Coasterstock 2022 Updates

IndyGuy4KI

On 5/22/2022 at 2:27 PM, disco2000 said:

And that makes the point I was getting at LOL. 

At one time many would consider KIC one of the best fan forums around.  Always a lot of content, great members, great layout with subforums, easy to navigate, etc. and the go to place for the happenings at KI.  Coasterstock was a great event as always and not a single post here about it.

With other social media outlets and changing consumer habits, forums like this are slowly disappearing, which is a shame. 

The Facebook pages are annoying with the same questions repeated weekly - are there fireworks tonight, how does the meal plan work, is the park busy today, etc., Almost of which every question there could be answered if someone simply looked at the KI website!  Lots of content and activity on the season passholder Facebook page, but no substance.

Contrast that to a site like this that one can easier find the info one is looking for.  Wanna know if it is busy - there is a thread for that. Wanna know what is new for 22, there is a thread for that. And then the opportunity to just dive deeper into content.

Sadly we will probably see this site follow in the paths of similar forums like the Carowinds forum and PKI Extreme.

This may make some people happy and my a upset some, but I thought I would share anyways. I am a teenage girl, which sounds weird to say, that has always been fascinated by the history of Kings Island. I actually did my huge research project on it! The information this forum has supplied me with for my project and own enjoyment is tremendous. I have gone to Kings Island every weekend since it has opened, and sharing facts from this forum always fascinates who I am with. As a girl who has been watching those Kings Island history videos since I was 6, I have obtained so much info. The first hand accounts and wonderful stories on this forum are something you don’t really see anywhere else. I really won’t allow this forum to go to waste and hope that this is viewed as another generation sharing the history behind this beautiful park.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, CK29304 said:

Kind of random but at the 20:10 mark in video, Koontz announced his goal is for Diamondback to be painted next year!

That's my video lol. Thanks for sharing! Yeah thats exciting!

4 hours ago, DonHelbig said:

Thanks for attending Coasterstock 2022. What was your favorite part?

ERT and behind the scenes of course! Also, running into you, Chad, and Kyle numerous times throughout the event was also a highlight! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Man, you lose faith in the site because I wasn't there to cover CoasterStock? Like you just said, KIC offers something a social site can not. The list of history, pics, and information on the main site. Then the forums with such a rich content of site user perspective and insite. 

I still add hundreds of pics every month when the park is open to our galleries. Update main site content (new page coming out this week I created last week.) We are active on social as well. The site is still getting a lot of site traffic every week. 

If I have anything to say about it, KIC it's not going anywhere any time soon. There is to much here to loose.

I guess without the fearless KIC leader in the Coasterstock house, everyone was afraid to post an update :P  I hope the site sticks around because it offers something that a social media site cannot.  You know the number of new members and posts better than I do, but I recall plenty of times in the past where at least one thread in every subforum was no older than a few hours, and now they go days, months or a year since the last post in that subforum.  Maybe a new coaster on the horizon will get it more active LOL.

2 hours ago, eadrewsKI said:

This may make some people happy and my a upset some, but I thought I would share anyways. I am a teenage girl, which sounds weird to say, that has always been fascinated by the history of Kings Island. I actually did my huge research project on it! The information this forum has supplied me with for my project and own enjoyment is tremendous. I have gone to Kings Island every weekend since it has opened, and sharing facts from this forum always fascinates who I am with. As a girl who has been watching those Kings Island history videos since I was 6, I have obtained so much info. The first hand accounts and wonderful stories on this forum are something you don’t really see anywhere else. I really won’t allow this forum to go to waste and hope that this is viewed as another generation sharing the history behind this beautiful park.

I have no idea why this would upset some?  And you are absolutely correct, sites like this offer way more than a Facebook account provides.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

I guess without the fearless KIC leader in the Coasterstock house, everyone was afraid to post an update :P  I hope the site sticks around because it offers something that a social media site cannot.  You know the number of new members and posts better than I do, but I recall plenty of times in the past where at least one thread in every subforum was no older than a few hours, and now they go days, months or a year since the last post in that subforum.  Maybe a new coaster on the horizon will get it more active LOL.

I have no idea why this would upset some?  And you are absolutely correct, sites like this offer way more than a Facebook account provides.

I was just nervous that there was an age restriction on the forum! I didn’t know if you had to be above 18 or something like that!! Sorry I should have explained that!

For me, I was too busy participating in Coasterstock to post updates.   This is my 7th Coasterstock and is something that I look forward to every year.  As enthusiasts, we have a heightened awareness of all things KI.  Being able to participate in Coasterstock, I think, gives a small feeling of "ownership" or being a "stakeholder" because you really are given royal treatment.  I can't describe the feeling of being able to be in the engineer car on the KI & MV RR--to stand in front of the train for a photo.  To be within feet of the gear/cog and chain of the second lift hill of The Beast.  To be in the helix and watch the wires  bounce as a train barrels around.  To hear the horns when coasters are testing in the early AM hours, or see wet pavers from the washing crew.  

I really hope a Winter Coasterstock can be a thing!  

And for those who were unable to get a ticket--I am sorry!  Don shared at lunch Saturday that the demand was there for 10k tickets.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I really hope a Winter Coasterstock can be a thing!  

And for those who were unable to get a ticket--I am sorry!  Don shared at lunch Saturday that the demand was there for 10k tickets.  

