Interesting new merchandise

homestar92

Kings Island has launched some neat new merch on their online store:

https://www.kingsislandgear.com/collections/new-apparel?fbclid=IwAR2dGRGLhzv0U0mpBlMY1ID3_0MurAhrdPRV_Piq9RVxdKKtx90vHzwKw6A

This is a pretty regular occurrence. Not normally worthy of a topic here on KIC. But, of note is that there are at least two things about the new merch that are out of character. One is a semi-official acknowledgement of the Son of Beast station's continued existence in the photos for the GPS coordinate signs. This is definitely not a hint or a teaser, just something unusual that made me smile.

There is another piece among the collection that is particularly interesting. In the name of keeping things fun and interesting, I will only mention that one of them has something extremely... out of character... and I speculate that it may, perhaps, be an accidental (or maybe not so accidental) spoiler of a 50th anniversary plan. See if you guys can figure it out. The only hint I will give comes from an old Sesame Street classic:

11 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

Kings Island has launched some neat new merch on their online store:

https://www.kingsislandgear.com/collections/new-apparel?fbclid=IwAR2dGRGLhzv0U0mpBlMY1ID3_0MurAhrdPRV_Piq9RVxdKKtx90vHzwKw6A

This is a pretty regular occurrence. Not normally worthy of a topic here on KIC. But, of note is that there are at least two things about the new merch that are out of character. One is a semi-official acknowledgement of the Son of Beast station's continued existence in the photos for the GPS coordinate signs. This is definitely not a hint or a teaser, just something unusual that made me smile.

There is another piece among the collection that is particularly interesting. In the name of keeping things fun and interesting, I will only mention that one of them has something extremely... out of character... and I speculate that it may, perhaps, be an accidental (or maybe not so accidental) spoiler of a 50th anniversary plan. See if you guys can figure it out. The only hint I will give comes from an old Sesame Street classic:

I think I see it, but I will resist posting until others have the opportunity to see this thread and take a shot at it. :D

8 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

I’ve looked and tried to figure out what you are referring to being out of place but I can’t figure it out for the life of me. Seems normal to me at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will give one more hint.

When I used the phrase "out of character", it may have had more than one meaning. What they did was fairly odd, by Cedar Fair standards.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, New Horizons said:

The only thing I can think of is KI renaming Woodstock express back to beastie. I’ve been wanting that forever .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I was getting at.

Cedar Fair has never, to my recollection, ever referred to a ride by an outdated name on any official channels. The only context I've ever seen them use an old name is in a little historical blurb to the effect of "Invertigo opened in 1998 under the name Face/Off". To see an outdated name on official merchandise is basically unheard of. Either they are breaking from their usual norms and using the name Beastie since so many people still call it that anyway, or the name "Beastie" will no longer be outdated in a few months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

From that sign listing all the rides, I also noticed Flying Ace (fka Rugrats Runaway Reptar) and Top Gun (now called The Bat) are missing from that list.

EDIT: Also, really interesting signs... :D

Also noticed that most are listed by the year they were built except Beastie (Scooby Doo) is below The Beast.

As far as why they stuck with that name, I think they just avoided putting any licensed trademarks (including current licenses) on the sign and probably know that long time fans still think of it as Beastie.