Winterfest 2021 Details Released

BoddaH1994

Carowinds and Kings Dominion have 2 or 3 more weekends of Winterfest opening earlier and closing Jan 2.    Ki again has less operating time despite higher attendance. 

No thanks to buffets and indoor shows with current conditions.   Mgmt is pretending there is no problem.

5 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Not much new but much more returning than some of us anticipated! This includes indoor shows, IR and Brewhous buffets, and yes… the mac bar is back!!

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/winterfest/attractions

That is actually a really solid lineup! Is there anything that Kings Island actually did cut since 2019? I did not notice anything personally. It is nice that Flight of Fear is also back! Also, the hours are slightly increased this year with the park opening at 4:00 PM on Saturdays!

Let’s hope the Christmas Collections and Trim-a-Tree shops have new merchandise this season rather than the old stale left overs from 2017 (which were put out again in 2018 and even put out again in 2019).  With the pandemic supply chain shortages of Christmas decorations this season, will just have to wait and see.

• Like 2

I know supply chain issues are hitting lots of things (I have witnessed it first hand on several of the projects that we designed at my job that are now under construction, having to switch certain materials due to 12+ month lead times), what Christmas decorations are facing shortages?

27 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

I know supply chain issues are hitting lots of things (I have witnessed it first hand on several of the projects that we designed at my job that are now under construction, having to switch certain materials due to 12+ month lead times), what Christmas decorations are facing shortages?

Those in the Halloween decoration business have faced incredible shortages.  Even with the plan below, it is easy to guess the same will happen with Christmas.

https://labusinessjournal.com/news/2021/oct/04/los-angeles-ports-backlog-holiday-retail-shipments/

The company I work for is critically low in raw materials- to the point we are rationing parts to all of our customers.  Steel mills have stopped taking orders due to their backlog being so massive.

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

If you're that concerned no one is telling you you have to do those things. There are other options there. Or just stay home. I think it should be on the person now with vaccines available.

People with vaccines are now catching it because of the unvaccinated allowing it to mutate  

Cedar Fair is now taking 0 precautions because they think they need the lowest level of humanity to turn a profit.   Cheap season passes you know. 

At least at Winterfest one can walk around, see the lights and avoid the covid breathers at the buffets and  packed indoors. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, super7 said:

People with vaccines are now catching it because of the unvaccinated allowing it to mutate  

Cedar Fair is now taking 0 precautions because they think they need the lowest level of humanity to turn a profit.   Cheap season passes you know. 

At least at Winterfest one can walk around, see the lights and avoid the covid breathers at the buffets and  packed indoors. 

As you pointed out, there’s a lot to do outdoors if you don’t feel comfortable indoors. Also, we do not know what their Covid policies will be yet. It’s possible that there would be social distancing and the like. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, super7 said:

In terms of the buffets, COVID-19 does not seem to spread surface to surface as much as it spreads through air particles. However, there is a risk with indoor dining in general and indoor theaters. With that being said, there are many restaurants and theaters open where COVID-19 is a similar threat. Kings Island is not the only business with these risks. In addition, waiting in the indoor queue for Flight of Fear or eating in the Festhaus are similar risks, and Kings Island has allowed them all season whether it is the right decision or not.

• Like 2

We know there are lots of feelings on COVID and protocols. Let's please keep that discussion on the COVID thread linked below and get back on topic of Winterfest 2021. Thanks! 

https://kicentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36114-coronavirus-impacting-theme-parks/

I am excited for Snow Works. A simple attraction, but is a lot of fun.

20171124_182730.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I'm curious about Flight of Cheer. My assumption is that it's just a holiday name for Flight of Fear...but do they do any theming to it (I know they only did it one year prior and didn't do it in 2019 because of Orion construction). Seems like it might be fun to have Christmas lights and trees in the queue and some sort of sci-fi Christmas theming, maybe lights throughout the spaghetti bowl. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdubbs727 said:

I'm curious about Flight of Cheer. My assumption is that it's just a holiday name for Flight of Fear...but do they do any theming to it (I know they only did it one year prior and didn't do it in 2019 because of Orion construction). Seems like it might be fun to have Christmas lights and trees in the queue and some sort of sci-fi Christmas theming, maybe lights throughout the spaghetti bowl. 

When I rode in 2018, there were special Flight of Cheer themed posters in the queue line (they were like 50's sci-fi style) and the Single Rider Line was open (the SRL was the exit path/Fast Lane line- that was really cool to go through!). I also think they had special green lights in the launch tunnel, but that may have also been in there all season long (I don't remember).

• Like 1

Fast Lane is a thing during Winterfest? Just double-checking. I thought that was a "no" in prior years, but they made sure to put the logo on the rides that apply.

Edit: Guessing probably not. False advertising. Pretty sure the Fast Lane Season Pass specifically stated "not valid for Winterfest". 

1 hour ago, bjcolglazier said:

Fast Lane is a thing during Winterfest? Just double-checking. I thought that was a "no" in prior years, but they made sure to put the logo on the rides that apply.

Edit: Guessing probably not. False advertising. Pretty sure the Fast Lane Season Pass specifically stated "not valid for Winterfest". 

The FL lines were used for single riders. 

According to the Winterfest map, it doesn’t look like Tom and Chee will be returning to Kings Island for the event. The usual stand by Diamondback seems to be the new home of Reindeer Roundup this year instead of the hot chocolate stand, and the hot chocolate stand seems to be combined with the Planet Snoopy Grill this year (now it is called the Ghost of Restuarant Past).

However, if you look under Other Dining Locations for Winterfest on the website, it shows an option for Tom and Chee, but the restaurant has no designated location on the map.

https://cdn-cloudfront.cfauthx.com/binaries/content/assets/ki-en-us/general-information/explore/directions/ki22-026-winterfest-digital-park-map-and-guide.pdf

43 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

According to the Winterfest map, it doesn’t look like Tom and Chee will be returning to Kings Island for the event. The usual stand by Diamondback seems to be the new home of Reindeer Roundup this year instead of the hot chocolate stand, and the hot chocolate stand seems to be combined with the Planet Snoopy Grill this year (now it is called the Ghost of Restuarant Past).

However, if you look under Other Dining Locations for Winterfest on the website, it shows an option for Tom and Chee, but the restaurant has no designated location on the map.

https://cdn-cloudfront.cfauthx.com/binaries/content/assets/ki-en-us/general-information/explore/directions/ki22-026-winterfest-digital-park-map-and-guide.pdf

They moved T+C last WF, but I can’t remember where. 

At Carowinds, there are only 3 performances of Cool Yule, Drimmers and the Christmas Spectacular.   Holly Jolly Trolly also ends early.   The last one of them is at 8.   To put the performers that dance in the parade at 9.     All of the character appearances (Jack Frost, Elves, Sugarplum Fairy etc also go into the parade. 

The vocalist shows like Jingle Jazz, Nativty, Mistletones etc. still run after 9 pm.  

It’s a choreographed parade with stops like Carnivale but no original music   

I think it would be very hard to see all the shows in one night with the reduced schedule. 

The lighting at Carowinds is amazing even though it is mostly white.  They have fully lit a large amount  of their huge mature trees. It’s super immersive 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...