Kings Island Unveils special 50th Anniversary Celebration Logo

The logo will appear on special merchandise. The park confirms seven rides will be painted for next season:

• Eiffel Tower
  • The Racer
  • Race For Your Life Charlie Brown
  • Adventure Express
  • Backlot Stunt Coaster
  • Drop Tower
  • Flying Ace Aerial Chase

See more details here: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2021/november/kings-island-unveils-special-50th-anniversary-celebration-logo?fbclid=IwAR25KippohAWOwKX4h5Ruy7aZxyJeVXJ0mAIWtM-YwUKcXyupgBbHh8MMOw

banner-ki50-1.jpg

I am pretty sure that the exterior of the trough for Race for Your life was painted back when Mystic opened.  I wonder if they are going to freshen that up, or paint the inside of the trough?  Freshen up the exterior of the trough? 

I also wonder if we will see the red and blue hand rails return to The Racer.

Kind of would have liked to see the original logo featured on the 50th celebration logo.  Still excited to see the 50th anniversary logo.  Can`t wait to see what else KI has in store for next season.

• Like 7

I'm going to be honest--I really don't like it. That the vintage logo wasn't included is a HUGE turnoff for me. If only there was a logo that actually combined the past and present of Kings Island. Oh wait...

image.png

Not sure why they didn't go that route if they were so dead-set on using the current logo. Just incorporate the flag into the vintage logo, it perfectly blends old and new.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I really like the logo and it's very exciting they are painting all those rides at once. The sparkle tower is pretty nice. I wonder if they'll make the tower sparkle at night maybe during the Royal Finale next year? I think in 2010/2011 during the Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular days, they made the tower sparkle for a bit. I actually sorta remember the tower have sparkly lights during those days. Also, for the log flume I honestly think they should try and readd it to Rivertown again as it fits better there than in Snoopy. it would also pay homage to when it first opened at KI. Now, for the nightime show, I really REALLY hope that they have some sort of massive show on the Bandstand each night that resembles Cedar Point's Celebrate 150 show, but KI's version. I'll link a video to it, I really like what they did there and I love how they had a jumbotron on the stage that did crowd shots/performer shots on the stage. I seriously think KI should add those types of screens to the current bandstand which would honestly make the nighttime shows even better. I think the LED ribbon boards added in 2020 were a good start.

28 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

I'm going to be honest--I really don't like it. That the vintage logo wasn't included is a HUGE turnoff for me. If only there was a logo that actually combined the past and present of Kings Island. Oh wait...

Cedar Point also used the Cedar Fair corporate typeface for their anniversary logo, but they did a good job celebrating the past and present of Cedar Point. I'm glad the distinctive Kings Island typeface still gets used on some merchandise and promotions.

I'm very happy that the park will be looking its best next season; painting seven rides is no small undertaking. I'd personally love to see extra merchandise celebrating vintage rides and logos to celebrate 50 years.

• Like 3

Definitely can't wait to celebrate Kings Island's 50th Anniversary.....This is going to get more exciting.....This is only the beginning..  Time flies....but only one big question:  Where did time go?  We will all soon going to see a lot of Kings Island 50th Anniversary stuff in the coming months....More surprises for the passholders (this includes me) are in store for 2022 so let's see what is coming on the way for the passholders.

11 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

image.png

Not sure why they didn't go that route if they were so dead-set on using the current logo. Just incorporate the flag into the vintage logo, it perfectly blends old and new.

Yeah, I’ll echo these sentiments about the 50th logo. That is some Microsoft Paint level design work. I’m not trying to be rude, but… yeah. From a professional stand point it might’ve been a good idea to throw a few more bills if this is going to be prominently featured. 

Glad to hear about The Racer, though. This would be the time for that OG paint scheme!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, beastfan11 said:

Yeah, I’ll echo these sentiments about the 50th logo. That is some Microsoft Paint level design work. I’m not trying to be rude, but… yeah. From a professional stand point it might’ve been a good idea to throw a few more bills if this is going to be prominently featured. 

