Winterfest 2021 Reviews and Updates

IndyGuy4KI

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

So far both the tree lighting and Tinker’s are the 2018 shows, not the 2019 re-ups.

Likely the reason for the Tinker not being “fever” related being pretty self-evident. 

24 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

I thought “fever” was a bit odd anyway. 

While I remember enjoying the 2019 version of Tinkers, I much preferred the 2018 (and apparently current) version of Tinkers. It is much more heartwarming (imo) and I think I cried during one showing...

One thing I noticed, which was not directly Winterfest related, was that the band organ front on the Carousel had been removed.  Hopefully it is getting a refurbishment for the 50th.  In its place they had some panels that had graphics on them to emulate the surrounding panels.  The middle graphic said “Grand Carousel. Eat. 1923”.  Opps!  Somebody didn’t double check that graphic!  It should say 1926.

I liked the trees in Planet Snoopy.  They did away with the dimly lit “giant light bulbs” hanging in the trees they used to have and had the canopies of the trees done in lots of different colored lights.  I also like the white and blue in the trees on the back side of the Festhaus by Delirium and the Kings Island Theater!

• Like 3

Went last night and continue to be impressed with the staff and how KI continually is upgrading the event every year with new and different lights.  The tunnel for 12 days of Christmas looks amazing. The whole park was beautiful as I've come to expect at the event.

Also Juke Box has a 12 days of Christmas burger which has quac on it along with other things (I forget what).  Also the Chicken Shack has Honey Mint Garlic wing sauce.  Haven't tried either yet but cheers to the culinary team for new items.  The mac and cheese bowl seem to have done away with tots in favor of sidewinder fries.  I would think tots are much more suited to having the toppings on them leaving it "fork friendly".  Almost seems like the sidewinders would necessitate a knife and fork.  Will try next visit and see.

Finally the Parade was amazing.  Large crowds on each side of the street.  Plenty of people in the parade with all the wonderful costumes, props and performances and the floats were beautiful.  The only thing I would suggest is a "hand out" of small (individually wrapped, of course) candy canes as the parade goes by.  Maybe I missed it, maybe it's something they will do later but it just felt like it was something to bring a bit more to the experience.  I understand not tossing things out, as it is dark for the event but just to have a little interaction between performers and little ones would be nice.  Also some type of dance during the stops is missed.  The sing-along is a nice idea but doing it along with pulling kids in and having them dance would be great.  Carnivale has definitely affected my opinion as if I had never seen it, I wouldn't have the suggestions I do for the Winterfest parade. It just seemed like not many were singing along.  Not sure if that was because of being embarrassed or because of the current C-19 situation.  I'm interested to see how things evolve with this during the season.

All in all another wonderful experience for Winterfest yet again and I'm looking forward to many visits this season.  Congratulations and thanks to all the staff and employees for a wonderful event that elevates the holiday experience!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

^You must have been standing in a bad place because the circular candy cane "mints" or whatever they are called were being tossed out.

And kids were pulled into the "restricted white line area" for dancing and sing alongs during the stops.

Good to hear.  Thanks for letting me know. 

The ending of the parade at the 4th final show stop is ROUGH. I know it’s basically the same as CARNIVALE but that didn’t have as many float based characters. The show stop ends and all the sudden elves, princes, princesses and more just start jumping off floats and cast running by to hurry to their next post. It’s just sloppy. Then unpopulated floats just drive by. It kills the mood the parade just built, and it’s a bit of an operational nightmare while the parade just sits there blocking the oath. I’d sacrifice the final show stop to have them leave by the gate by the men’s restroom at the end of I street to have a cleaner end and then drive the floats back to the storage tent after close or something. Or cut the second show stop to be able to get the floats with cast back to storage sooner so the cast could go back to their spots. Not sure why the walking cast could go with the floats up to the tower and peel off from there. Whatever. It just ends a GREAT addition on a sloppy note. 

1 hour ago, PKIVortex said:

Not sure if your joking but Ruby Tuesdays has been closed for several years.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Or has it?