The beauty of Coasterstock is keeping crowds under control so you aren’t getting like one ride in during ERT. Holiday World for example, 3 hour wait for a ride on Voyage at night. Not really enjoyable for anyone. 

• Sad 1

I had a terrific time at CS - as always.  It really is a top-tier event.  IMO it far surpasses other events - due to the comradery.  It succeeds in prompting bonding among attendees on a more friendly level.

As far as no posts on KIC  - the fact the event was jam packed probably had something to do with it.  I’m exhausted today! (That’s always the sign of a great coaster event.)

Also, as a side note, it seems to me that soooooo many enthusiasts have a personal page, or site, or blog, or Instagram, or Twitter etc.  Too many garnering for their own likes, clicks etc.  So although there’s probably still demand for central hub of info like KIC, people with their own outlets/agendas likely save posts/pics for that. I don’t really “get” the influencer stuff - but there’s that too I suppose.

I personally made a concentrated effort to simply enjoy CS this year rather than trying to photo-document every single second for myself.  Makes a big difference when you just soak up the experience.  

It really was a great time.  Looking forward to next year!  Kudos to Don and the KI team.  The hard work shows!

• Like 9

I had a terrific time at CS - as always.  It really is a top-tier event.  IMO it far surpasses other events - due to the comradery.  It succeeds in prompting bonding among attendees on a more friendly level.
As far as no posts on KIC  - the fact the event was jam packed probably had something to do with it.  I’m exhausted today! (That’s always the sign of a great coaster event.)
Also, as a side note, it seems to me that soooooo many enthusiasts have a personal page, or site, or blog, or Instagram, or Twitter etc.  Too many garnering for their own likes, clicks etc.  So although there’s probably still demand for central hub of info like KIC, people with their own outlets/agendas likely save posts/pics for that. I don’t really “get” the influencer stuff - but there’s that too I suppose.
I personally made a concentrated effort to simply enjoy CS this year rather than trying to photo-document every single second for myself.  Makes a big difference when you just soak up the experience.  
It really was a great time.  Looking forward to next year!  Kudos to Don and the KI team.  The hard work shows!

We had a great time. It was great to hang out and enjoy CS with you. Can’t wait to do it again. Maybe next year the race can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Having been around KIC for almost 19 years I have seen a bunch of stuff here & throughout many sites.

KIC It really is an extremely pleasant & knowledgeable fan base.  Members like: Shaggy, Terpy (his posts still make us smarter even today), BoddaH1994, Silver2005, flightoffear1996 and numerous others that I can't think of right now have contributed much in the past & some still contribute today.   Yes, there are differing opinions but if everyone thought the same way it would be boring (there is another site that is like this that anyone can Review).

As disco2000 mentioned, enthusiast sites on FB are incredibly annoying:

"Is the park busy?"

"What is the weather like in July?"

"Will this ride be running next month?"

"Why isn't this ride running?"

"Why is traffic backed up on the causeway?"

...the nauseating list goes on AND there are multiple questions DAILY for each.

I think sites like KIC are currently viewed less due to not being as easily accessible on a phone as FB, Twitter etc.  Probably an app thing.  It's not a knock on KIC at all, it just is what it is.  KIC is a fantastic free site that will get more traction moving forward as FB gets clogged with useless crap.

Now if a new coaster starts to get hinted, watch the traffic go up!

BTW- any truth to DB getting struck by lightning Saturday??  It was rumored on FB.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

Having been around KIC for almost 19 years I have seen a bunch of stuff here & throughout many sites.

KIC It really is an extremely pleasant & knowledgeable fan base.  Members like: Shaggy, Terpy (his posts still make us smarter even today), BoddaH1994, Silver2005, flightoffear1996 and numerous others that I can't think of right now have contributed much in the past & some still contribute today.   Yes, there are differing opinions but if everyone thought the same way it would be boring (there is another site that is like this that anyone can Review).

"Is the park busy?"

I think sites like KIC are currently viewed less due to not being as easily accessible on a phone as FB, Twitter etc.  Probably an app thing.  It's not a knock on KIC at all, it just is what it is.  KIC is a fantastic free site that will get more traction moving forward as FB gets clogged with useless crap.

BTW- any truth to DB getting struck by lightning Saturday??  It was rumored on FB.....

Whats wrong with fb gropus?

2 hours ago, Browntggrr said:

"Is the park busy?"

No idea on the lightning strike, but it was close-by. We were at the Grand Carousel (which had closed) and it was very, very close, but it wasn't FWAP_POW! like I imagine it would be on DB, but there was very little lag between flash and thunder.

1 hour ago, OldieButGoodie said:

No idea on the lightning strike, but it was close-by. We were at the Grand Carousel (which had closed) and it was very, very close, but it wasn't FWAP_POW! like I imagine it would be on DB, but there was very little lag between flash and thunder.

My mom and I were standing near one of the shops on International Street and I watched the lightning bolt hit the Royal Fountains. I'm surprised that it wasn't the Eiffel Tower or something else that got struck.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fun and Only said:

My mom and I were standing near one of the shops on International Street and I watched the lightning bolt hit the Royal Fountains. I'm surprised that it wasn't the Eiffel Tower or something else that got struck.

More importantly, I’m glad you and everyone else were okay!!

• Thanks 1