KI OPENING DAY 2022

RedSummit20

I am excited that they announced opening day already.  

April 16th is the day before Easter.  I am glad that they are opening at their usual opening time in mid-April instead of the beginning of May like they did this year. This looks to be a more "normal" operating calendar.  Ie, 10am openings, and daily operations beginning in mid-late May.  

• Like 3

Total speculation, but they probably released the schedule so early to try to move the needle on the long-time passholders that haven't renewed yet and squash some of the chatter about CF going into next year with the same schedule because after all, they made money and have had record per cap spending even with truncated schedules.

I know many people, and have seen it going around social media too, that people were waiting to renew to see what "offering" they would have for 2022 - would it be more like pre-pandemic schedule or pandemic schedule. 

Glad to see KI returning to pre-pandemic schedule, although at least early on it appears Cedar Point is going to follow pandemic scheduling.

• Like 2

It’s a little weird that they close at 8:00 on Saturdays the first two weekends instead of 10:00. I always looked forward to seeing what the new nightly show was all about, but I guess that gives me a few more weeks to look forward to it after opening. 

Still a little disappointed that they didn’t do midnight closings really at all during the normal season. 

4 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

It’s a little weird that they close at 8:00 on Saturdays the first two weekends instead of 10:00. I always looked forward to seeing what the new nightly show was all about, but I guess that gives me a few more weeks to look forward to it after opening. 

Still a little disappointed that they didn’t do midnight closings really at all during the normal season. 

We are taking a page out of KD playbook and will have 8pm fireworks :P

They are probably hoping the 8pm closings early on will keep the crowds down somewhat to give the associates time to learn the job.

Enjoy the July 3rd midnight close LOL.

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Total speculation, but they probably released the schedule so early to try to move the needle on the long-time passholders that haven't renewed yet and squash some of the chatter about CF going into next year with the same schedule because after all, they made money and have had record per cap spending even with truncated schedules.

I know many people, and have seen it going around social media too, that people were waiting to renew to see what "offering" they would have for 2022 - would it be more like pre-pandemic schedule or pandemic schedule. 

Glad to see KI returning to pre-pandemic schedule, although at least early on it appears Cedar Point is going to follow pandemic scheduling.

That’s what I do for the All Season Meal Plan. I remember when they went from two hours to four and then tried to make it so you got “lunch” from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. and “dinner” between 4:00 p.m and 6:00 p.m. (or whatever the times were). I suppose seven years into it, it would be hard to make a change like that. I’m still a little shook from when Cedar Point tried to up-charge for several third party restaurants. I was waiting for the day you can get a burger or pizza on the meal plan but Coney BBQ… that’s Meal Plan plus $5. Some of you old schoolers may remember when I was publicly worried when KI was offering the Haunt buffet in the Picnic Grove for an up-charge on the meal plan right around the same time. I feared that they were testing the waters. Perhaps they were.

Now with something like Snow Day Buffet, I wouldn’t expect that to be on the Meal Plan, so I think it’s actually a benefit to have the option. Same with Midway Market. 

I suppose time has allayed my apprehensions, but it is nice to drop the money in sections. So buying the season pass early and the add ons closer to opening day.

Thank you for watching my Ted Talk that had little to do with the operating calendar. :D

• Like 2

These may be just “boiler plate” hours subject to change closer to the actual scheduled week.  Interesting  they are scheduled to be open on Easter Sunday April 17 (12-7pm) as many businesses like Target and Costco are closed on Easter (so park could be packed depending upon the weather or could be very empty).  Also, some may recall the CP disaster when they decided to close on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the last minute in June after many had already made their travel plans based upon their released schedule early in the season.

46 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

These may be just “boiler plate” hours subject to change closer to the actual scheduled week.  Interesting  they are scheduled to be open on Easter Sunday April 17 (12-7pm) as many businesses like Target and Costco are closed on Easter (so park could be packed depending upon the weather or could be very empty).  Also, some may recall the CP disaster when they decided to close on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the last minute in June after many had already made their travel plans based upon their released schedule early in the season.

Seems like Cedar Fair has a tenancy to be closed on Easter, Paramount was always open if Easter was in April. I’m also surprised they opted to open. I guess they need to make up their operating days somehow. 

Remember things can change. I find it weird they are open until midnight on July 3rd, but not the 4th like in the past. I have a feeling that may change, but we'll see with time. I'm also excited to hear about the special events planned for next year and interested in seeing if they'll do stuff similar to what Cedar Point did last year.  

20 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Cedar Fair really dropped the ball on how they handled COVID.  I think Six Flags did much better in that regards.  

The pandemic (similar to 9/11) has shown the world how totally unprepared we all were for such an event to the point that accurately determining what was the correct way of handling it cannot be identified yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Winterfestguy said:

Interesting they are scheduled to be open on Easter Sunday April 17 (12-7pm) as many businesses like Target and Costco are closed on Easter (so park could be packed depending upon the weather or could be very empty).  

They were open Easter Sunday 4/16/2017, and our family went that day. It was not very busy at all. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 7:01 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

It seems a few changes have been made to Kings Island‘s 2022 calendar since its release. Notably, Opening Day and the following Saturdays in April have hours until 10:00 PM. These days previously had hours until only 8:00 PM. Also, it seems like for Fridays in May, the park now opens at 10:00 AM instead of the previously posted 5:00 PM. The park still closes at 10:00 PM on these Fridays.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2021 at 7:01 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

Update: the first two weekends are now listed as 10:00pm closes. 

11 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Update: the first two weekends are now listed as 10:00pm closes. 

Do you think they'll keep to that schedule? I presume if they can't find enough people they're going to shoot down the closing times but hopefully they do. They seem to be going overboard on hiring events & I hope it helps them find more people. 

23 hours ago, Coasterteam said:

Do you think they'll keep to that schedule? I presume if they can't find enough people they're going to shoot down the closing times but hopefully they do. They seem to be going overboard on hiring events & I hope it helps them find more people. 

I do. I don’t see them changing it twice. 

14 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

I don't think I've done a passholder preview. What are those days like? Are a lot of rides closed? Crowds?

Most rides are open and some of the largest crowds LOL.

You can do a search here to see how busy LOL.  

Take a look at the first few pages of this thread to get an idea...IIRC last year was the first season passholder preview that they let Fast Lane be used as well....

• Like 1