Article: Cedar Point to roll back starting wages from $20/hr to $15/hr

Since returning workers will keep last year's rate, it should incentivize many experienced employees to return.  Just for sake of numbers:  If they need 6500 and get 1000 VISA workers, they need 5500 domestic workers.  If 4000 employees return, with their experience, they 5000.  Then they only need to hire 1500 at $15/hr.

Interesting strategy but will likely fail in the age of social media.  Person A comes back making $20/hr as ride operator checking restraints.  Person B a new international student is hired as a ride operator for the same attraction checking restraints too and will make $15/hr for the exact same job that person A is making $20.   Once international students find out they will be making less than their colleagues for the exact same job, they won’t come to work at CP (some McDonalds are paying $15 these days).  International students also have to pay for housing that will quickly take a bite out of the smaller wage.  I would expect like last year several sudden Monday and Tuesday park closures due to staffing issues as well as no housekeeping services during stays at any of their hotels.  With the two new CP resorts opening this season, not sure how they will be adequately staffed at the lower wage for newer employees, especially with lifeguards.

Not the same industry, but a similar situation:

Hospital RN makes $26/hr.  Travel nurses are brought in to fill the gap and make much, much more.  This can cause discontent among the original staff, who become travellers, leave the profession etc.  That adds to the viscous cycle and is a small piece of the giant puzzle with our healthcare system.

However, with CP, the $20/hr are returners, with experience on their side.  New hires and internationals should realize that those with more experience get more money.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 2:50 PM, Winterfestguy said:

Interesting strategy but will likely fail in the age of social media.  Person A comes back making $20/hr as ride operator checking restraints.  Person B a new international student is hired as a ride operator for the same attraction checking restraints too and will make $15/hr for the exact same job that person A is making $20.   Once international students find out they will be making less than their colleagues for the exact same job, they won’t come to work at CP (some McDonalds are paying $15 these days).  International students also have to pay for housing that will quickly take a bite out of the smaller wage.  I would expect like last year several sudden Monday and Tuesday park closures due to staffing issues as well as no housekeeping services during stays at any of their hotels.  With the two new CP resorts opening this season, not sure how they will be adequately staffed at the lower wage for newer employees, especially with lifeguards.

Do the internationals make the same pay rate? I was under the impression they didn’t. 

10 hours ago, beastfan11 said:

Hahahahaha. Yeah, I don’t think that’s gonna fly. The White Castle up the street from me is starting new hires at $14-15/hour. It’s being advertised outside the restaurant. If Cedar Point/Fair think it’s going to work, then best of luck to ‘em. 

I love it when places proudly advertise a pay rate that’s clearly way too low in this market. The White Castle near me had “Hiring 3rd shift $12/hr after 6 months!” on their marquis. I wonder how that’s working out for them. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 10:53 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

I love it when places proudly advertise a pay rate that’s clearly way too low in this market. The White Castle near me had “Hiring 3rd shift $12/hr after 6 months!” on their marquis. I wonder how that’s working out for them. 

That reminds me of the time last year when the Burger King on 237 in Hebron was advertising that they were hiring for $10 an hour. I doubt that worked out well for them considering Amazon nearby starts at $15

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

The invasion could also impact Cedar Point getting international workers.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/russias-ukraine-invasion-impact-jersey-shore-economy-105226152.html

I've definitely seen a decent number of internationals from Russia at Cedar Point, probably Ukraine and other countries in the area as well.  So, just when we thought that side of things could get back to normal as the pandemic starts to wind down, that may not pan out after all.  Combine that with trying to go back to $15/hr from last year's $20/hr and it'll be interesting to see the level of staffing shortages that recur this year.

I have a strong feeling they will do an abrupt tail tuck soon (as they should) and raise the wage back to where it should be.

EDIT:  Actually, I think they will hold off as long as they can (regardless of whether its right to or not) and see how the increased fuel prices affects park attendance and those all important per-caps.  Of course, by the time they realize the effects will be negligible at best, it may be too late to scramble and hire at the proper wage since much of the employment pool may already be otherwise employed.

• Like 3