Favorite Lift Hill

You never said it had to be the FIRST lift hill. B)

maxresdefault.jpg

Honorable Mentions:

The Beast's 1st Lift Hill- Epic view of the woods, and first drop.

Steel Vengeance- For reasons IndyGuy said, plus the loud anti rollbacks sounding fearsome.

Magnum XL-200- Amazing views of Lake Erie and the waterpark. At night it seems you are going into a giant void!

Millennium Force- Great views of the other side of the lake.

Vortex (RIP)- Great views of Beast to the left, plus the park to the right, and a lotta twisty inversions below.

Underrated AF Lift Hill:

The Bat ('93) @ Kings Island- basically gives the opposite view of the park versus Beast's 2nd lift

• Like 5

I think my favorites would be Beast's 1st lift hill (the view from top of the second is nice, but that smell of grease on the first hill is always nostalgic to me!), The Bat (@ KI- I love how the lift is a leisurely trip through/above the forest) and Adventure Express's first lift (AE's first lift may be short, but it's memorable due to the way it chugs along). Honorable mentions would be Mystic Timbers, Orion and Banshee. 

Outside of KI, Tennessee Tornado (Dollywood)'s lift is unique as it closely follows the terrain up a a hill (only to turn and drop into said terrain afterwards!). Honorable mention goes to The Voyage (Holiday World)'s massive lift.

• Like 2

Ones that come to mind for me- Beast's (both), AE's 2nd, Millennium Force, Diamondback, Magnum, Wild Eagle, GateKeeper, Iron Dragon, Bat, Lightning Racer, Great Bear, SDL, Comet, Knoebel's Twister (uses 2 and both use the same chain motor), Runaway Mine Train (SFGAdv), Bizarro (SFGAdv), GASM (SFGAdv, defunct), Ravine Flyer II, Steel Force, Thunderbolt and Phantom's Revenge, Fahrenheit, almost all B&M inverts.   

5 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

You liked looking directly into the sun or are you being Mr. Satire again?

You weren’t always looking into the sun and even then if you wore sunglasses with a strap it is fine or just close your eyes.  It was a flyer so a completely different experience than every other coaster except for launched.  

• Like 3

Millennium Force gives you a great view of the lake on one side, and a view of the park on the other.

Diamondback has a nice view of the park and a nice view of the fireworks if you're really lucky.

Also, where's the love for Adventure Express' second lift? Come on. The statues are working this year. Plus the way the trains jerk back and forth on the lift adds to the entertainment.

Not sure I've paid enough attention to lift hills at other parks (or haven't ridden them enough). 

• Like 1

Favorite:  The Beast.  I am biased, but the view, the sounds, the smell of grease and feeling like a kid again each time I ride.

Alternates:

Skyrush--quick and a great view of what you are facing.

Lightning Run--loud, good view, slow start and then the speed kicks in.

Twisted Colussus--when it actually duals, it is Racer-esque.

Magnum XL-200--the view is great, it is a long ascent, and you get the classic Arrow clanks.

The Beast's second lift hill is just classic. First time I rode, about 30 years ago, it was completely unexpected. Day or night, lifting out of the woods and suddenly seeing the park come into view is still great. 

Honorable mention: 

Beast's 1st lift -- Someone mentioned the smell of grease; also the smell of the lumber. Plus I love how slow it goes, just building the dread. 

Magnum XL 200 -- I still remember it being the biggest coaster in the world, and you felt like you were climbing into the sky. Still a rush of nostalgia. 

Mystic Timbers -- I love the psychological game it plays, how the lift slows and speeds up on cue. 

• Like 1

^ This is off topic, but I love trying to guess what year pictures of the park were taken. It's pre-2017, as Mystic Timbers isn't there. I believe I can see Reds Hall of Fame logos on that building, so it's at least 2013. I *believe* I can see the Fischer Family Care Center peeking up by the International Showplace, which would mean this picture was taken in 2016 at the earliest. I'm gonna guess 2016?

15 minutes ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

^ This is off topic, but I love trying to guess what year pictures of the park were taken. It's pre-2017, as Mystic Timbers isn't there. I believe I can see Reds Hall of Fame logos on that building, so it's at least 2013. I *believe* I can see the Fischer Family Care Center peeking up by the International Showplace, which would mean this picture was taken in 2016 at the earliest. I'm gonna guess 2016?

Correct ;)  2016

• Like 2

Mine is probably Millennium Force. As others said that height makes for a long lift for anticipation without taking too long, and quiet. The views are great out over the water and park as well.

Outside of a coaster lift hill though, my favorite would be Drop Tower. That slow climb up gives amazing views, but the anticipation building is so good, always seems like it goes up higher than you expect and knowing you have to drop it, an the pause at the top just waiting for it to drop.

• Like 1