Knott's giga?

Plans for a large giga and parking garage at Knott's have supposedly leaked. I'm not familiar with the park but it seems something taking up that much of the parking lot is a bit odd, and relying on a parking garage to handle much of your parking may not be the best option either given what happens when you try to squeeze hundreds of cars out of the garage at the end of the night. https://www.themeparksandentertainment.com/2021/12/knotts-berry-farm-giga-coaster-plans.html

• Like 1

Don’t focus on the parking impacts, this is not the primary parking lot.  The design goes through the South parking lot, the hotel parking lot, and the dining and shopping parking lot.  The main parking for the park is across a major road and will not be impacted.  The parking garage appears to be for the hotel, but might be big enough to make up for all of the lost parking.

The design is giant, looks a good deal bigger then Fury 325, around the same height but a longer drop due to a tunnel to go under a road to a parking lot.  Around 320-325 tall, 347 foot drop, and I have seen estimates of track length of 7,000+ feet.  Might be just enough to hit 100 MPH.  With the parking garage this looks to me to be a $50+ million dollar project.

• Like 3

Parking garages are very expensive and may cost more than the coaster itself. It makes me wonder if this does happen if the city is going to help with some of the costs like the parking garages. In the plans it says parking structure #2 so that likely means 2 structures are going to be built. Ik Charlotte helped with the cost of Fury with tax incentives http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2013/09/carowinds-receiving-tax-breaks-to-help.html it makes me wonder if the city of Buena Park will help with the costs of the infrastructure updates like the parking structures. 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 12:00 AM, Oldiesmann said:

Plans for a large giga and parking garage at Knott's have supposedly leaked. I'm not familiar with the park but it seems something taking up that much of the parking lot is a bit odd, and relying on a parking garage to handle much of your parking may not be the best option either given what happens when you try to squeeze hundreds of cars out of the garage at the end of the night. https://www.themeparksandentertainment.com/2021/12/knotts-berry-farm-giga-coaster-plans.html

This news or rumor just burns me up for some reason. Although I love Orion, I feel like it was rushed to Kings Island. I believe after some time has moved on that Cedar Fair knew Vortex was done for, and had to hurry and replace Vortex and Firehawk. Thus they moved the alleged Hyper coaster from CGA to KI, and dubbed it a giga. This layout would have fit perfectly in the spot of land that is being used by Orion, and could have gone left where Orion turns around.  This just grinds my gears, and I feel like KI was appeased instead of getting what it truly should have received.

• Like 4

On 1/2/2022 at 7:31 PM, JimParker85 said:

They deserve it. That park is spectacular and in dire need of a high capacity attraction. When it's busy there it feels PACKED. 

Agreed!  Knotts is what I refer to as a "big small park."

It can be said that the most charming area - Ghost Town - is also historically the most neglected (in terms of ride installations.)  Another signature attraction in that area of the park would further revitalize it and draw crowds away from the Boardwalk area.  So many guests tend to ignore that side of the park (with the exception of Ghostrider) and its actually (IMO) the area that makes Knotts unique and unlike anything else at any other park in CA.

There's so much to love at Knotts.... Calico Mine, Calico River (the re-theme is superb!), Calico Train (the absolute best train ride at any park in the world), authentic horse-drawn wagon Rides, Timber Mountain (the best flume in the country) the original (and best) Camp Snoopy, Mrs Knotts Chicken Dinner Restaurant and so-on and so-on... they are real gems.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Does this match the leaked plans?  If so, it could be one of best 2 or 3 coasters in NA . . maybe even #1.  And who knows if it will even be built, changed or just canceled.  But if it does get built, it's just more confirmation to me that KI will never get something superior to CP.  Don't get me wrong, KI has world class coasters and there are many parks that would love to have our lineup.  But it's just what I feel is the reality of the situation.  idk

With that said, I have been more than happy with operations, food, shows and theming CF has brought to the park.  I have been going to KI since it opened in '72.  I do love all the new rides KI has received under CF.  My favorite is Mystic Timbers just because it is so fun to ride.  Again, it's just my opinion.

19 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Diamondback is superior to Magnum and Banshee crushes Raptor in stats. So the claim KI won't get anything superior to CP is false. I believe it's been discussed in another thread that the reason Orion wasn't bigger was the park's decision since they wanted it to appeal to a larger demographic.

You are aware Diamondback is 19 years newer and Banshee is nearly 20 years newer?  A lot of people prefer Magnum and Raptor as well still.