Should the International Street Restaurant be open all season long for the 50th?

Dj325

Should the International Street Restaurant be open all season long?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Next year Kings Island will be celebrating its 50th anniversary:D!! Obviously, there will probably be a few changes made around the park, like the Eiffel Tower being repainted. One of the things that I think they should do for the 50th, is that they should have the International Street Restaurant open all season long, instead of just during Winterfest or other special events that I probably don't know about. Inside the restaurant they could have old photos of Kings Island and old park advertisements hanging up on the walls. It would also offer some great views of International Street, since during Winterfest the park is open mostly when it's night. So what's your opinion? Do you think they should have the restaurant open all season long, do you think they should just have it open during Winterfest or other special events, or are you fine with either?

• Like 3

Back when the International Restaurant was open during the summer, it was always a highlight of our trip. You took an hour or so out of the sun to take in a beautiful view and a nice, sit-down meal (I was only a kid, but I remember the steak being pretty good). My favorite area was actually the lobby, though, which had old news stories about the park framed and put on the wall (that's the first time I ever heard of The Bat's original form). I've always been bummed that it's closed. 

But it's definitely a smaller restaurant -- it would have to either be overhauled or placed on a reservation-only system. I would love to see it turned into kind of a nice lounge or bar area, where some of the grownups can take in a drink at the end of the day. 

Honestly, the best-case scenario would be an overhaul of the front gates that also accommodated a larger restaurant above that maintained the view but also expanded the capacity. But I'm torn on that because I really do love the front gates Kings Island has now...they feel like a legit entranceway and the way it's designed hides International Street until you get there, and that's always one of the great parts of any trip. 

• Like 2

I've never gotten to eat up there. The 1 time it was open when we visited for Mother's Day, line was an hour just to get in. Couldn't wait that long for food though. Think a reservation system would be a good use here due to the limited capacity. 

What do they use it for when it isn't open for events anyway?

The better plan would be to have it open in a limited capacity and sell the crap out of it as a conference center where businesses could hold meetings and their employees families could use the park during the day while the employee's sat thru morning meetings.  then everyone joins up for lunch and goes about their way to enjoy the park in the afternoon.  Seems like there would be/should be a market for that during the week.

Then let the restaurant serve as a reservation only restaurant during the evenings and on weekends.   Could even clear it out for a reservation only "dessert and fireworks" special starting around 9:30.  How many families would want to take advantage of a nice ice cream sunday, cakes, pies, fudge, etc.... right before the start of fireworks.  Seems like that could be a money maker on a daily basis.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I would love that! Do an all season long buffet and change it up for certain events. Another cool idea I thought of which is unlikely since it would require a lot of work is enclosing the second floors of the buildings on International Street and make them into VIP lounges that could overlook istreet. 

I thought the 2nd floors were not full size. Like 3/4 to save money? I could be wrong. 

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I thought the 2nd floors were not full size. Like 3/4 to save money? I could be wrong. 

The windows and such are at a smaller scale than normal for forced perspective.  I think it was Bruce Bushman who designed IS using the principle that was used at Disney--it makes the buildings look bigger.  I'll have to go back and read @KIghostguy's book to be sure of names and concepts.

The majority of the 2nd floors are probably just facades.  If you look from the ET, you can see most of the buildings have flat roofs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

The majority of the 2nd floors are probably just facades.  If you look from the ET, you can see most of the buildings have flat roofs.

Google Maps satellite imagery shows the same thing.  The "second floor" facades are just that, facades.  The real building roof is lower than the facade and flat, as you say.  French Corner is especially obvious this way.  Link for reference: https://goo.gl/maps/7nEh5ymGNTwxEJTV7

image.png

And yet, it looks like this from International Street (from when Starbucks was at that site in 2011):

image.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

The park added a passenger elevator several years back to provide ADA access to the second floor (main level of the IR).  Prior to that, the only accessible access was through a freight/back of house elevator.

Good to know.

Was the rest of the restaurant upgraded for ADA as well?

10 hours ago, jsus said:

Google Maps satellite imagery shows the same thing.  The "second floor" facades are just that, facades.  The real building roof is lower than the facade and flat, as you say.  French Corner is especially obvious this way.  Link for reference: https://goo.gl/maps/7nEh5ymGNTwxEJTV7

image.png

And yet, it looks like this from International Street (from when Starbucks was at that site in 2011):

image.png

Fun Fact, there is a 2nd floor above the Spanish Building (Sweet Spot) This location was used for offices during the 90s, hasn't been since.

The only way to access the upstairs is via ladder once they removed the midway facing steps. 

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Well, here we are in 2022, I think KI should open International Street Restaurant at least in the summer for the 50th anniversary.  Anyone's options change?  

I was thinking, Kings Island should add another restaurant that overlooks IS, a perfect spot would be where Animal Fair, KI Trading Company and the men's restrooms are.  Build a new building there to house both of those shops, we get new men's restrooms, and a nice new restaurant to overlook International Street on the 2nd floor, it will give different views, it won't be as big as the one over the entrance, they can open it up on busy days, or special occasions, and have both restaurants open during Winterfest.

• Like 2

I had heard that the plan was to open the IR several years ago from many credible sources. I had heard that it wash pushed back when Chef Major came in so he could have time to develop the menu. Since this was a few years ago at this point, it's safe to say that the plans were either shelved or weren't very serious in the first place. I think their their concentration on the culinary experience of events has shifted their concentration. 

Personally I'd love to see it opened. Even if it weren't on the meal plan. It likely wouldn't be. It would be cool to go up there for a nice meal for special occasions. Especially if you could schedule a reservation on the app or something. The original intent was to have it open all year, although I don't see that happening. 

On 9/1/2021 at 9:36 AM, Dj325 said:

I don't really know to be honest. If I were to guess, I would say probably for storage.

The IR is used quite often for special events. In addition to that it is used for employee training and meeting space. Although it is not open to the public very often, it's still very much a used space.

• Like 2