Could KI be hinting at a possible Reversing of one side of Racer?

New Horizons

https://www.kingsislandgear.com/collections/new-apparel/products/racer-tee

Here is the link to the shirts and in the Facebook post KI mentions

"Whoops! Our printer got this one "Backwards!"

This version of the soft style Gildan tee will be available for a limited time only.  Free Shipping offer applies to this item only. "

This seems like oddly specific use of word backwards and the fact its being sold as official merch makes me believe this is a subtle tease for a backwards racer side once again. I mean the GP absolutely loved when it went backwards and i still hear people talking about how much they miss it. Including enthusiasts.

So what do you guys think about it?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I believe they have stated many times Racer will never run backwards again as it never was designed to go backwards and PTC's instructions were to run it forwards only. 

This is exactly why I feel like it’s not going to go backwards!

That being said though they have been giving a lot of love to racer recently with the retracking and the parks 50th is coming and this would be an easy crowd pleaser… my heart says Yes but my brain says no .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I doubt they have ever officially said "it will never run backwards again".  Perhaps something to the effect that there are no plans to run it backwards again, but it wouldn't be good PR to paint yourself into such a corner with the words "never" on such a subject.

It may not have been designed to run backwards and PTC instructions may instruct them to only run it forward (though I've always felt this was a dubious claim, instructions were likely how to mount it with no mention or thought to ever reversing the seats on the train.

The ride had a rather lengthy history of running one side backwards with few to no incidents that I'm aware of.  I doubt it would be that hard to have an engineer or design professional form an approval letter for running it backwards again if that is all it takes.

Its always been my belief that PR's claim that they turned the far side around was primarily because that is the way it was intended and originally ran to bull.  I believe the main reason they turned it around was so that both ride experiences were essentially the same and on slow days or at park opening, they could keep one side running, and the other side down and not take anything away from their guests.  I don't recall if ridership (at least when I was there) was significantly less on the backwards side or not, but that could potentially play a role as well if the general public just didn't like the backwards experience near as much.  Personally, I always loved the backwards experience and it always gave me a reason to ride it twice on each visit.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I believe they have stated many times Racer will never run backwards again as it never was designed to go backwards and PTC's instructions were to run it forwards only. 

True with PTC trains, but what if they replaced the trains with ones that a manufacturer says could go backwards....

Remember once upon a time they said Winterfest would never come back either...

Never is a long time and personnel and ownership and technology change...

• Like 4

What I found interesting in the teaser was the 2018 master plan blue prints.  Why would they include that?  Are they gearing up to release plans for the parks next largest investment ever?  Trolling? Or just something they had lying around and used it to cover a blemish on the desk?

If batman clones can run backwards no reason a woodie can't.  Its more about Cedar Fair and their insurance company like the seatbelts on all their b&m hypers.

I’m cool with seatbelts but I wish that they were used as a way to keep the restraint down rather than keeping our bodies down. Like I love how for example on Banshee the seatbelt is a fail safe method to keep the restraint down and it really doesn’t affect the rider at all. As opposed to diamond back in Orion where you have to physically have a seatbelt buckled and assuming a restraint opened you would be relying on the seatbelt to hold you in . Idk if this makes any sense at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been said PTC allowed one side to operate backwards in 1982.  When CF came into the picture and asked the PTC of their recommendation, it was obviously different than 1982.

CF being self-insured likely has some impact on the decision to ask the question to PTC.  PTC's recommendation likely changed due to the litigious world we live in today.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

It has been said PTC allowed one side to operate backwards in 1982.  When CF came into the picture and asked the PTC of their recommendation, it was obviously different than 1982.

CF being self-insured likely has some impact on the decision to ask the question to PTC.  PTC's recommendation likely changed due to the litigious world we live in today.

As I understand, the swap back to racing forward had nothing to do with PTC.  It was strictly a Managerial decision.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, standbyme said:

I have never understood the mystic of riding it backwards...for me, after a couple of times it was "been there done that"...I preferred looking down the hills. 

I get it, but it was still semi-popular especially for non-passholders. None of my kids have ridden it backwards, but I have. Maybe they need to offer it periodically. I bet it would bring a lot of riders when they do.

I do think it would be very popular if they brought it back. In the last 10 years and before 2017, what was the most asked question about Kings Island?

When is Winterfest coming back?

and

Why are they no longer running one side of Racer backwards? Because I miss it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I thought the story of recaR was settled in the book:  Kings Island: A Ride Through Time by @KIghostguy.

If you asked 10 different people why it was changed on 10 different occasions then you’ll get different answers each time. I feel like the reasoning given in the book is just another narrative. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, New Horizons said:

https://www.kingsislandgear.com/collections/new-apparel/products/racer-tee

Here is the link to the shirts and in the Facebook post KI mentions

"Whoops! Our printer got this one "Backwards!"

This version of the soft style Gildan tee will be available for a limited time only.  Free Shipping offer applies to this item only. "

This seems like oddly specific use of word backwards and the fact its being sold as official merch makes me believe this is a subtle tease for a backwards racer side once again. I mean the GP absolutely loved when it went backwards and i still hear people talking about how much they miss it. Including enthusiasts.

So what do you guys think about it?

No way it goes backwards again. I guess since all the old rides are "official merch" too they are coming back? Not trying to be rude, trust me i would love it to come back. But i dont think it will sadly. :( 

• Like 1

And what would be the best way to completely put this to rest?  Being able to ask a question and getting a real, transparent answer, provided it doesn't disclose ACTUAL IMPORTANT proprietary information instead of "No decision has been made at this time" for instance.... I'm sure everyone remembers that one.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, robintodd said:

I've always thought a great idea would be to set one side of The Racer backward during Haunt only.  It would add to the unique experience during the haunt season.

I'm not entirely sure if this is feasible in terms of time. Not only do the trains have to be turned around, but their brake fins also need to be realigned. Then there's the matter of does the State have to come out and perform the same amount of tests/cycles/inspections etc. to certify the ride. 

Magic Mountain, for example, did this on (old) Colossus by having separate trains that could be swapped out for backwards operation (the old B&M Psyclone trains). 

Most likely could be done the week or two prior (just run 1 train on each track for 1 weekend, usually a park sellout with light attendance) and store the modded trains in the old pull offs (There's room for 2 in each one).  I would think 5 days would be enough of a turn around.  Inspections with the state wouldn't be that hard if pre-arranged.  Think about how when a ride goes down in the middle of the season how quickly they can get an inspection to get it back open.  

Not likely, but I still think it would be a great tie-in with Haunt and a way to appease those who enjoy the backwards experience and to allow current generations to enjoy it.