Glad to hear about The Racer, though. This would be the time for that OG paint scheme!

I don’t know if I agree with the logo thing. I feel like I associate the current logo with KI and the classic logo with the historical KI that was before my time. Don’t anyone else feel that way?

Also, Cedar Point had about 20 variations of their 150th, so I won’t doubt if we saw a version with the vintage logo.

15 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I really like the logo and it's very exciting they are painting all those rides at once. The sparkle tower is pretty nice. I wonder if they'll make the tower sparkle at night maybe during the Royal Finale next year? I think in 2010/2011 during the Snoopy's Starlight Spectacular days, they made the tower sparkle for a bit. I actually sorta remember the tower have sparkly lights during those days. Also, for the log flume I honestly think they should try and readd it to Rivertown again as it fits better there than in Snoopy. it would also pay homage to when it first opened at KI. Now, for the nightime show, I really REALLY hope that they have some sort of massive show on the Bandstand each night that resembles Cedar Point's Celebrate 150 show, but KI's version. I'll link a video to it, I really like what they did there and I love how they had a jumbotron on the stage that did crowd shots/performer shots on the stage. I seriously think KI should add those types of screens to the current bandstand which would honestly make the nighttime shows even better. I think the LED ribbon boards added in 2020 were a good start.

The CP 150th celebration was the single greatest bit of entertainment that I’ve seen out of this chain. I can’t herp but wish we get something like that. I’m not holding my breath because it seems like KI gets about 60% of what Cedar Point does, but I’d love to be wrong.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

The CP 150th celebration was the single greatest bit of entertainment that I’ve seen out of this chain. I can’t herp but wish we get something like that. I’m not holding my breath because it seems like KI gets about 60% of what Cedar Point does, but I’d love to be wrong.

While I'm not expecting it to be 100% the same as Cedar Point's, I'm really hoping it is similar. In fact, the live band they had in their show reminded me alot of the River City Band that performs in the bandstand shows at KI every year. I think a show similar to Cedar Point's with River City would be so good! 

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I don’t know if I agree with the logo thing. I feel like I associate the current logo with KI and the classic logo with the historical KI that was before my time. Don’t anyone else feel that way?

I just think the vintage logo looks better. The current logo is bland, corporate, homogenous, and charmless. There is nothing about it that is distinctively Kings Island.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Hmmmm. I kind of like it. Different approach from Cedar Point’s (a park scape). I like how the Eiffel Tower is the center of it 

Makes sense as I don't feel like Cedar Point really has a single park icon like the Eiffel Tower is to Kings Island. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

I just think the vintage logo looks better. The current logo is bland, corporate, homogenous, and charmless. There is nothing about it that is distinctively Kings Island.

Yep. It’s been bugging me all day, but I think I figured out what’s bugging me. It’s similar to the Disney World 50th logo. The colors are close, the main park icon is featured as the focal point along with the “50.” The name of the park(s) is featured along the bottom. So, it’s more or less a quicker, cheaper version of that but with less focus on the depth and quality of the design elements. 

I’m not a designer, but I work directly with many professionally. I don’t think this would fly in many agencies. That said, the actual Cedar Fair/Kings Island typeface/font might be in the dictionary next to bland. Letting each park have their own identity to a degree wouldn’t hurt. I don’t think a brand refresh wouldn’t be the worst idea. 

31DA238D-CCE2-44C0-B407-050E38E19652.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow some of you are so hateful to those who spent all that time designing this. While I do agree the logo could've been a little better, I think they did an excellent job with it. They worked really hard on this logo and I think we should settle down and appreciate it. This is giving me flashbacks to the Orion announcement and to when the blueprints got leaked. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

To be honest, I truly don’t mind the logo except it would be more fitting if they used the original logo. For the 50th, i’m really hoping for some old rides to be brought back and for a Cedar Park level celebration. I feel like KI deserves a nice celebration… I’m really excited because of all the refurbishment (for lack of better words) some areas of the park have received! I’m honestly pretty curious on what colors some of the rides will be painted and I am PRAYING that Drop Tower gets a different color scheme. The checkerboard just looks so outdated…

I think it looks nice. As much as I think the Taft/KECO logo would've been cool to use, or even the 1971 concept logo, the official logo is pretty nice and reminds me of Cedar Point's 150th. 