It had a construction fence around it about two years ago. I was sure they’d tear it down. Drove by maybe a year later and the fence was gone and the lights were clearly on inside. Now the fence is back, but the place often looks lit up still. 

No idea what’s going on there. Last time I went when it was a Ruby Tuesday’s the service was awful. 

Which Ruby Tuesday's are you referring to? I thought there were more in the area (I know there used to be one in West Chester and two in Kenwood at one time- one was in the mall the other moved across the street), but the closest one I found (According to the website) was in Sharonville. I think I saw there was one according to a highway exit sign I saw a few days ago while driving to/from Indiana for Thanksgiving. Not exactly sure where it was, though.

Loved that the “presents” on the ice rink became giant ice cubes. Brought the whole theme together. That was a nice change. 

Liked how the blue/white wrapped trees framed the path to Ice zone. Not sure why they don’t move ALL of the icy elements to that area and do something different along the path to Coney from Rivertown

Planet Snoopy lighting was much better/brighter without the oversized lightbulbs, but the trees/garland wreaths really need work. A lot of the lights don’t work. Maybe that’s a rolling refurbishment. 

Sounds of Nativity really got more enhancements to draw attention over there and it seemed to work. Still feel like the talent in that “show” is wasted in a venue competing with a petting zoo. 

• Like 1

Nativity has some of the best vocalists that park has had, but one has to listen to them over the donkey braying and chatter of people interacting with the animals. 

Overall the lighting is improved some.     Planet Snoopy looks much better with the LED lights in the trees instead of the dull toy lights.    The blue and white striped trees behind/beside Festhaus look great.

The lights in Coney change color but they are no longer synced to the music. 

Still way too many white lights in thd trees.  CF does this at all their parks. 

The parade has backfired if it is meant to keep people in the park.  There is a mass exodus when it is over.   It’s nice that the park is peaceful that last hour. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, super7 said:

Nativity has some of the best vocalists that park has had, but one has to listen to them over the donkey braying and chatter of people interacting with the animals. 

Overall the lighting is improved some.     Planet Snoopy looks much better with the LED lights in the trees instead of the dull toy lights.    The blue and white striped trees behind/beside Festhaus look great.

The lights in Coney change color but they are no longer synced to the music. 

Still way too many white lights in thd trees.  CF does this at all their parks. 

The parade has backfired if it is meant to keep people in the park.  There is a mass exodus when it is over.   It’s nice that the park is peaceful that last hour. 

Agree about nativity. That’s why I wish it was its own experience, and use cutouts of the peanuts gang for the petting zoo nativity. My idea was put the classic nativity and vocalists in tower gardens with the stained glass nativity. Add additional stained glass panels  that light up as different parts of the story are narrated and sung. Call it “Silent Night, Holy Night”. Move Candy Cane Lane to the path to Rivertown using the footers from year one for the candy canes and even add a path in the grass fir some of the additional props. Bring back a big red/white lit tree to the base from year one. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Agree about nativity. That’s why I wish it was its own experience, and use cutouts of the peanuts gang for the petting zoo nativity. My idea was put the classic nativity and vocalists in tower gardens with the stained glass nativity. Add additional stained glass panels  that light up as different parts of the story are narrated and sung. Call it “Silent Night, Holy Night”. Move Candy Cane Lane to the path to Rivertown using the footers from year one for the candy canes and even add a path in the grass fir some of the additional props. Bring back a big red/white lit tree to the base from year one. 

I think using the Peanuts gang for the nativity would go over like a lead balloon. I mean, the thought of it is making me chuckle right now but I could see some finding that incredibly offensive. 

:D

• Like 1

And yea, coney is a disappointment. That was an improvement that has really not been kept up. A lot of elements weren’t even lit Sat night. The Elf props are wasted there. They aren’t lit at all and make no sense with the LED neon stuff. Wish they would move all of the elf props to Festhaus area where the elf show is, light them properly all around the lake and make it a focused elf village. Then really really play up the “CONEY CHRISTMAS” with Christmas dance music, a well maintained light show and incorporate the crazy drug trip tree into it. 

• Like 1

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic