The Beast Retrack Work

JimParker85

9 hours ago, Kenban said:

I will say this, I have heard that something is happening.  Replacement?  Rebuild by PTC?  We might find out when we hear more details about the retracking.

I think we can put those rumors to bed from this tweet alone. There really is no reason to send the trains out to be rebuilt. The same exact work gets done at the park. The parks that send out their trains don’t have the facility to do that kind of offseason work.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kenban said:

Upgraded restraint hardware so the park can do away with the 2 click rule and have similar policies to the rest of the chain.

I never really understood this "2 click" rule. Is there any specific reasons as to why. Is it mechanical? Just merely another Cedar Fair safety precaution? 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Coasterteam said:

I never really understood this "2 click" rule. Is there any specific reasons as to why. Is it mechanical? Just merely another Cedar Fair safety precaution? 

I've had restraints move up one position/click during a ride before, so I certainly won't question that rule. I'm guessing its when the ratchet wasn't fully in position despite the audible click.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

I've had restraints move up one position/click during a ride before, so I certainly won't question that rule. I'm guessing its when the ratchet wasn't fully in position despite the audible click.

Oh wow, yeah that's probably for the best to keep the rule. The only downside is folks on the larger size certainly have trouble getting two clicks.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Coasterteam said:

I could be wrong, but I thought the rides needed 3 points of safety.  On out PTC's 2 clicks on the lap bar and the seat belt equals the 3.

On DB and Orion you have the 3 clicks on the shell restraints to get the 3. (Remember DB ran without seat belts for quite some time.)

• Like 1

Even though KI has their own department to work on the PTC's, I generally like the trains that do go back to PTC more than KI's Racer and Beast sets.   The ones rehabbed by PTC feel like they track better to me from a ride comfort standpoint.  The sets at KI are just more padded than most other sets.  

I almost want KI just to get 7 all new PTC trains if they stick with them, or at least 4 for Racer's 50th.    

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Kenban said:

Although a total rebuild by PTC would be nice if it includes them upgrading components.  Foot pedals to unlock restraints instead of the nails.  Upgraded restraint hardware so the park can do away with the 2 click rule and have similar policies to the rest of the chain.

I'm confused what you mean by the nails?  I know how the foot pedals work, but lost on the nails part. 

1 minute ago, Shawn Meyer said:

I'm confused what you mean by the nails?  I know how the foot pedals work, but lost on the nails part. 

The tools they use at KI to release the restrains by hand if they have to on the PTC's. Some of the ride ops use them to make sure you have your 2 clicks as well.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

Or we may not find out anything until the park opens for the 2022 season...

I'm surprised they haven't made any official blog post about it, considering they did one for The Racer retracking in mid November. We'll certainly see an announcement sooner or later, just not sure when! 

Either way, really excited to see what the park does with it. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised they haven't made any official blog post about it, considering they did one for The Racer retracking in mid November. We'll certainly see an announcement sooner or later, just not sure when! 
Either way, really excited to see what the park does with it. 

More info will be revealed soon. Patience.
I would love to see the GG Timberliners on The Beast. It would allow for a smoother and faster ride without the banging around the PTCs do. And yes, the Timberliners will fit and operate on The Beast. This was told to me by a very reputable source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Park could've gotten out ahead of it and announced before there was even track work.  They should be aware this is going to happen time and time again and just embrace and get out ahead of it.  We need to quit being naive and surprised the drone stuff happens.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Park could've gotten out ahead of it and announced before there was even track work.  They should be aware this is going to happen time and time again and just embrace and get out ahead of it.  We need to quit being naive and surprised the drone stuff happens.   

So the park has to make alterations in their game plan because of a criminal? The park has gotten ahead of it, it’s just that you’ve lost events. One bad grape can sour the bunch.

• Confused 3

^What would the incentive of the drone operator be if the park announced the re-tracking ahead of a single piece of wood being removed and then providing pics of the work before the drones could?

And yes, the park should adapt to that stuff.  That's what a good PR staff is for.  They're letting the drone operators walk all over them otherwise. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

So the park has to make alterations in their game plan because of a criminal? The park has gotten ahead of it, it’s just that you’ve lost events. One bad grape can sour the bunch.

I kind of take offense to this because back in 2006 I flew over the park a snapped the construction photos of what was to become Firehawk and posted the photos as a front page announcement of this very site. It was not formally announced until February. At that time no one knew that was happening or that we were even getting the coaster. Even more-so, the then park PR Maureen communicated to me personally they they were ok with it after the photos were posted of the constitution progress. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

We need to quit being naive and surprised the drone stuff happens.   

I do agree, in this day and age the park should know this is going to happen. 

