How is no one talking about the parking lot finally getting repaved?

BoddaH1994

7 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

I wonder how much of the parking lot they are actually going to repave.  It has needed some work lately, as the pot holes were quite treacherous and sometimes difficult to avoid.

My guess: all of it except maybe Soak City. They may do that next year. Even if they are only doing this one section I’ll be happy because it’s the busiest section and also one of the worst. 

• Like 3

RE: cost.  I did a little Dr. Google research.  Assumption-93 acres.  This is 4051080 sq feet.   How many sq. feet in an acre? - Acres to Square Feet (calculatorology.com)

Cost to blacktop per sq. ft:  $1.59*  (according to the website, it is 1.49 to 1.69, so I went with the midpoint)  How Much Does Commercial Parking Lot Paving Cost? | ProMatcher

Cost: $6.441,217.20

93 acre lot came from  a previous discussion here on KIC.  The handicap and preferred parking lot will probably not get paved, maybe resealed and restriped to match.

They may not resurface the entire lot.

The price may be lower (discount for off season work) or higher (premium price for off season work/materials).

Finally, it's my opinion that this and other investments are very exciting for the future of KI.  Ride repaints, infrastructure, and rebuilding of The Beast represent a huge capital outlay, not to mention everything else since 2017.  

I hope the $100 IR tickets, pen sets, posters, meal plans, drink plans continue to sell well so these projects will continue to be "funded."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

RE: cost.  I did a little Dr. Google research.  Assumption-93 acres.  This is 4051080 sq feet.   How many sq. feet in an acre? - Acres to Square Feet (calculatorology.com)

Cost to blacktop per sq. ft:  $1.59*  (according to the website, it is 1.49 to 1.69, so I went with the midpoint)  How Much Does Commercial Parking Lot Paving Cost? | ProMatcher

Cost: $6.441,217.20

93 acre lot came from  a previous discussion here on KIC.  The handicap and preferred parking lot will probably not get paved, maybe resealed and restriped to match.

They may not resurface the entire lot.

The price may be lower (discount for off season work) or higher (premium price for off season work/materials).

Finally, it's my opinion that this and other investments are very exciting for the future of KI.  Ride repaints, infrastructure, and rebuilding of The Beast represent a huge capital outlay, not to mention everything else since 2017.  

I hope the $100 IR tickets, pen sets, posters, meal plans, drink plans continue to sell well so these projects will continue to be "funded."

I imagine they’d be working at a discount since it likely went to bid. But still… a huge discount would make it, what? $5 million? That’s was WindSeeker’s price alone.

But hey, if KI wants to charge a premium for premium experiences and premium products and the result is nicer stuff for everyone then Godspeed. 

• Like 5

Is the pavement the original 1972! pavement like some of restrooms still are from then?   The lot was in the worst shape of any park that I have been to recently.    It was disintegrated in places.  

When will there be money in the budget to update the urine scented 1972 restrooms? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, super7 said:

Is the pavement the original 1972! pavement like some of restrooms still are from then?   The lot was in the worst shape of any park that I have been to recently.    It was disintegrated in places.  

When will there be money in the budget to update the urine scented 1972 restrooms? 

The updated men's rooms still have this issue.  The ones without cooling need to have their HVAC systems updated.  Men splash at the urinals by nature, they need to switch to the urinal pad that disperses the stream so splash is minimized.  You see these in truck stops.  

They also need to add restroom buildings.  Each land should have at least 2 stand alone restroom buildings in most instances.  Planet Snoopy needs one between First Aid and The Beastie.  Rivertown needs one near the Crypt.  Coney Mall is ok, but Area 72 needs a stand alone restroom building.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, super7 said:

The parking lot was gravel in 1972. I think it was paved either the next year or soon after. Unlikely to be original, but decades old.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

The updated men's rooms still have this issue.  The ones without cooling need to have their HVAC systems updated.  Men splash at the urinals by nature, they need to switch to the urinal pad that disperses the stream so splash is minimized.  You see these in truck stops.  

They also need to add restroom buildings.  Each land should have at least 2 stand alone restroom buildings in most instances.  Planet Snoopy needs one between First Aid and The Beastie.  Rivertown needs one near the Crypt.  Coney Mall is ok, but Area 72 needs a stand alone restroom building.

You are right.  Additional restrooms are needed.   Good ventilation and Clorox cleaning keeps the smell from happening.  

It’s not just the smell.  Touch less faucets and stop dispensers were invented decades ago.  Abd it would be nice if the doors opened outward.   It’s pretty hard to actually wash your hands and keep them clean leaving those filthy outdated restrooms. 

It is great that we won’t lose suspension parts in a parking lot pothole. 

I am surprised they are spending money on the parking lot given the debt load of CF. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I see now this became the bathroom thread? Lol. Imo the restroom that needs the most attention is definitely the men's restroom on I-street right when you enter the park. It only has one stall lol.  

Fun fact: when that restroom was opened in 1972, the park’s food lineup intentionally featured items with little fiber so they could save money on installing bathroom stalls. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

The two best bathrooms in the park are the ones over by Invertigo and WindSeeker.  They also have consistent hot water.

And if you want to see sketchy restrooms go to Camden Park.

I've been in those restrooms a number of times over the years. Those are the worst and I'd take the ones by Raptor any day over those. 

I'm glad they are finally paving the parking lot. As Ryan has probably noted over the years, this is a topic that has come up several times. We have complained about that lot many times. It only took 2 decades of complaining for it to get done.:lol:

57 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

I've been in those restrooms a number of times over the years. Those are the worst and I'd take the ones by Raptor any day over those. 

I'm glad they are finally paving the parking lot. As Ryan has probably noted over the years, this is a topic that has come up several times. We have complained about that lot many times. It only took 2 decades of complaining for it to get done.:lol:

I think Invertigo restroom and the Planet Snoopy (By the Ghost of Resturaunts Past, not the Rivertown side) ones are the best as they have AC and seemingly improved ventilation so the smell is minimal.

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Fun fact: when that restroom was opened in 1972, the park’s food lineup intentionally featured items with little fiber so they could save money on installing bathroom stalls. 

Now there is an obscure KI fact I have never heard.  Spock Fascinating GIF - Bing images

• Like 1