Woman suffered a stroke after riding Adventure Express

Orion13

43 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Sounds like she is looking for attention tbh. First of all, why is she suing now if this happened 2 years ago? A big question I have about this is did she have a prohibited condition and decided to ignore the warning signs? Also, lol at the news station calling it a woodie when it is a hybrid. 

The actual legal document states a "wooden coaster" when referencing Adventure Express, FOX19 is simply reporting what's stated in the document :) . 

https://rcdb.com/70.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Sounds like she is looking for attention tbh. First of all, why is she suing now if this happened 2 years ago? A big question I have about this is did she have a prohibited condition and decided to ignore the warning signs? Also, lol at the news station calling it a woodie when it is a hybrid. 

It is common practice in lawsuits to file just as the statute of limitations are getting ready to expire as it allows the plaintiff to prepare a case (medical bills are higher two years later than 1 month after the accident for example) and makes it more difficult for defendants to try to toss it out. 

The filing seems to allege that the normal operation of the ride caused the injury. Kings Island rates Adventure Express a 5 on its 1-5 ride rating scale, and signage at each ride warns of the inherent risks in riding aggressive thrill attractions, especially for those with preexisting conditions.

It's tragic that this guest suffered a stroke, but the claim that the park didn't warn of the inherent aggressiveness of the ride doesn't make much sense to a layperson familiar with the park.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

It is common practice in lawsuits to file just as the statute of limitations are getting ready to expire as it allows the plaintiff to prepare a case (medical bills are higher two years later than 1 month after the accident for example) and makes it more difficult for defendants to try to toss it out. 

Generally the process is started long before the suit actually gets filed too. And as stated treatment has to progress before the suit. Not even for the higher bills but harder to know any long term effects or not until there has been ongoing treatment. Usually you are really supposed to finish treatment or have a strong idea of how long/what long term effects there will be before a suit is filed. That's why these are often filed a long time after the incident itself.

2 hours ago, malem said:

The filing seems to allege that the normal operation of the ride caused the injury. Kings Island rates Adventure Express a 5 on its 1-5 ride rating scale, and signage at each ride warns of the inherent risks in riding aggressive thrill attractions, especially for those with preexisting conditions.

It's tragic that this guest suffered a stroke, but the claim that the park didn't warn of the inherent aggressiveness of the ride doesn't make much sense to a layperson familiar with the park.

The Fun & Safety Guide makes all of these warnings. If she chose not to read it, it's on her. Her lawyer will try to prove it isn't enough. Ultimately Cedar Fair may pay her to go away.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

The Fun & Safety Guide makes all of these warnings. If she chose not to read it, it's on her. Her lawyer will try to prove it isn't enough. Ultimately Cedar Fair may pay her to go away.

Honestly, that is probably what they are hoping. The ride is listed at the top of their extremeness scale with warnings and (effects aside) the coaster itself seems to be taken well care of. Any issues the park could encounter would likely result from any failures to document their inspections of the ride. This individual is probably just hoping for a settlement to make it go away.

I find the wording of her injuries to be specific: she suffered "debilitating injuries" that RESULTED in a stroke. That wording reminds me of the wording used to describe the 2009 Son of Beast brain injury that resulted in it being shut down.

Unlike Son of Beast, Adventure Express (to my knowledge) does not have a high profile history of injuring its riders. I'm certainly no expert and have no connections to decision makers at Cedar Fair or Kings Island, but I'd be surprised if this results in anything happening to Adventure Express. The only exception is if something comes to light about a specific aspect of the ride or its operation that caused the guest's injury. And honestly, if that were the case, I feel like it would have already done so... unless this actually comes to court.

I understand walking through those gates, and walking past those signs in the queue, that I'm taking the risks. That applies for every time I get in a car, fly on a plane, etc. Unless I see blatant negligence on the park, I would never blame the ride experience for my injury after the fact, even if it seemed correlated. I guess that is just me.

Let's say I had a near miss of an accident in my car. The safety features caused me to avoid that accident, but helped induce an asthma attack or heart attack. The car performed as expected Heard the owner's manual and warnings in the manual. Should I blame the car company or the dealership I bought the car for the illness? 

• Like 1