Top Thrill Dragster Incident

6 hours ago, Browntggrr said:

It is curious that there is marking in the actual load station.

Even if the LSM rumors are true, why would any digging be necessary there?

Electrical?

I don’t think many of us know enough about this. We don’t know what those markings mean, except that they mean something. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Electrical?

I don’t think many of us know enough about this. We don’t know what those markings mean, except that they mean something. 

The pink marking usually means temporary marking, but yeah, everything is speculation at this point.

CP Rundown has 60+ pics of the different colored markings around TTD everywhere from CS to the Breakers parking lot to BackLotBBQ. 

I give them credit, whoever took the pics was on the lookout everywhere.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

The pink marking usually means temporary marking, but yeah, everything is speculation at this point.

CP Rundown has 60+ pics of the different colored markings around TTD everywhere from CS to the Breakers parking lot to BackLotBBQ. 

I give them credit, whoever took the pics was on the lookout everywhere.

Pease do not take that as being a Negative Nancy! I really, really, really, really want it to reopen. I think that ride is incredible!!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Pease do not take that as being a Negative Nancy! I really, really, really, really want it to reopen. I think that ride is incredible!!!

Personally, I wish this tragic incident had never occurred and the ride was still open.

As for Cedar Fair, everything we know would indicate they wish the tragic incident never occurred because the ride was never built.

Might sound negative myself, but Cedar Fair has given no reason to believe that the ride will ever reopen.  They unequivocally came out and announced point blank that the ride will not open in 2022.  They could've reopened it if they wanted to, unless we're to believe ODA and the park still have not settled on a path to reopening.  And the ride was always on thin ice with management.  Then, self-insured Cedar Fair got hit with the financial implications of the incident.

If you were running Cedar Fair as a business, would you want the liability on top of the ongoing high maintenance costs, for what's now almost 20 years old?  This year would've been its 20th season.

All this is to say that it's best not to get anyone's hopes up on the idea of the ride reopening.  The markings do not definitively prove anything.  They do add to the circumstantial evidence pointing toward its imminent removal.

I say all this as someone who, if there were a thorough, transparent review into the ride a-la NTSB air crash investigations, where we could be sure that the same thing would never happen again, I would happily marathon TTD again.  Just don't expect to get the chance.

• Like 3

On 8/5/2022 at 12:21 AM, ziplock said:

No smugness here- I thought you were making a joke with your comment, given that we are all very much aware that the markings are present for the purpose of excavation.

The purpose of my post was merely to point out that more activity has taken place on the Dragster station and queue area, which has sat dormant for nearly a year.  And my "take that as you will statement", was more so in reference to what this activity may mean for any speculation regarding the future of the ride.

Clearly there are no definitive sources on the matter, but I think that markings all over the vicinity, including IN the station, are an indication of changes being done to the ride in the near future. Whether that be demolition or renovation- none of us are really sure. But the discussion of these possibilities IS the topic at hand, isn't it?

Ok back to lurking for another 13 years

I saw nothing wrong with the original post you created. Please don't stop posting because someone misinterpreted how you wrote your post. 

• Like 1

One can certainly see removal or re-opening based on their perspective/bias for the ride.  Time will tell the fate.

We have heard the arguments why it won't reopen (and all are valid points BTW).

Some arguments why it might re-open include:

• If they planned to remove it, then why not simply remove it from the website, park map, queue wait times, etc.  Just show a blank space like Mean Streak and SOB?
  • Saying it wouldn't reopen in 2022 likely indicates that they had not decided at the start of the season the fate yet.
  • Those are a lot of markings well outside of the ride area - if they are switching significant electrical components and more power is needed there, that could explain the markings further away.  Or the markers away from the ride are part of the removal and renovation of that area.  But some the markers are too far away for a simple removal of the ride.
  • The markings do not extend or go beyond the top hat portion - maybe they are not done surveying, but the largest part of the structure would certainly have utilities marked it it were coming down.
  • Removing/trimming the bushes in the turnaround area would be low priority in removal of the ride.  Could this be a relocated queue area?

