How is no one talking about the parking lot finally getting repaved?

BoddaH1994

11 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

The parking lot was gravel in 1972. I think it was paved either the next year or soon after. Unlikely to be original, but decades old.

I think that the edges of the parking lot were gravel (it's a little hard to tell in photos), but the main section in the middle was paved. Here are a pair of photos from 1972, shared by Steve Reiner in the Kings Island History Facebook group.

130974055_10224641353445849_3020644295479507751_o Parking Lot.jpg

130880056_10224641354645879_5969857971250513679_o Parking Lot.jpg

One more photo, cropped from one by the Ohio Department of Transportation in 1972... the far left and right definitely look like they could be gravel (also interesting that buses used to park on the right, whereas today that area is handicap / associate parking... I wonder when that changed?)

image.png

• Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

I think that the edges of the parking lot were gravel (it's a little hard to tell in photos), but the main section in the middle was paved. Here are a pair of photos from 1972, shared by Steve Reiner in the Kings Island History Facebook group.

130974055_10224641353445849_3020644295479507751_o Parking Lot.jpg

130880056_10224641354645879_5969857971250513679_o Parking Lot.jpg

One more photo, cropped from one by the Ohio Department of Transportation in 1972... the far left and right definitely look like they could be gravel (also interesting that buses used to park on the right, whereas today that area is handicap / associate parking... I wonder when that changed?)

image.png

I had always heard it was gravel to start, some of the lots being gravel would account for that story. I’m going to assume that’s the case. Great find!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 10:26 AM, super7 said:

I am surprised they are spending money on the parking lot given the debt load of CF. 

Well the only new roller coaster in the chain is going to Kings Dominion. I'm sure park updates don't cost as much as a brand new roller coaster does. Someone help me out here, does scrapping a roller coaster like Cedar Point is doing actually help them out financially? I'm sure they get some money back for the steel scrap. 

51 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Someone help me out here, does scrapping a roller coaster like Cedar Point is doing actually help them out financially? I'm sure they get some money back for the steel scrap. 

No, the cost to bring it down is going to be a lot more than its scrap value. I am sure the value of the scrap is going to be taken out of the cost of the demo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The parking lot was gravel in 1972. I think it was paved either the next year or soon after. Unlikely to be original, but decades old.

I think in some parts The holes were deep enough I was able to actually travel through time and drive on the original gravel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Well the only new roller coaster in the chain is going to Kings Dominion. I'm sure park updates don't cost as much as a brand new roller coaster does. Someone help me out here, does scrapping a roller coaster like Cedar Point is doing actually help them out financially? I'm sure they get some money back for the steel scrap. 

I think it depends, some companies will scrap for free, because of the money they will get from the scrap. Probably has a lot to do with the area of the country, and the price of scrap.

• Thanks 1

They may not actually be repaving the lot right now, just preparing to repave.  Most asphalt plants shut down in the area for the winter and reopen in early spring.

They are indeed repaving right now.
A section near the entry gate (sort of as you drive to preferred parking) is now completed. Repaved and new yellow lines painted.

The parking section signs (Ie row numbers) were still removed when I went last night, but surely they will be reinstalled when the project is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1