Personally, I'm more excited about The Racer finally getting an overdue repaint. I'm hoping for a return of the red track and blue catwalk railings. Lately Cedar Fair and the park have been doing a stellar job with restoring a lot of what made pre-Paramount era Kings Island great. A lot of cool things to look forward to!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Wow some of you are so hateful to those who spent all that time designing this. While I do agree the logo could've been a little better, I think they did an excellent job with it. They worked really hard on this logo and I think we should settle down and appreciate it. This is giving me flashbacks to the Orion announcement and to when the blueprints got leaked. 

Keep in mind, just because someone has an opinion on how to make it better or different does not mean they don't appreciate what the park created. I am personally enjoying reading about others ideas of what they would have came up with and why.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

All I’m saying is I’d be willing to forget this awful logo exists if the park used their original logo instead.

Aside from incorporating the classic font, how would you improve the 50th celebration logo?

Personally, I like the simple design with the tower and "50", but the gradient background in the numbers and the starry/snowflake background in the tower seem too busy to me. It's possible that this is just a rendering issue that will be fixed in a final version, especially in contexts where detail doesn't print well.

Usually, when a logo is commissioned, there are several different versions optimized for print, web, limited color palettes, large/small renderings, etc. In any case, we're not going to see the .jpeg file from the KI Blog printed on a t-shirt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Keep in mind, just because someone has an opinion on how to make it better or different does not mean they don't appreciate what the park created. I am personally enjoying reading about others ideas of what they would have came up with and why.

That's my thoughts as well. Sorry if I came off a little aggressive, but I was just saying the park worked really hard on this logo and someone calls it cheap and bland that is a little disrespectful, but it's their opinion and I respect it. 

10 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

That's my thoughts as well. Sorry if I came off a little aggressive, but I was just saying the park worked really hard on this logo and someone calls it cheap and bland that is a little disrespectful, but it's their opinion and I respect it. 

We don’t know how long or hard this took to create. I love the park, but don’t view everything through rose colored glasses. In this case, it seems like the design is “borrowed” and the Cedar Fair brand identity was incorporated for Kings Island. I don’t think it’s disrespectful to point that out. These could be directives that come from higher ups in the company for all we know. 

Moving on…

12 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

This could be a fun contest like the slogan thing a little while back. 

I think it’d be cool to incorporate the vintage logo like many others have suggested. Simplifying the design elements could really help it pop. Instead of using the whole tower, why not use a silhouetted, solid color image of the top 1/4 of the tower. The “50” could be incorporated in the observation deck area and use the same text style as the vintage Taft logo. The background could be similar to @KIghostguy’s awesome book, but with different, complimentary colored angled stripes to give it a celebratory feel.  

6 hours ago, beastfan11 said:

We don’t know how long or hard this took to create. I love the park, but don’t view everything through rose colored glasses. In this case, it seems like the design is “borrowed” and the Cedar Fair brand identity was incorporated for Kings Island. I don’t think it’s disrespectful to point that out. These could be directives that come from higher ups in the company for all we know. 

Moving on…

This could be a fun contest like the slogan thing a little while back. 

I think it’d be cool to incorporate the vintage logo like many others have suggested. Simplifying the design elements could really help it pop. Instead of using the whole tower, why not use a silhouetted, solid color image of the top 1/4 of the tower. The “50” could be incorporated in the observation deck area and use the same text style as the vintage Taft logo. The background could be similar to @KIghostguy’s awesome book, but with different, complimentary colored angled stripes to give it a celebratory feel.  

I'm sure many users here could have made a great logo as well, would have been fun to see the park put out a contest for it.

• Like 3