Kings Island Flat Rides Possibilities with Possible Locations

johnjniehaus

So I know this picture is a bit outdated so I've filled in Orion, Mystic Timbers, and Antique Autos. I was wondering what flat rides everyone would want to see either return to the park or see the park invest in? Here's a few possible locations too. So I'm going to post ideas for all the locations. Just specify what color the circle is and what flat ride you think would be a nice fit there. Enjoy! 

kings-island-satellite~3.jpg

• Like 1

Ok here's my list - 

Blue Circle: Viking Fury entrance should be moved and the Der Spinnen Keggers (aka drunken barrels) should be put across from the Festhaus.

Yellow Circle/Square: This is currently the Tower Gardens that while I guess has historical significance is really boring and Idk who actually goes in there. Anyway I'd love to see a HUSS Condor there. They are really showy rides when it comes to curb appeal and is different than anything we've had in the past. 

Green Square: This is behind the theater and near Diamondback. I think a ferris wheel perhaps? Not a small Eli one but not a huge one like CP either. Something in the middle. See my photo below. 

Purple Circle: Seeing as Bayne Curve is a thing of the past, a Matterhorn would fit the European/Octoberfest theming abd it is also a great ride! Cedar Point should just sell us theirs. Lol 

Red Circle: Finally a Trabaunt. Was my favorite ride as a kid at Coney Island and I was steamed when they took it out. KI apparently use to have one called Wheel of Fortune over near the log flume. Bringing it back near the Dogem would not only pay homage to Coney Island but bring back a classic I enjoyed as a kid. 

unnamed.jpg

7434026310_a2203136ee_b.jpg

FERRIS.jpg

Matterhorn_01.jpg

940faba96a276faf0e937346d461b3c5.jpg

• Like 3

Not every green space needs a new ride. I actually kinda like the green space behind tower especially when they put the graveyard there at Haunt. I do wish they would plant more trees there though. I've also thought about, if they don't plan on replacing Vortex with the next coaster, I thought of placing a flat or two where the station was and maybe one where the batwing was to kinda fill in the perimeter and hide the giant hole from the midway. I do think a Ferris Wheel would be nice especially a large one with enclosed gondolas and a light package that could run during Winterfest. Other flats I want are an s&s scream n swing, a zamperla air race, mondial top scan, a starship (gravitron) like ride, and a Hurricane ride (assuming someone still makes them). 

• Like 1

I would leave the yellow space as more of a park type setting as it looks nice there by the Tower, carousel, and end of IS. But it could be converted some to have a small food stand like the current Coca-Cola Marketplace by AE with some seating in a landscape park environment with trees and planters/flowers. Then you could remove the current Marketplace location and ladder game to add a flat there, along with Slingshot's current location. I would bring back Der Spinning Keggers as we don't have a teacups style ride, and then add something like Jimmy Neutron's Atomic Collider with either wooden clog themed cars as a nod to The Flying Dutchman or a Cuckoo Clock theme. [A bigger pipedream would be to actually put a tower station for a skyride I the Marketplace location that would go across the midway of Coney Mall to another tower around the spot of Vortex's old station.

I like your idea for a Trabant in the red circle. Would like great in that spot. And then another ride in the green area, not entirely sure what I would put there, kind of want something lower to the ground to keep the Tower as the only tall thing in that area. Maybe put a Matterhorn/Musik Express here.

In Area 72 in the open space to the left of FoF I'd add a little courtyard space with an Enterprise and a Sky Fly for a flight training theme.

In Rivertown I'd tear down the Crypt building and add a Screamin' Swing themed to mining and a standard Top Spin themed to logging. I'd also move the petting zoo back to this area with a farm setting around Beast's exit and build out that whole area some to open that space in Planet Snoopy for a giant Ferris wheel. I'd also add a tilt-a-whirl into PS as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, purdude86 said:

I would leave the yellow space as more of a park type setting as it looks nice there by the Tower, carousel, and end of IS. But it could be converted some to have a small food stand like the current Coca-Cola Marketplace by AE with some seating in a landscape park environment with trees and planters/flowers. Then you could remove the current Marketplace location and ladder game to add a flat there, along with Slingshot's current location. I would bring back Der Spinning Keggers as we don't have a teacups style ride, and then add something like Jimmy Neutron's Atomic Collider with either wooden clog themed cars as a nod to The Flying Dutchman or a Cuckoo Clock theme. [A bigger pipedream would be to actually put a tower station for a skyride I the Marketplace location that would go across the midway of Coney Mall to another tower around the spot of Vortex's old station.

