Should GCI Overhaul The Beast?

SonofBaconator

Before I'm met with pitchforks and torches.

The Beast is over 40 years old now and as the longest wooden roller coaster in the world, (3rd longest coaster in the world), it shows its age at times. Would it be beneficial to close The Beast for a season, (or part of a season), to completely overhaul it? GCI came in and worked on Ghostrider at KBF and I've heard people love it. We also brought in GCI to do some work on The Racer. Maybe some new trains?

I'd like to hear some feedback

• Thanks 1

Gravity Group did Racers re-tracking this past off season, from my understanding. Though either of them could do the job.

The train is another issue. I wouldn't be against MFs and think they could greatly improve the experience. Haven't been on timberliners but hear negative things. Not a fan of the PTCs but they have the history to them and some fans would throw a fit if The Beast had anything else. EDIT: Plus there's something to be said about keeping the experience different on Beast and MT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coaster sally said:

millenium flyers are too bulky as well as timberliners IMO.  No need for the articulation anyways.

Bulkier than the current PTC's? Not a chance. 

I would hope GCI could make longer trains than the 12 car trains they normally do on Flyers though if they get their hands on Beast. 

20 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I would hope GCI could make longer trains than the 12 car trains they normally do on Flyers though if they get their hands on Beast. 

You are able to spread out more on flyers. To match The Beast's current capacity the flyers would have to have 18 rows.

Hypothetically speaking, if The Beast was overhauled, I'd like to see if they could modify the track to not require as many trims without compromising its length.

• Like 2

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes *gaaaaasp* they should.

Did I mention that they should?

I really don’t like The Beast, and for one specific thing. The roughness. Gci or gravity group should come in and retrack the thing. It’s gotten unbearable and I think something needs to be done about.

Hey, did I mention that they should retrack The Beast?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

You are able to spread out more on flyers. To match The Beast's current capacity the flyers would have to have 18 rows.

Hypothetically speaking, if The Beast was overhauled, I'd like to see if they could modify the track to not require as many trims without compromising its length.

I've been wondering about the weight of the different trains available. If the train is light enough, it won't wear on the track as much and theoretically you could let off on the trims. You would need to anyways since less weight means it loses speed more quickly. The Beast is heavily trimmed, so I wonder how well a lighter train would do without any trimming at all?

Here's an idea. Put some LSMs in that long midcourse brake section B)

• Confused 1

I really like The Racer re-track, but a huge part of me is skeptical. Part of the charm of The Beast is it's jerking/rumbling. It makes the ride feel more wild and out of control. And, honestly if you ask me, I think The Beast has gotten smoother. I used to get bruises on the thing all the time, but now not even sitting in the middle or very back of the car will end in a bruise. Honestly, they should just leave their sacred cow alone.      

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DiamondBeast said:

I really like The Racer re-track, but a huge part of me is skeptical. Part of the charm of The Beast is it's jerking/rumbling. It makes the ride feel more wild and out of control. And, honestly if you ask me, I think The Beast has gotten smoother. I used to get bruises on the thing all the time, but now not even sitting in the middle or very back of the car will end in a bruise. Honestly, they should just leave there sacred cow alone.      

I got quite few bruises my last couple trips. Middle of the car is usually okay but still pretty shaky. I do get what you're saying about it feeling out of control but I only feel that's the case when its running particularly fast, like the rain ride I got earlier in the season. It was the first time in my life where I hit the midcourse trims and went "thank god." In fact my nephew and I said it in unison. It was a lot of fun because of how ridiculous it seemed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DoomPlague said:

I got quite few bruises my last couple trips. Middle of the car is usually okay but still pretty shaky. I do get what you're saying about it feeling out of control but I only feel that's the case when its running particularly fast, like the rain ride I got earlier in the season. It was the first time in my life where I hit the midcourse trims and went "thank god." In fact my nephew and I said it in unison. It was a lot of fun because of how ridiculous it seemed.

Reminds me of my nieces first ride. She insisted on holding my hand which was a huge mistake. When I reached out to hold her hand my elbow was rested against her head. Each time we hit a turn I could feel her slam her head into my arm but she refused to let me move. She still managed to hold my hand for the entire ride and even had a mark on her head to prove it. 

Wish they could do something about that midcourse. It really is a momentum killer(I know it's supposed to slow you down, but man). As for bruises, I purposely try to get them(it's a tradition in our family to ride in the roughest seats as possible) and I haven't even gotten a mark for quite some time. I'm sure you get more rides in throughout the season because I only visit the park a couple times a year (I'm a Wisconsin native). Through my experience, though, I feel the ride has gotten much tamer over the years. I'm just worried a re-track would tame it even more. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

How about we instead get a ground up RMC and leave The Beast a wood coaster?