8 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

So the park has to make alterations in their game plan because of a criminal?

What will be the next technology that comes out to make it even easier to get aerial pictures of the park? It will not get easier for the park, only harder. 

Like @silver2005said, at this point everyone know it's is going to happen. If the park has no legal ground to stop them,  like it or not, the park has to adapt and plan ahead. Just like when phones got video and photo capabilities. The park had to make adjustments, now they have to do the same for drones and whatever comes next. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

I kind of take offense to this because back in 2006 I flew over the park a snapped the construction photos of what was to become Firehawk and posted the photos as a front page announcement of this very site. It was not formally announced until February. At that time no one knew that was happening or that we were even getting the coaster. Even more-so, the then park PR Maureen communicated to me personally they they were ok with it after the photos were posted of the constitution progress. 

There’s a special place in theme park jail for folks like you. I can’t imagine how you can sleep at night. 

/sarcasm 

This is the most confounding argument on this site. It’s time for everyone to move on. If this is the most unjust thing that occurs in your life, consider yourself lucky. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Yes.

Apple announced the iPhone almost 6 months before it launched because they knew that their "secret" would be revealed before they could announce it due to the fact that the they had to register it with the FCC. I'm sure they would have wanted to announce it on Tuesday and release it on the following Friday like they do now, but unfortunately, such is life. The park is well aware that as time goes on, it is more likely that stuff will leak out. What DIDN'T we know about Orion? We even knew the two possible names. We knew the height. We knew the theme. We knew the queue. What didn't we know? The color? I bet if they had waited another week we would have known that. Certain individuals at the park made the decision they made and it clearly has backfired. Once it's announced, it'll be mildly interesting rather than big news. This is the world we live in, either you can relate to the public or not. It's not on your terms, it's on theirs.

17 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

The park was well aware of what you were doing. They somehow both didn't endorse what you were doing, but also embraced it. The synergy was amazing between the site and the park for a long time. I remember writing the front page article, "Action at Fort Cooper" and that was the media's first alert of any action. This was before track even started showing up. The article highlighted your photos of land clearings in the area which lead to the speculation. The whole thing was brilliant. It seeded interest and was a total, "You know that I know that you know...." situation. 

See also, "Two original things being removed from the park" back in late 2014. It wasn't Racer. (It was the parking tolls) It wasn't going to be Racer. We knew it wasn't. You knew it wasn't. But there was pictures of The Racer along with the article, so you HAD to stop and think... the media noticed.

Maybe if there was more creative communications now and less Tweeting out selfies with news reporters then more things like that could happen again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, kissfan4 said:

For someone to be labeled a criminal, I believe they would have to do something illegal! 

Per KI's website:

All drones (Unmanned Aerial Systems) are prohibited at (in) all Cedar Fair parks, including Kings Island, and any unauthorized drone(s) observed over Kings Island will be reported to the FAA and local law enforcement, regardless of its point of origin or operation. Drones may pose a potential safety risk and may violate Federal Aviation Administration guidelines. Unauthorized flight may result in revoked visitation privileges.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad_1138 said:

All drones (Unmanned Aerial Systems) are prohibited at (in) all Cedar Fair parks, including Kings Island, and any unauthorized drone(s) observed over Kings Island will be reported to the FAA and local law enforcement, regardless of its point of origin or operation. Drones may pose a potential safety risk and may violate Federal Aviation Administration guidelines. Unauthorized flight may result in revoked visitation privileges.

That is Kings Island saying they don't want you to fly over the park, doing so doesn't make you a criminal. Kings Island unfortunately does not own the air space above the park, as long as you are taking off, and landing, from property you are permitted to be on, and not trespassing there. You can legally fly over the park as long as you adhere to the FAA drone rules! The same way i cant keep you from flying a drone over my house, Kings Island can not punish you legally! Yes, as stated, they can revoke your visitation privilege's, as they can do for any of their patrons that were to break any of their rules.

• Like 5

Seems like we have this debate every offseason now.

1) its not illegal to fly a drone (or a plane) over KI, as KI doesn't own the air space.  I believe this point has been put to rest multiple times.

2) KI does not want drones flying over their property, even during off hours to limit any work leaking out to the public before they desire.

3) KI does not want KI Central to allow any posts or links (?) to site of said drone or photo evidence of things going on in the park that have not been made public by KI.

4) KI Central has agreed to this request from KI

Points 1-3 are I believe fact and not up for debate.

Point 4, if the choice of those who run and manage this site, while you may or may not agree to their choice, unless you own or run this site then you get very little say in the decision.

5) Can we just pin this information somewhere to point to the next time this debate comes up?

• Like 4