Iron Gwazi opening officially pushed back to 2022

^ And that is very unfortunate as the same methods of selling passes were done in fall of 2020.

All 3 Sea World Parks & entertainment coasters that were anticipated to open in 2021 have not opened with two of them officially pushed to 2022.

All 3 have different manufacturers but look to have the same result of not operating in 2021.

• Like 1

I get that everyone is patting themselves on the back with how great a business decision it was to withhold these new rides and essentially lie to their membership base because they'll all want to ride them whenever these attractions finally open, but it just sucks. Being squeezed more and more as a consumer all the time is crappy and sad. Nice that all former members of a qualifying range will get a chance to ride, at least. 

• Like 1

I don't think we are patting ourselves on the back over this business decision...quite the opposite, we are saying despite them not opening these attractions, they are making money and more than their peers. some of which went ahead with planned improvements.

That comes down to consumers not caring about being "squeezed more and more" that new rides were not opened more than the business decision....

If consumers cared, they wouldn't haven't visited the park and let lackluster attendance force their hand to open it this year...instead folks and spending came out in almost record form, so the execs are simply rolling with what the market is telling them - that do not need to open these attractions this year and instead market them in 2022...

As long as people talk with their wallets, said actions will continue....and some chain may use this data point as justifications to not spend money on new attractions...

16 hours ago, DiamondbackFan said:

For comparison - Q2 income:

SeaWorld: $82 million

Six Flags: $70 million

Cedar Fair: -$59 million

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of each entities' seasonal park vs. year round parks as well as the breakdown of each park that was not able, opened late or could not open 100% due to the pandemic. 

2 hours ago, Browntggrr said:

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of each entities' seasonal park vs. year round parks as well as the breakdown of each park that was not able, opened late or could not open 100% due to the pandemic. 

I was going to say, Sea World and Six Flags have more year round properties and extended seasons than we do. 

If Cedar Fair had a larger year round property they would get in more revenue.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Speaking of Avelanch... er, Reptilian, the new paint job looks pretty cool. I rode Avalanche back in 2001 and enjoyed it. It was pretty unique and so far, that is the only bobsled coaster I have ridden. [see below]

EDIT: I take that back... forgot I rode Disaster Transport before it closed... that was a fun and interesting ride!

• Like 1

Iron Gwazi was testing today when I was at BGT. I have a VIP passholder reservation to ride it next Friday on February 11th. Then they will have it open exclusively to passholders on select days until March 11th when it opens to the public. 

• Like 2

It looks like it will be a great ride. I also rode Ice Breaker at Sea World Orlando this week as it is open exclusively to passholders at this time. I got 5 rides on it yesterday. It's a solid ride. My only gripe is the shin pads that are on Premier Rides. It's still a fun ride. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2022 at 8:27 PM, Thabto said:

Iron Gwazi was testing today when I was at BGT. I have a VIP passholder reservation to ride it next Friday on February 11th. Then they will have it open exclusively to passholders on select days until March 11th when it opens to the public. 

So how was it? Haven't been to the park in about a year but this should bring me back.

• 2 weeks later...

Iron Gwazi is nice one although I am not a big fan of retrofit RMC.  I love ground up RMC wooden coasters though.  Like most RMC coasters, train design is terrible. More re-ridable than Steel Vengeance or Storm Chaser but still not the most comfortable ride.  

This coaster just knocked out Millennium Force out of my top 20 favorite steel coaster. 

• Like 1

We are rotating SFoG, Dollywood and Carowinds.  Obviously, Fury 325 is the reason we go to Carowinds the most.  This park is also the closest to us.  We love Dollywood for atmosphere as well as 2 great wooden coasters. (Is Lightning Rod still a woody?)  Surprisingly, SFoG is quite enjoyable.  We were able to get gold SF passes for $40 each for 2022.  Goliath and Twisted Cyclone are the one we ride the most.  

We go up to KI about 5 to 6 times a year.  My daughter is still in that area, so that we are semi regulars still. I ran into several coaster friends at KI last year. 

How about you?  How do you like Orion?  Also, have you rode the new Beast yet?

• Like 1

I know you weren't talking to me, but The Beast won't be reopened until mid to late May IIRC.  Still finishing up work on it.  Orion is fun, great first drop (I know Furty is taller but I can't recall if the drop itself is longer than Fury or not. I imagine the experience is pretty similar) I've only been on it once so don't have much to add other than the drop seemed like forever.