But then fewer people would click the video :P

I've said before, even ignoring the significance of The Beast to both the park and the industry...its not even the type of wood that is ideal for the RMC treatment since its a terrain coaster.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

I was excited earlier this summer when my daughter enjoyed Beast in 8+ years and said: "Dad, Beast is great.  There is nothing else like it!"

-Brown- proud father of an enthusiast daughter. :)

My youngest got his first ride on Beast this year. (Finally hit 48") It is now good favorite in the park.

• Like 4

RMC's 208 RetraK might make sense in the future.

https://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/wood-coaster-refurbishment/

"208 RetraK is our latest innovation in track replacement and is based on our proven Ibox and Topper track designs. 208 RetraK will last for years and eliminate the need for continuous inspection, repair, and replacement of traditional wooden track. Additionally, 208 RetraK is able to utilize a rides existing trains, mechanical system, and controls to deliver a smoother ride, reduced downtime, and improved wheel longevity at a reasonable price.

Custom 208 RetraK is precision manufactured utilizing RMC’s laser measurement system, CNC plasma cut, and patented semi-automated welding technology. 208 RetraK is manufactured with premium grade weathered steel to match the existing coaster profile and installs effortlessly to existing structure.

208 RetraK can be utilized as a small track upgrade in a troubled area of a coaster, or even as a full coaster renovation. Simple track upgrades of 150’ or more can be installed throughout a ride and added onto year after year. A complete circuit replacement at one time is also possible.

208 RetraK can be installed turnkey by RMC’s factory team or by the park with RMC providing technical support."

GCI Titan Track is similar (I think 208 Retrak was a response to Titan track?). I know titan track is marketing with the ability to transition from steel to wood. I could see it used on the more problematic parts of the ride but then how much can you convert to that before its no longer a wood coaster?

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, DiamondbackFan said:

RMC's 208 RetraK might make sense in the future.

https://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/wood-coaster-refurbishment/

"208 RetraK is our latest innovation in track replacement and is based on our proven Ibox and Topper track designs. 208 RetraK will last for years and eliminate the need for continuous inspection, repair, and replacement of traditional wooden track. Additionally, 208 RetraK is able to utilize a rides existing trains, mechanical system, and controls to deliver a smoother ride, reduced downtime, and improved wheel longevity at a reasonable price.

Custom 208 RetraK is precision manufactured utilizing RMC’s laser measurement system, CNC plasma cut, and patented semi-automated welding technology. 208 RetraK is manufactured with premium grade weathered steel to match the existing coaster profile and installs effortlessly to existing structure.

208 RetraK can be utilized as a small track upgrade in a troubled area of a coaster, or even as a full coaster renovation. Simple track upgrades of 150’ or more can be installed throughout a ride and added onto year after year. A complete circuit replacement at one time is also possible.

208 RetraK can be installed turnkey by RMC’s factory team or by the park with RMC providing technical support."

Any post with the suggestion of replacing wood track for steel on The Beast is a direct violation of the terms of service in KICentral forums if I’m not mistaken, surely it’s in the fine print. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

The Beast is fine if you ride on rows 1 or 2 of any of the train's six cars, its that rear row of each car that gives you the shakes. That being said, so long as the ride was kept wood and true to its original layout—I would love to see it get a full overhaul that provided something like...

• Nice re-tracking and re-profiling where needed.
• Some sleek new trains that provide more comfort and smoother ride + a refreshed visual style.
• Some nice refreshing of the station—clean up that olde queue line a bit, make it a bit more spacious, give a fresh look to the theming of the station. 

All that being said, I think The Racer deserves some true love before The Beast... gleaming new paint job, new beautiful trains, synchronized racing, a nice light package along the course, fully revamped track, etc. 

• Thanks 3

On 8/22/2021 at 8:36 PM, DoomPlague said:

I've been wondering about the weight of the different trains available. If the train is light enough, it won't wear on the track as much and theoretically you could let off on the trims. You would need to anyways since less weight means it loses speed more quickly. The Beast is heavily trimmed, so I wonder how well a lighter train would do without any trimming at all?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe MFs are lighter than PTCs so that would require less trims. Imagine riding The Beast on Millennium Flyers without trims, I would be in heaven

14 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe MFs are lighter than PTCs so that would require less trims. Imagine riding The Beast on Millennium Flyers without trims, I would be in heaven

That was my thought but I don't know the weight difference or how much speed a light train might lose even by the time it gets to the second lift, and so on. But its a fun thought.

• Like 1