Interesting security observation

chuck norris

So we went to winterfest last night just for dinner and walking around a bit.

Left by 7:00.

As we left, my kids noticed 3 different pocket knives near the base of some bushes.

Not all together, and it wasn’t like they were walking in the landscaping pulling back branches.

This was as we walked out of the park we could clearly see these knives just sitting there.

Although there typically aren’t issues with winterfest… knowing the history this season of teenage fights; I picked up the knives and brought them back to security to deal with (they locked them up on the lockers… so hopefully the owners could describe them and get them back???)

I believe if you do have a weapon, security will allow you to turn it over to them, they lock it in a locker, and then give you a “valet ticket” of sorts to get it when you leave.

Should the PA announcement as you enter better explain this process? Currently it just says “weapons are not allowed, please return them to your vehicle”… and apparently people are too lazy or just don’t value their knife enough to justify the 5 minute walk back to their car at that point. Or should security sweep the nearby landscaping with a metal detector throughout the night to locate dropped weapons (and maybe add some small signs by common hiding places telling people to not leave items in the bushes)?

Or am I an over paranoid parent who should have just left 3 knives in plain site along the path?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You were right to turn them in as you don’t know what you don’t know. Plus they could have honestly been left behind by accident and you helped reunite them with their owners. 

I do agree that the rules should be more clear.

I also have thought about how easily it would be for someone to place a gun in the landscaping, go through security, and reach over and get it. I assumed the associates are trained to look for that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chuck norris said:

So we went to winterfest last night just for dinner and walking around a bit.

Left by 7:00.

As we left, my kids noticed 3 different pocket knives near the base of some bushes.

Not all together, and it wasn’t like they were walking in the landscaping pulling back branches.

This was as we walked out of the park we could clearly see these knives just sitting there.

Although there typically aren’t issues with winterfest… knowing the history this season of teenage fights; I picked up the knives and brought them back to security to deal with (they locked them up on the lockers… so hopefully the owners could describe them and get them back???)

I believe if you do have a weapon, security will allow you to turn it over to them, they lock it in a locker, and then give you a “valet ticket” of sorts to get it when you leave.

Should the PA announcement as you enter better explain this process? Currently it just says “weapons are not allowed, please return them to your vehicle”… and apparently people are too lazy or just don’t value their knife enough to justify the 5 minute walk back to their car at that point. Or should security sweep the nearby landscaping with a metal detector throughout the night to locate dropped weapons (and maybe add some small signs by common hiding places telling people to not leave items in the bushes)?

Or am I an over paranoid parent who should have just left 3 knives in plain site along the path?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your screen name is Chuck Norris and you didn't solve the problem with a roundhouse kick?  :P

You definitely did the right thing. We all have to realize that nowhere in this world is as safe as it was even 10 years ago. People are just a lot more unpredictable and angry these days. Regardless of why the knives were there, handing them over to security was the right thing to do. If they were simply lost or forgotten it was right to give them to security and if they had actually been hidden or stashed same thing - It's always right to give lost or mysterious/harmful objects to the proper authority. 

• Like 1