maverick, Mille, and TTD a few weeks back with my kids--complete with frustrating shut-downs, etc. I've realized that Intamins are like those unstable flakey girlfriends who you can never totally trust, but when everything lines up she reminds you why she's worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, HandsUp said:

After enjoying Maverick, Mille, and TTD a few weeks back with my kids--complete with frustrating shut-downs, etc. I've realized that Intamins are like those unstable flakey girlfriends who you can never totally trust, but when everything lines up she reminds you why she's worth it. 

So the frustrating four play is eliminated with thrill of the ride climax?  Gotcha!  ;)

53 minutes ago, HandsUp said:

or rides that were 20 years ahead of its time.  Technology has still not caught up with ttd.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

You basically confirmed that TTD's technology was obsolete

To many moving parts there is no way around that.  You won't see anymore large compressed air launces anymore either.  I am sure if intamin built a 200' hydraulic launch today similar to maxx force uptime would be high.

Gemini would had been torn down if intamin didn't invent the hydraulic launch.

LSM technology has improved so much.  They are using I believe 6th generation stators from a company in Germany today.