World's Fastest Accelerating Roller Coaster Shut down to due to Broken Bones

The Do-Dodonpa roller coaster in Japan's Fuji-Q Highland, the fastest-accelerating roller coaster in the world, going from zero to 112 miles per hour in 1.56 seconds has been shut down due to people breaking their back or neck on this ride.  Early speculation is that the injuries are due to passengers leaning forward in the seat at launch and thus are being slammed into the seat at acceleration.

I would assume that the TTD "Keep arms down, head back, and hold on" spiel is appropriate for this ride as well given it launches even faster than TTD!

https://www.newsweek.com/worlds-fastest-accelerating-roller-coaster-closes-after-breaking-riders-bones-1622266

In addition to not sitting properly.  It sounds stupid and dumb to say that, but if you are leaning forward and or left/right over the restraint, you could have 1-2 feet of separation between your back and the seatback, so hitting that in under 2 seconds over 100mph can cause some damage, and most people do not think of that sitting on a coaster like that.

They will probably have to end up putting OTSR on it....

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

In addition to not sitting properly.  It sounds stupid and dumb to say that, but if you are leaning forward and or left/right over the restraint, you could have 1-2 feet of separation between your back and the seatback, so hitting that in under 2 seconds over 100mph can cause some damage, and most people do not think of that sitting on a coaster like that.

They will probably have to end up putting OTSR on it....

Don't it still have them, they did.

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

So you just defend intense coasters in general, not just intamins? 

I think its just Intamins.  He'd try to defend SFMM's defunct Flashback coaster if prompted. 

Also, just quit trying to get any context from him.  He never explains himself ever. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, coaster sally said:

yes a couple years ago, what about the millions that has ridden it?  Also pre existing conditions probably is a cause 

Pre-existing conditions was a term often thrown around when it came to injuries on SoB.

What gets lost in the mix: people who enjoy rides often did so without incident or injury.  Then they ride Do-Dodonpa or SoB and suddenly have an injury that gets chalked up as "pre existing".  If they never had an injury until one particular ride, how does "pre existing" come into play?

Look folks, here are some facts.  Everyone knows I enjoy coasters for the same reason I enjoy drag racing and kart racing, and why the only motorcycles I enjoy are (usually highly modified) sportbikes.... to get me amped up and my heart rate high and when its over leave me out of breath and sometimes thinking "What the Hell just happened there in those 2 minutes or less?"  However, even though I will not hesitate for one second to admit I "defend intense coasters" regardless of manufacturer (Yes folks, I will happily defend the first B&M that can actually give me the feelings I described here IF they are ever able to make one), I also feel that doing something ludicrous to simply set some stupid meaningless record while disregarding the life and safety of a human is asinine and if it is determined that Fuji-Q did this then by all means go after them.  My issue with demonzing this particular ride in this case is this statement here..."Early speculation is that the injuries are due to passengers leaning forward in the seat at launch".  IF this turns out to be the root cause of the injuries, anyone with a rational mind SHOULD be able to realize that it was the humans, not the device.  How about this... anyone on this site who can say they have NEVER played the game of cat and mouse with the Dragster ride ops to be able to throw their arms up right at launch speak up now.  Hmmm, yep, crickets just as I expected.  We have ALL done that, myself included, because its simple human nature and if I happened to have my arm, neck, or back injured because of it Id own it and say "Yep, they warned me and I played the game thinking the juice was worth the squeeze and was wrong, my bad" instead of running to dial 1-800-CALL KEN or other ambulance chaser.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

Look folks, here are some facts.  Everyone knows I enjoy coasters for the same reason I enjoy drag racing and kart racing, and why the only motorcycles I enjoy are (usually highly modified) sportbikes.... to get me amped up and my heart rate high and when its over leave me out of breath and sometimes thinking "What the Hell just happened there in those 2 minutes or less?"  However, even though I will not hesitate for one second to admit I "defend intense coasters" regardless of manufacturer (Yes folks, I will happily defend the first B&M that can actually give me the feelings I described here IF they are ever able to make one), I also feel that doing something ludicrous to simply set some stupid meaningless record while disregarding the life and safety of a human is asinine and if it is determined that Fuji-Q did this then by all means go after them.  My issue with demonzing this particular ride in this case is this statement here..."Early speculation is that the injuries are due to passengers leaning forward in the seat at launch".  IF this turns out to be the root cause of the injuries, anyone with a rational mind SHOULD be able to realize that it was the humans, not the device.  How about this... anyone on this site who can say they have NEVER played the game of cat and mouse with the Dragster ride ops to be able to throw their arms up right at launch speak up now.  Hmmm, yep, crickets just as I expected.  We have ALL done that, myself included, because its simple human nature and if I happened to have my arm, neck, or back injured because of it Id own it and say "Yep, they warned me and I played the game thinking the juice was worth the squeeze and was wrong, my bad" instead of running to dial 1-800-CALL KEN or other ambulance chaser.

Unfortunately in today's society, owning up to one's own mistake is a lost trait these days.

How many people have had their fingers nipped on The Beast tunnels and were like "my bad".

How many people lose their phone on a ride because they had it out and were like "my bad".

How many incidents have we seen where a mask is a requirement to enter a business and someone doesn't and an employee politely informs them of the policy and the person is like "my bad".  Many instances the employee is assaulted. 

How many times have you been second in line at a stop light and the person in front of you is clearly texting and the light turns green and after 10 seconds you give a courtesy quick horn tap instead of laying down on it and they wave "my bad".  I usually get flipped off LOL, but sometimes people road rage with worse results.  My friend did a light horn tap once in that situation and the guy flipped him off and took off and turned down a street ahead.  A little later my friend is sitting at a light and gets sucker punched and got his jaw broken - by that guy that was road raging.