Yes, Drop Tower is getting painted

BoddaH1994

If the amusement rides are being repainted with an epoxy coating system, the primer will appear to be an off-white color. Epoxies typically 'chalk' prematurely due to UV light breakdown of their binders, given them a faded or pastel look. Binders hold the paint and pigment together. This might account for why the fading of paint on certain rides simply makes them look older.

On 10/28/2021 at 12:31 PM, KIghostguy said:

I'm curious about that as well. I don't think it would be the same paint scheme as the Great America tower. I think that one is supposed to resemble a California Redwood tree, which wouldn't really make sense in Ohio.

I hope they at least get rid of the checkered pattern on ours, given that it's no longer a recurring theme throughout Action Zone.

I agree, get rid of the checkered pattern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I believe Six Flags has that name trademarked with Lex Luthor Drop of Doom at SFMM

...which is the scariest Drop Tower I've ridden to date.  Between the height, the shaking of the tower as Superman cars are launched, and the "free-feeling" restraint (which are essentially just a lap restraint...) it unnerved me like no other.

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

...which is the scariest Drop Tower I've ridden to date.  Between the height, the shaking of the tower as Superman cars are launched, and the "free-feeling" restraint (which are essentially just a lap restraint...) it unnerved me like no other.

I can't disagree, but the suspense at the top of DT is more unnerving to me.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 4:01 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

I can't disagree, but the suspense at the top of DT is more unnerving to me.

Of the three Drop Towers I've been on, the slow final settling on DT with the motors running loudly right above you, then the sudden clunk and silence while you try to remember how many seconds the delay is, that's easily the most unnerving.

Then-SFKK's Hellevator I found to be someone uninteresting, but the (ARM Rides I think) mobile one I've ridden a couple times at the state fair is interesting because for a "short" tower, there is just simply NO delay, once it clears the top of the chains that lift it, it just disengages and falls, with a very short and abrupt brake. That was especially startling the first time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

EDIT: also does anyone know what the grey thing is on the left behind the trees? I don't think I've seen that before. Also, why don't I see congo falls? Could trees be blocking in the way or is it more out of the picture?

My memory may be playing tricks on me but for some reason I keep thinking there was/is a billboard in some odd corner off the path around the KI Theater area, advertising season passes or something. 

5 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

welp, looks like we are stuck with the checkerboards.

EDIT: also does anyone know what the grey thing is on the left behind the trees? I don't think I've seen that before. Also, why don't I see congo falls? Could trees be blocking in the way or is it more out of the picture?

But I like the checkerboards.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

But I like the checkerboards.

They're okay, but I just feel that the checkerboards don't fit now as it isn't Paramount anymore. Delirium had its checkerboard removed in 2014 when Banshee opened. Don't want to be negative, but I just feel this is a big missed opportunity to not remove them. 

17 hours ago, Joshua said:

My memory may be playing tricks on me but for some reason I keep thinking there was/is a billboard in some odd corner off the path around the KI Theater area, advertising season passes or something. 

You must be thinking of the advertisement that goes ON the KI theater building that faces the entry plaza. That's not what this is as the KI Theater is on the other side of Invertigo. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

They're okay, but I just feel that the checkerboards don't fit now as it isn't Paramount anymore. Delirium had its checkerboard removed in 2014 when Banshee opened. Don't want to be negative, but I just feel this is a big missed opportunity to not remove them. 

And yet I think the checkerboard paint job for Delirium looked way better than it does now.  It literally looks like a faded pencil including the eraser on the top.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

You must be thinking of the advertisement that goes ON the KI theater building that faces the entry plaza. That's not what this is as the KI Theater is on the other side of Invertigo. 

It's a utility box in the parking lot median, telephoto effect is making it look like it's in the park. There's another one closer to the camera.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I agree, they have a chance to continue reforming/reshaping that area.  With the "darker" themed Banshee and Bat names, they could have repainted Drop Tower something 'darker" and perhaps renamed it something to fit in more with a mid-evil theme.  Heck, even the Drop Tower name could have been used, just add some castle theming to the que area.

21 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

The photo was apparently taken from the drop-off lot at the base of the KI monument sign.  The gray box is the electrical box for the sign/lighting over there and the green box next to it an electrical transformer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1