Cedar Point to raise ticket prices / fate of TTD still unknown

I wouldn’t rule out a removal of TTD. Remember, SOB was removed and it was a one of a kind wooden hyper coaster. So I would say all
Options are on the table still. What has me scratching my head is how they don’t know what caused it yet. I mean it’s been 5 months. You have to wonder if they know what caused it and are deciding if they want to put money into modifying a 20 year old steel coaster that already has issues with its launch system and is down a lot??

I guess time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

I wouldn’t rule out a removal of TTD. Remember, SOB was removed and it was a one of a kind wooden hyper coaster. So I would say all
Options are on the table still. What has me scratching my head is how they don’t know what caused it yet. I mean it’s been 5 months. You have to wonder if they know what caused it and are deciding if they want to put money into modifying a 20 year old steel coaster that already has issues with its launch system and is down a lot??

TTD has much more of an ability to lure in visitors from far away than SOB ever did amongst the broader public, not just enthusiasts, IMHO.  So there's a difference there.

At the same time, as you say, anything is possible.  The ride does have a rather high cost-per-rider and I imagine it isn't as much of a draw as it used to be.  Downtime is still a big problem after ~19 seasons of operation.

As for the investigation continuing?  When the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) investigates a major jet airliner crash, automobile crash, etc., their investigations take a while - sometimes two years.  The goal is to figure out exactly what failures in hardware, software, and people led to the incident and how it can be prevented from ever happening again.  It takes time to have a thorough understanding of these things, and isn't something you want to rush.  I don't really see it being a problem that they haven't finished the investigation yet.

3 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

I guess time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WE don't know what caused it. Whether Ohio and/or Cedar Fair know yet is unknown. May not be public yet. 

I'd be shocked if they removed it unless it's an absolute last resort. It's so iconic and I truly do believe that people still travel there just for that ride. The backlash may be pretty bad too. I don't think that people felt the same way about Son of Beast.

I think they mostly knew the cause in short order after it happened. I keep coming back to XCelerator never closing, not even for a day, at Knotts. Compare that to Canada's Wonderland taking Yukon down to 1 train ops immediately on the day of Valravn's train bump in 2019 (I happened to be there that day). Now, XCelerator remains open and was just given a brand new paint job. If they never re open Dragster it will be for cost savings and to avoid more regional media scrutiny, which was very heavy last August. It would greatly reduce the park and guest experience. It's honestly the only "irreplaceable" major coaster at the park, as the launch type is no longer used and it's replacement (see Red Force) is thought to be a lot less thrilling/aggressive.

4 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

WE don't know what caused it. Whether Ohio and/or Cedar Fair know yet is unknown. May not be public yet. 

We do know that the investigation is not yet over, meaning that they likely have a decent understanding of at least some contributing factors, but are not yet ready to say they've identified all of them.

Per the article:

Katie Boyer, a spokesperson for the Ohio Department of Agriculture, said the state's investigation into the matter continues.

Parts from the coaster were sent to a lab in an attempt to determine how they became dislodged after striking the coaster's track and became airborne.

Boyer said there is no date yet for when the investigation is expected to conclude.

1 hour ago, jsus said:

We do know that the investigation is not yet over, meaning that they likely have a decent understanding of at least some contributing factors, but are not yet ready to say they've identified all of them.

Per the article:

Right, but I’m saying they could have had some interesting findings or conclusions and we won’t know until they’re ready to talk. They’re not going to release anything until they consider themselves to be finished. 

50% of Cedar Point guests don’t want to ride Dick’s “dumbest decision”, Top Thrill Dragster. On a cost per rider basis, it is the most expensive ride in the park to operate.

https://www.coaster101.com/2016/01/12/book-review-dick-kinzel-biography/

I'm sure the above information will play into the discussion if TTD will be operating again.

TTD is the star of the show and draws many to the park even despite its costs. 50% may not ride it, but the notireity of the ride itself is enough to draw people to the park, look at it, say "oof thats my limit, but I will ride Magnum". Its a net draw. 

I know for a fact for 2020-2021 Cedar Point Maintenance completely revamped the launch system of the ride and did major retrofits to the ride. I dont think after that investment meant to create longevity for the ride they would tear it down without serious thoughts.

But the accident does expose the park to liability, from how well reported the accident was and the fact through FOIA the body cam showed an impartial view of what happened that day from Sandusky Police. This accident was the most serious the company has faced in my opinion since Son of Beast. Kings Dominion's Twisted Timbers incident from the loose cell phone lead to chain wide changes to cell phone policies in 2018-19, but this accident was different due to the liability being fulled fronted onto Cedar Fair over this incident. It will be very interesting to see the outcome. 

And in my personal opinion, how the park handled it initially was bungled to say the least. 

-stashua123 who has not been on the forum since February 2021 lol-

• Like 2

I have been lucky enough to ride Top Thrill Dragster a few times.  The launch and the atmosphere around the ride is awesome.  However on my last few visits to the park its been nothing but a dissapointment.  Queuing for an hour and have it break down.  I don't think anything really make sa guest more upset.  Its mechanical and things happen but this has happened to us multiple times the past few years.  Its time for the thing to go.  

• Like 1

I would think a final determination into the accident would be necessary before investment is made to any: queue line changes, design to trains, design to brake run etc. are made.

It is also possible the park & ODoA is allowing time for the victim to hopefully recover before any report is finalized.