Beast project details revealed!

BoddaH1994

“The original design of The Beast had the upper and lower track in the helix on top of each other. In order to simplify the geometry of the crossover, the lower bents will be upper bents until the tunnel.”

Seems like a simple typo that should read:

“The original design of The Beast had the upper and lower track in the helix on top of each other. In order to simplify the geometry of the crossover, the lower bents will be separate from the upper bents until the tunnel.”

• Like 3

^ Did The Racer what? 

I think he was asking “did The Racer lose their ace status when they retracked it this summer”.

Although it’s not a relevant question since The Racer didn’t change its layout or angles. They just replaced old wood for new.

As previously mentioned, The Beast is an ace landmark as a historic addition to coaster history. None of that changes with this retrack… especially as it will continue to be as long, tall, and fast as it was when it was originally given the ACE designation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Landmark designations by ACE are permanent.  It is purely to highlight the coasters historic importance.  Parks can modify the coasters or even remove the coaster and it’s designation will not change.  Big Dipper at Geauga Lake joined the list after the park was permanently closed but before the coaster was torn down.

ACE also has a coaster classics list which can be rescinded and is intended to highlight rides which operate in a classic manor.  Woodstock express used to qualify and it has since been rescinded.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenban said:

Landmark designations by ACE are permanent.  It is purely to highlight the coasters historic importance.  Parks can modify the coasters or even remove the coaster and it’s designation will not change.  Big Dipper at Geauga Lake joined the list after the park was permanently closed but before the coaster was torn down.

ACE also has a coaster classics list which can be rescinded and is intended to highlight rides which operate in a classic manor.  Woodstock express used to qualify and it has since been rescinded.

What change caused the rescission? I know that a big one that knocks coasters off that list is the removal of single buzz bars but Woodstock still has them. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

What change caused the rescission? I know that a big one that knocks coasters off that list is the removal of single buzz bars but Woodstock still has them. 

I might be wrong on this, but I believe it was the addition of seat belts.  There are a number of rules and everything from head rests, seat dividers, and even something as simple as assigned seating prevents the ride from qualifying.  I believe the rule in this case was you are required to be able to slide from side to side.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kenban said:

I might be wrong on this, but I believe it was the addition of seat belts.  There are a number of rules and everything from head rests, seat dividers, and even something as simple as assigned seating prevents the ride from qualifying.  I believe the rule in this case was you are required to be able to slide from side to side.

Did the removal of the (fka) Beaste's tunnel for its conversion to Fairly Odd Coaster have anything to do with the removal of the status? Or did it lose it's status before this point? TIA :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Let’s be real… even if The Beast lost its ACE plaque… would anyone care? Besides Hitler.

I'd forgotten about that. :lol:

1. "It's okay, at least midget wrestling is coming back" made me absolutely lose it. How I don't miss that era.
  2. HOW IS THAT VIDEO 10 YEARS OLD. I remember it being posted here like it was yesterday.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MDMC01 said:

Did the removal of the (fka) Beaste's tunnel for its conversion to Fairly Odd Coaster have anything to do with the removal of the status? Or did it lose it's status before this point? TIA :)

Here are the rules straight off of ACE’s website.

• The coaster must use traditional lap bars that allow riders to experience so-called airtime, or negative G's (that sensation of floating above the seat!). Individual, ratcheting lap bars do not meet this requirement.
  • ACE Coaster Classics allow riders to slide from side-to-side. A coaster with any restraint or device that restricts this freedom is not eligible for ACE Coaster Classic status.
  • ACE Coaster Classics allow riders to view the upcoming drops and thrills. Coasters with headrests on every seat, or the majority of seats, restrict this view and are not eligible for ACE Coaster Classic status.
  • On ACE Coaster Classics, riders are free to choose where they sit. Some parks' operating procedures assign seating; these coasters are not eligible for ACE Coaster Classic status.

That’s it, every single rule has to do with the train or operations.  Removing a tunnel makes no difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, chuck norris said:

Although it’s not a relevant question since The Racer didn’t change its layout or angles. They just replaced old wood for new.

Actually Racer did have its track shifted at some bents. You can see how the ledgers (long pieces of wood that the track sits atop) have been shifted down here... the old locations of the ledgers are the brown spots on the white posts.

May be an image of outdoors and text

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TombraiderTy said:

Actually Racer did have its track shifted at some bents. You can see how the ledgers (long pieces of wood that the track sits atop) have been shifted down here... the old locations of the ledgers are the brown spots on the white posts.

I think what most don’t realize is that The Racer wasn’t retracked, it was re-engineered. The new form of track that was advertised is the layman’s version of what went on. A lot of refitting to accommodate for the heavier trains as well as longevity happened too. I can’t wait to see what The Beast is like next year. 

• Like 3

On 12/28/2021 at 12:50 PM, Shawn Meyer said:

^ Did The Racer what? 

On 12/28/2021 at 12:14 PM, Oldschool75 said:

My question is, with altering The Beast, will they lose their ACE landmark plaque? 

1 hour ago, TombraiderTy said:

The Racer had as much as 3ft trimmed in track elevation in some spots. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

12,000 views… which means people are stumbling upon it by looking up Son of Beast… or looking up Hitler. 

I feel compelled to post this even though its completely out of context.

Also, ACE is pretty much irrelevant anymore.  

silver2005, who has no idea what is over.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Also, ACE is pretty much irrelevant anymore.  

I am not an ACE member, but I think you are wrong here. ACE  has done a lot for the industry and continues to do so for all parks far and wide. Look at what this very site and is members have done for Kings Island over the years. KIC has value for the park, not only with our news, history, pic galleries, forums, now podcast, and basically a fan ran marketing team for the park that costs them nothing.  Look at the way KIC has helped spark interest in younger individuals/members who are now in the industry. Members have encourage each other to peruse their dream. Heck we have a long time member that now does theming across the chain. A member who has written a history book. The list goes on.  ACE also helps provide those interests and passions by doing what they do. 

Getting back on topic,  I can't wait to see what new life is brought back to the Beast with the new engineering for the drop and helix.  If it is anything like they did for The Racer I can't wait to experience it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1