How about a bobsled?

KIjames

I've really enjoyed the bobsled coasters I've been on. It'd be cool to see one come our way. I'm not sure where specifically in the park I'd put it... Depending on the theme, I suppose I could see it in Area 72. Or maybe even Rivertown as a spiritual successor of sorts to Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal, if you turn your head and squint.

I have no idea if there's any validity to this, but in my head, Avalanche at Kings Dominion and Adventure Express were originally destined for each other's parks. Adventure Express makes more sense for Avalanche's spot thematically, and vice versa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

I have no idea if there's any validity to this, but in my head, Avalanche at Kings Dominion and Adventure Express were originally destined for each other's parks. Adventure Express makes more sense for Avalanche's spot thematically, and vice versa.

Your headcannon may be right; I've never thought of it that way... ^_^

And I think a bobsled coaster revival would be cool. Of the two I've been on (Avalanche at KD and Disaster Transport at Cedar Point), I liked the latter more as it felt like going down the hill in a bascart (in the BEST way) - especially on the drops after a turn. However, my "better" memory of it may be because I was younger when I had my one ride on Avalanche (which I'm pretty sure I enjoyed; it was definitely different than anything I had been on before), whereas with Disaster Transport, I rode it multiple times and I was older.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/sBl8Fowq0ErFC" width="480" height="360" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/reaction-sBl8Fowq0ErFC">via GIPHY</a></p>

I think we got the better coaster, as much as I like Avalanche.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

When was the last time a bobsled coaster was built?  In my opinion, they are not the most thrilling rides.  They are also not high capacity rides by any means.

Flying Turns at Knoebels opened in 2013, but I think that was more of a one-off (https://rcdb.com/3458.htm).

The last Mack bobsled (like Avalanche) opened in 2001 while the last Intamin bobsled opened in 1998 (info from RCDB).

• Like 2

Having been on Avalanche Run/Disaster Transport at CP and Avalanche at KD, I would not prefer a bobsled ride.  First, the capacity is terrible and the ride experience is so-so.  I suppose that the ride is good for a family ride but I think a dark ride would be a better addition.

• Like 3

On 9/17/2021 at 12:18 PM, Skibum said:

Having been on Avalanche Run/Disaster Transport at CP and Avalanche at KD, I would not prefer a bobsled ride.  First, the capacity is terrible and the ride experience is so-so.  I suppose that the ride is good for a family ride but I think a dark ride would be a better addition.

The weird thing is bobsled coasters have the least perceived safety to me due to their design. 

Maybe it's just because it was easy to cause crashes on Roller Coaster Tycoon :blink:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Avalanche at Kings Dominion is an excellent ride.   It’s a great coaster for those that don’t like drops and it’s still thrilling with its high banked turns.  

It’s also fast loading.    A longer version with more trains would be a good capability ride. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would say yes to bobsled, if it was with a kids area expansion or update. I would see it as a ride to add to Woodstock Express experience. The kids area needs to be added to. I think the last time a new thing was added to the kids area was before Diamondback. The kids area needs an update and I feel a bobsled would do that perfectly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 8:41 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I don't see it. Cedar Fair has already removed one (Disaster Transport) and there are small rumors (just rumors nothing confirmed) of the possibility of Avalanche getting removed from KD. Idk if the park would want to go that route, but I could be wrong. 

They are repainting and probably retheming Avalanche for 2022.    The new paint scheme is more African looking.   It’s not being removed.   

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 12:01 AM, johnjniehaus said:

Revisiting this topic which has been dead for awhile...

https://www.interlink-lg.com/used-rides/bobsleigh/

There's a used Mack Bobsled for Sale...Based on my research I think it formerly operated at a now defunct park in Japan. It actually looks pretty fun. 

I wonder what kind of maintenance is necessary for all that friction.