We will find out soon enough, but all we know for sure is that activity is happening around the ride that sat dormant most of the year.  It could be for removal or it could be for refurbishment.

• Like 2

One interesting observation someone made was that the markers extend East and to the midway, but do not extend West to Camp Snoopy.

Perhaps a midway facelift instead of TTD removal?

We should know more on Thursday- if TTD is "quietly" discussed I would say that is a good thing for the ride staying.  If it's ignored, not so good.

• Like 2

Interesting tidbit: TTD's tower lights have been on at night for over a week & now the drop side can be seen in the webcam (along with SV drop & part of Gemini).  I do not recall seeing this view before.

I honestly believed TTD had given it's last rides, but now with the ride being "highlighted" (for lack of a better word) it appears that may not be the case.

Or it's just a complete coincidence....:lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Browntggrr said:

Interesting tidbit: TTD's tower lights have been on at night for over a week & now the drop side can be seen in the webcam (along with SV drop & part of Gemini).  I do not recall seeing this view before.

I honestly believed TTD had given it's last rides, but now with the ride being "highlighted" (for lack of a better word) it appears that may not be the case.

Or it's just a complete coincidence....:lol:

Or it's Tony & co messing with you.  Not that they would ever do something like that...

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, disco2000 said:

As long as it doesn't end up in the defunct rides graveyard....

Given the impact it has on the Cedar Point skyline, you can rest assured they'll do everything they realistically can to save it. But something this unique and extreme can only be sustained for so long. If it runs another season, now is the time to get that credit if you don't have it.

10 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

“As you know it…”

”Re-imagined…”

I was fortunate to join the elusive “rollback” club about 5 years ago.  Once I had that experience, I moved on.  A fun ride, but it is time for change.  It had a good run.

Very interesting wording for sure.

• Like 2

That wording caught me off guard… I thought it would be leaving for good, but maybe not…

If it were to be retired completely, I wouldn’t be surprised. However, it would be strange not seeing that huge structure at the park any longer. Also weird that their two back to back launch coasters would get the axe (?) within the same two years. Different circumstances, I know, but still…

Perhaps the cost of removal is so great, re-engineering the ride to today's technology has comparable expense/ ROI?

TTD's issues from day one, including the unfortunate recent incident a year ago, dealt with the ride's technology, not the structure.

I am excited to see what the future holds.  I also wonder if Intamin will be involved.

• Like 1

With this wording I can 100% see why they would word it this way. People know TTDS as it is now, a hydrologic launch. To reopen the ride with a new launch tech and keep the theme as is it would seem like a downgrade. Rebranding entirely tells you it's not the same and you shouldn't have the same expectations. Kind of like jolly rancher remix for example (minus nothing happened to the ride system itself)

• Like 1

I would just like to add that the announcement said the park was working on "a new and reimagined ride experience", meaning they are referring to a single ride instead of saying, "we'll keep building cool rides don't worry".  

Now that could just mean that they already have a plan on a coaster they want to replace it with, the reimagine part hinting to it being a similar attraction or an homage to dragster. But they may be referring to the ride that's already there. 

I should also say that Six Flags over Texas just pulled something similar. That doesn't really mean anything, it's just kinda weird.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DiamondBeast said:

I would just like to add that the announcement said the park was working on "a new and reimagined ride experience", meaning they are referring to a single ride instead of saying, "we'll keep building cool rides don't worry".  

Now that could just mean that they already have a plan on a coaster they want to replace it with, the reimagine part hinting to it being a similar attraction or an homage to dragster. But they may be referring to the ride that's already there. 

I should also say that Six Flags over Texas just pulled something similar. That doesn't really mean anything, it's just kinda weird.  

Also, "Top Thrill Dragster, as you know it, is being retired".

Not "Top Thrill Dragster is being retired.  A new ride experience will open in the future."

If the words were chosen carefully, it is evident that Top Thrill Dragster, the name and its corresponding theme, is not being retired.

Interesting.  Very, very interesting.  Did not expect them to go this route, but it'll be interesting to see what they have in store.

• Like 3