I like your idea for a Trabant in the red circle. Would like great in that spot. And then another ride in the green area, not entirely sure what I would put there, kind of want something lower to the ground to keep the Tower as the only tall thing in that area. Maybe put a Matterhorn/Musik Express here.

In Area 72 in the open space to the left of FoF I'd add a little courtyard space with an Enterprise and a Sky Fly for a flight training theme.

In Rivertown I'd tear down the Crypt building and add a Screamin' Swing themed to mining and a standard Top Spin themed to logging. I'd also move the petting zoo back to this area with a farm setting around Beast's exit and build out that whole area some to open that space in Planet Snoopy for a giant Ferris wheel. I'd also add a tilt-a-whirl into PS as well.

Those are all great ideas! I could see leaving/fixing up the gardens and having the coca-cola thing in there. Would be nice. 

If we're talking area 72, I'd like to see a double ferris wheel (like the former Zodiac) go in there. To me, that would be way cooler than an actual ferris wheel. Considering that they aren't made anymore, it's rather unlikely but hey if Cedar Fair shows someone enough $ they could make it happen. Not only would it have the views, it would be efficient loading and to me the curb appeal is awesome. Hershey Park use to have one called Giant Wheel and it was on the brochures for years. Was too bad when they finally had to remove it. 

It may be unlikely to happen, but with Premier Rides refurbishing the old Kangaroo, the Norman Bartlett Flying Coaster from Kennywood, it would be cool to see them get the rights to the patent and bring that style of ride back. I say that it's unlikely because Kennywood likes to say that Kangaroo is the last of its kind, and because Premier has only made coasters.

Something to dream about.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

That would be cool!

I would love to see either a Jump2 (the one at Canada's Wonderland may be the only one) and/or a Top Scan (Shockwave at Canada's Wonderland) in Area 72. And I know they don't make these anymore, but I would love to see a SkySwat in Action Zone!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/30/2021 at 12:18 AM, Snowball said:

I'd love to see something replace the old ladder game. I think that area needs some love and would be my first pick to place a flat. The second place I'd pick is the sprite free throw. No idea what to put at either of those locations.

Hey it didn't get replaced with a flat ride but they definitely axed the ladder game! I remember a friend of mine who was retired running that game during the volunteer paramount days and getting screamed at by a teenaged supervisor for holding the ladder for a handicapped kid...I don't think anyone is crying that the ladder game is gone and if for some reason you are crying I offer my sincere condolences. Can't decide whether I like new landscape around Adventure Express que. Anyone else have an opinion on that? 

On 12/29/2021 at 12:41 PM, johnjniehaus said:

Ok here's my list - 

Blue Circle: Viking Fury entrance should be moved and the Der Spinnen Keggers (aka drunken barrels) should be put across from the Festhaus.

Yellow Circle/Square: This is currently the Tower Gardens that while I guess has historical significance is really boring and Idk who actually goes in there. Anyway I'd love to see a HUSS Condor there. They are really showy rides when it comes to curb appeal and is different than anything we've had in the past. 

Green Square: This is behind the theater and near Diamondback. I think a ferris wheel perhaps? Not a small Eli one but not a huge one like CP either. Something in the middle. See my photo below. 

Purple Circle: Seeing as Bayne Curve is a thing of the past, a Matterhorn would fit the European/Octoberfest theming abd it is also a great ride! Cedar Point should just sell us theirs. Lol 

Red Circle: Finally a Trabaunt. Was my favorite ride as a kid at Coney Island and I was steamed when they took it out. KI apparently use to have one called Wheel of Fortune over near the log flume. Bringing it back near the Dogem would not only pay homage to Coney Island but bring back a classic I enjoyed as a kid. 

unnamed.jpg

7434026310_a2203136ee_b.jpg

FERRIS.jpg

Matterhorn_01.jpg

940faba96a276faf0e937346d461b3c5.jpg

id love to see a return of der spinning keggers or a trabant. id also like to see what i saw onetime on a ride manufacturers web page of a teacup ride themed around half barrel shapes. but more than anything i would like to see a giant skystar wheel like the one in the smokies for the island.

On 4/12/2022 at 6:36 AM, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I think one of these would be a welcome addition to the midway.

chaos.jpg

Cedar Point actually had one from 1997 - 2010.  I rode it and it was fun, but not something you would or could marathon.  (https://coasterpedia.net/wiki/Chaos_(Cedar_Point))

Coasterpedia lists 25 of which 4 are still in operation. (https://coasterpedia.net/wiki/Chaos_(product)

Amusement Ride extravaganza has just over 50 total being built starting in 1996 with production being ceased in 2007. (https://www.ride-extravaganza.com/thrill/chaos/)

• Like 1