Park accused of ‘fat-shaming’ guests with ‘humiliating’ self-weighing stations

https://nypost.com/2021/09/29/park-accused-of-fat-shaming-guests-with-self-weighing-stations/

The theme park had reportedly started posting weight limits for their rides, which they enforced by equipping attractions with “self-serve” weighing stations that flash green or red depending on if the rider meets their standards,

the West Australian reported.

One visitor said her 13-year-old daughter was left “humiliated” after stepping on the scale at the Rocky Rapid waterslide and discovering she exceeded the limit.

Park issues apology and refund:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/local-news/perthnow-central/adventure-world-ceo-andrew-sharry-issues-apology-to-customers-over-fat-shaming-pre-ride-weighing-scales-ng-b882023737z

30 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I wonder why they are just now installing them instead of when they installed the slides? The after the fact install might be the shock more than the scales themselves.

That's what I can't figure out.

Perhaps there has been too much structural "wear & tear" on the slides themselves?  Was the original design intended for average of x-lbs. and the overall population is over that now?  Does the increased weight allow for too much momentum and a rider could go over the side of the slide?

It should also be noted that this isn't necessarily for "fat people" but those who weigh above a certain weight.  On the signs no one is permitted to ride above 180kgs., which is 396 lbs. the other sign is obviously half that. 

90 kg is a shade under 200 lbs.  That seems like a pretty low max weight capacity for a ride.

I do have an issue with the paper calling it "fat shaming". 200 lbs is pretty big for a 13 year old girl (my 13 year old son is roughly 5-10 and certainly not skinny, weighs roughly 160-165 lbs) but non the less; its about safety and ride manufacturer recommendations. 

I'm sure the parents and paper would have been fine had the park allowed 200 lb visitors to ride and one of them fell off the slide and got seriously injured (or worse).

just watched a POV of the ride in question https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_BX3IJdy3o

frankly, I have no clue why that ride even has a weight limit, or at least a weight limit of 200 lbs.  Doesn't seem like someone would be in any sort of risk riding that if they weighed 300 lbs.

Tunnel of Terror

is a 2 person slide, though possibly (and likely) they allow singles to ride.

Water slides do that in the US. Great Wolf’s water coaster has a scale, as do most at Holiday World. Not sure about KI, but I imagine they do. They’re subtle and for the entire group. “Your group weighs too much” is a lot better than “YOU weigh too much.”  Perhaps things could have been handled better, but if there’s a weight limit for rides then there’s only one way to make sure it’s not exceeded. 

• Like 1

As someone that has topped 300lbs in the past let me tell you all about the problems that causes.

Tube slides I had to stop doing for a time as half my rides I flipped over and ended up on my stomach or back.  It is the momentum and hydroplaning with increased speed, plus I didn’t fit down in the tube as well so the center of gravity is higher. Maybe someone 375 or more could complete the barrel roll on a tube slide but I couldn’t and would just crash down.  Gets a little Acton Parky.  If you do flip make sure to flip over to your back, I banged myself up a bit entering a splash pool on my stomach once.  There was one slide at Zoombezie Bay if I managed to stay on the tube I would plane across the splash down pool and get beached on the concrete. Fun and the kids loved watching it but probably not the safest thing.  

Mat racers. A bit of airtime is fine but I would get so much I was landing more on the horizontal section.  Absolutely brutal on the chest and knees to do that 2 or 3 times on my way down.

How is this any different than the test seats with green and red lights?
And one can know your weight before they leave the house, unlike knowing if you will fit in a test seat or not?
I guess we should get rid of the guess your weight game as well...

don’t go hyperbole…..

But my guess is the test seats are not just for weight. It’s body size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Weight restrictions on water slides are normal and is the typical way parks handle safety.  Even the biggest companies can get the design wrong and force tighter restrictions then originally planned.  The original design for Punga Racers at Universal Orlando’s Volcano Bay had a 150 lb restriction at one point due to injuries.  Since then the slides were rebuilt with a new manufacturer which allowed the park to raise the weight restriction to 300 lbs.

Unfortunately since weight determines who can ride safely if a park wants or even needs to enforce these restrictions, riders are stuck with scales.

• Like 2

Weight restrictions on water slides are normal and is the typical way parks handle safety.  Even the biggest companies can get the design wrong and force tighter restrictions then originally planned.  The original design for Punga Racers at Universal Orlando’s Volcano Bay had a 150 lb restriction at one point due to injuries.  Since then the slides were rebuilt with a new manufacturer which allowed the park to raise the weight restriction to 300 lbs.
Unfortunately since weight determines who can ride safely if a park wants or even needs to enforce these restrictions, riders are stuck with scales.

I don’t disagree but they should be at the bottom of the slide and maybe not have big green and red lights letting everyone else know that you are too big….. safety is safety. But my guess would be the letting everyone else know is the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk