Beast project details revealed!

BoddaH1994

17 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Now that we're in the New Year, does anyone think we'll have an update on The Beast soon? I need some kind of update here! 

I'm guessing any updates will be from an unauthorized source, but I'm hoping for something official as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread because I've found a lot of people online confused about what Gravity Group is doing, so here are some visualizations. (also so I can link them to this thread!)

In the photo released by the park, we can see that this part of the non-enclosed helix is stripped of it's top layer/rails. We can likely presume the rest of this non-enclosed part is the same, but for now we just know this general part is also being re-tracked, likely in-house. Can't say about the second exit of the helix or inside of the helix, also unknown.

image.png

[Photo cropped from KI Beast Project Blog Post]

To also visualize what parts Gravity Group is specifically doing, here's a helpful visual.

(Base image: Google maps Satellite imagery) 

image.png

[Green = Confirmed track re-engineering by Gravity Group in the KI Blog Post] [Red = Normal re-tracking (in-house?)] [Red dotted; Possible but not known] 

It is currently unknown as to which sections are being included in the 1,090 feet of additional retracking, so if any construction progress is posted we might get glimpses/photos of the parts being worked on in-house. 

Will likely update visualizations after more information is officially released. 

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Updates! See my previous post above for information on other parts of the ride we know are being worked on. 

I do not intend to make this a thread discussing rumors of other trackwork areas, but this is the best place to put this for right now. 

Mr. Helbig has posted a construction update on The Beast, you can find the full blog post here: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2022/february/beast-roller-coaster-construction-project-update I recommend you read this first!

IMPORTANT DETAILS:

• Construction is going well
  • The banking of the turn coming out of the tunnel after the first drop has increased from 35 degrees to 50 degrees. [Trim anyone?]
  • The Gravity Group is currently finishing bents in the first tunnel and the engineered precut track will be installed next week.
  • Construction on the 540-degree double helix will begin in earnest the week of Feb. 14.
  • Track before the midcourse tunnel will be raised by approximately four feet. [AHH]

(Base image: Google maps Satellite imagery) 

image.png

RED: Confirmed in-house re-track 

YELLOW: Other hot-spots that might get retracked in-house [UNCONFIRMED] 

I am very curious by "Track before the midcourse tunnel will be raised by approximately four feet." being mentioned. Could this mean we might see Trims be reduced/removed?!?!

banner-beastref1.jpg

PHOTO CREDIT: Kings Island Blog (Don Helbig)

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

If you could ask Gravity Group a question about this project with the details we have already learned, what woud it be?

There isn't a whole lot to ask.

The only one that comes to mind would be whether they believe the ride could at some point, with an engineering perspective, run with reduced or no trims. I understand that it's entirely up to the park, but could the longevity of the ride be maintained with the reduction of trims. If no, then what, if any, areas would need to be given a focus.

• Like 1

I've had a discussion with someone involved with coaster engineering. Their reply to me was It could run with reduced trims if they switched to a different trains and reinforced certain sections with steel. The PTC trains are the thing that does most of the damage to The Beast. There is a lot that could be done with The Beast. Depends on how much $$ CF wants to spend on it. New trains are not cheap. 

• Like 2

The track ran slightly uphill before the second tunnel set.   If they are raising that track right before the tunnel, it sounds like they are just reducing the downhill slope after the covered trim brake run.     If so that’s not an improvement on the ride experience IMO

9 minutes ago, super7 said:

The track ran slightly uphill before the second tunnel set.   If they are raising that track right before the tunnel, it sounds like they are just reducing the downhill slope after the covered trim brake run.     If so that’s not an improvement on the ride experience IMO

yeah I've thought about it some more, not sure how I feel about this nor how it'll look. Curious though

Thinking back to the changes to Racer, a lot of the track movements were to make the arcs parabolic.  

Before this work the track was a gentle downward slope with a sudden pop up which I believe was due to the terrain before the left turn into the tunnel.  My guess is the dip was not a parabola or they just wanted to smooth out the dip.  I felt this was the roughest spot on the ride last year and remember the train just jack hammering right before the tunnel.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2022 at 2:27 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

If you could ask Gravity Group a question about this project with the details we have already learned, what woud it be?

Tell us about how you developed the new manufacturing process?

Compare and contrast to Intamin prefab wooden coaster product. 

What will the new sections mean for The Beast rider from an experience standpoint?

Why do wooden coaster get rough over time, and can your process help prevent that?

• Like 4

On 2/5/2022 at 2:27 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

I've seen interviews with Alan Schilke from RMC where he mentioned their team having a bucket list of coasters they wanted to give the I-Box track to. Does The Gravity Group have a bucket list of wooden roller coasters that they want to refurbrish with their precut track?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, super7 said:

With all this work will they finally clean the final brake run roof of all the garbage and put up a small wall to stop that nonsense? 

I think that a "small wall" would be much more intrusive and unsightly (let alone a expense which quite simply is unnecessary) than just letting people do what they've always done. 

Personally, I enjoy having a laugh seeing the weird and creative things people have thrown on top of the roofs next to The Beast and Diamondback. And of course the people that throw stuff on those roofs must enjoy doing it too.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, super7 said:

With all this work will they finally clean the final brake run roof of all the garbage and put up a small wall to stop that nonsense? 

It’s the modern day version of a gum wall/gum tree.   Thank goodness that fad is over.

Ive never understood why, in the off season, no one climbs up there with a broom.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

It’s the modern day version of a gum wall/gum tree.   Thank goodness that fad is over.

Ive never understood why, in the off season, no one climbs up there with a broom.  

Or a leaf blower during the season, maybe once a week or so. All that stuff is unsightly and (literally) trashy.

• Like 5