Top Thrill Dragster Incident

My guess is:  1)  Change launch to LSM; 2) Redirect or cover the queue and 3) Potential name change.  Changing the top hat height would probably require re-engineering some of the supports.  My only wish would be that they would lengthen the coaster to include a better layout but the cash outlay would be enormous, given the potential changeover to LSM's (including retrofitting the trains with that equipment).

• Like 3

In the report it's clear to me there was a problem from looking at the pictures. This could have been avoided if they would have looked into it. The rust, rub marks and bent metal clearly show it was coming. The bolt had rust in it where it had a fracture for some time and didn't just happen. To me it looks like the train wasn't tracking where it should have been for whatever reason.

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2022 at 9:13 PM, Skibum said:

My guess is:  1)  Change launch to LSM; 2) Redirect or cover the queue and 3) Potential name change.  Changing the top hat height would probably require re-engineering some of the supports.  My only wish would be that they would lengthen the coaster to include a better layout but the cash outlay would be enormous, given the potential changeover to LSM's (including retrofitting the trains with that equipment).

Not to mention the cranes it took to build TTD's top hat in the 1st place are not common and had to be brought in special. 

2 hours ago, KIBeast said:

Not to mention the cranes it took to build TTD's top hat in the 1st place are not common and had to be brought in special. 

Yep.  There aren't many cranes in the world tall enough to work on TTD's 420' top hat.  They're massive.  Thus, they're expensive to rent.

Any work on the tower short of maintenance tasks like repainting would require cranes of that size to be brought in.  Be that adding to the height, taking away height, re-tracking it, or removing it.

If they're already going to the expense of bringing in the extremely expensive and hard to schedule cranes, it would seem to make more sense to just tear down the entire top hat.  But that's the most valuable part of the structure, at which point, what's the benefit over removing the ride entirely?  All the ride really is, is some shuttle track on the ground to get you around, the launch, and the top hat.  Keeping the top hat necessitates keeping the launch, and almost vice versa.

The hydraulic launch system is notoriously unreliable overall, and has been a safety issue from the start.  Replacing that with the LSMs many of us suspect will be installed would do wonders for safety and reliability.  That's a notable change in the ride experience, even more with the new trains to go along with it.

There's always the chance of the ride being expanded, but the most likely scenario is a full upgrade of the electrical and mechanical systems (control system, launch mechanism, etc.).  Modifying the top hat requires similar expense to just removing the ride entirely and wouldn't significantly improve the ride experience.  It's not a detriment to the ride.  The structure overall isn't a safety or reliability issue thus not a top priority for investment.  Everything else is.

• Like 2

^ Based upon the vague information given, I can see multiple launches including a launch up a spike, rollback, then launch again with a switch track- similar to Pantheon at BGW just on a larger scale but not using the current top hat.

Intamin has had some recent success with a few new coasters.  Perhaps CF will work with them sooner than later.

• Like 2