Subway not returning to Cedar Point in 2022

https://www.wkyc.com/article/entertainment/places/cedar-point/cedar-point-removes-subway-dining-2022-season-new-derby-dogs-food/95-255b0775-2580-498d-8255-829d4d91512a

Two points of interest:

1. I believe Cedar Fair owns the franchise that was at the park, so this is a blatant business decision on the part of Cedar Fair. Likely has nothing to do with an agreement with Subway.

2. This may be an indicator of what's to come at Kings Island. KI has two Subway locations: Coney Mall and Soak City. Soak City was typically busy, but that was because of limited dining options in the water park. Coney Mall was the first food location to close under tough staffing locations, implying that it had little comparative value to the park as a whole.

• BoddaH1994 changed the title to Subway not returning to Cedar Point in 2022

Personally, I'm glad for this. I prefer unique dining experiences to chains in parks most of the time. If I wanted Subway, Skyline, Tom + Chee, etc., I could and would just go to one.

Realistically, I know people for whom Subway is one of very few restaurants they can eat at because of allergies, and I'm not excited about this change for them. Sure, they could just as easily leave the park, get food somewhere else (packed lunch in the car, go to another location, etc.), and come back, but still. I don't know any park's allergen-sensitive menus well enough to know if this poses a problem, but brand recognition goes a long way regardless.

• Like 1

I think you need a mix of both.  Skyline and LaRosa's are your big local chains that may not be available to ever patron that walks thru the doors.  Tom & Chee is significantly smaller and my guess is that a large % of the their park regulars have never seen a tom & chee restaurant outside of the park.

Then there is Subway (for now) and Chic-fila  Both huge international chains that everyone is at least familiar with, and likely have eaten at.  These are good for the people who are picky (little kids maybe) that only want certain things, they know these brands, have had them before and won't eat anything else at the park cause they are not used to it.  They are also fairly consistent, you know what you are going to get.

Then there is the KI only restaurants, that offer their own brand of food, things you can only get while in KI and hopefully make the trip special cause you know when you go to KI, you can get xyz that you can't get anywhere else (like blue ice cream, or perhaps a particular dish at the smoke house).  There are many people with the attitude that "I can get skyline, Larosas, Subway, etc... any day of the week, this is my one day a month/year at KI, I'm going to the smoke house and getting pulled pork".  Personally, I think KI needs a few more places like these, but it makes sense to keep the other brands around as well.

• Like 6

^ Definitely agreed. Going completely in-house on restaurants, I imagine, would be a risky maneuver and one that could require a lot of prestige and customer confidence to work. Disney gets away with it by being Disney. I don't think any major seasonal park could follow suit.

• Like 1

I'm from closer to the Columbus area and had never seen Tom and Chee. We do have Skyline and LaRosa's but they aren't super common. At least all three are Cincinnati establishments.

ChikFilA seems pretty popular at the park. Though I got the nuggets one time on my meal plan and they're so small. With that said, I would take it over the awful tenders that are served at places in the park.

Subway is expendable to me because there aren't many people in the US who aren't within a quick distance of multiple Subway stores. Panda Express probably isn't popular enough to have real value to the park,. They would be better off with an original Chinese food restaurant, imo.

If Subway does in fact leave, I would honestly like to see KI get a sub sandwich stand of their own that is like subway. Maybe in an indoor dining establishment in Planet Snoopy that has been talked about here before. Chick Fil A I don't see leaving as it almost always has a line that spills out onto the midway. Skyline and Larosas I don't see leaving either as those are Cincy staples and I'm sure the park wants to continue to cater to the locals as well. Plus, I know multiple people who prefer the Larosas in the park over the ones outside the park. 

35 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

I'm from closer to the Columbus area and had never seen Tom and Chee.

They started in Cincinnati, eventually went on Shark Tank as they were looking to expand.  They had a few stores up in Southeast Michigan that didn't last very long at all.  Evidently they grew too big too fast, and allegedly with stores that were too big (read: expensive).  They fell hard and were bought out by Gold Star Chili.  So, even many who are somewhat local to KI won't necessarily be familiar with Tom+Chee compared to Chick-fil-A.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/dining/2017/10/10/tom-chee-now-owned-gold-star-chili-how-did-we-get-here/749441001/

As for me, losing Subway at Cedar Point is no big loss.  What I don't see mentioned here is that it's my understanding the Cedar Point Shores location will also be replaced with another dining option.

Cedar Point has been doing decently well in recent years with in-house food, yet somehow they built Corral a shiny new building and, at least for the first two years, served cold, hard chicken tenders, despite it being their signature item.  Hopefully they can get those figured out and also actually serve some decent burgers at Coasters this year with the renovations there...

Picky eater here (referencing @medford's post)...

If Subway at KI was replaced, I would be sad (as I like Subway- it tastes good, smells good and it's always been in the park), but I have other choices (such as LaRosa's, Tom + Chee, the cheese fries at the place across from Antique Autos, the amazing bread at Chicken Shack, Festhaus, etc.). However, I do understand that familiarity with Subway, so I vote to keep it, even if it's (seemingly) never open in Coney anymore. However, maybe close the Coney location, put something new in, and keep Subway in the water park.

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

If Subway does in fact leave, I would honestly like to see KI get a sub sandwich stand of their own that is like subway. Maybe in an indoor dining establishment in Planet Snoopy that has been talked about here before. Chick Fil A I don't see leaving as it almost always has a line that spills out onto the midway. Skyline and Larosas I don't see leaving either as those are Cincy staples and I'm sure the park wants to continue to cater to the locals as well. Plus, I know multiple people who prefer the Larosas in the park over the ones outside the park. 

Kings Island needs indoor dining like the people in Hell need ice water. Cedar Point has a done of indoor dining and we really only have Brewhouse and the Festhaus. Honorable mention to Coney BBQ but on particularly hot or cold days the patio doesn't cut it.

• Like 1

CP also replaced Chic-Fil-A with a copycat eaterie.  CFA was brought back quickly.  But KI did not follow suit with removal, copycat and replace.

For me, Subway is a tired brand and not worth a meal punch.  I think it has been 3 or 4 years since I had  Subway.

3 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

CP also replaced Chic-Fil-A with a copycat eaterie.  CFA was brought back quickly.  But KI did not follow suit with removal, copycat and replace.

For me, Subway is a tired brand and not worth a meal punch.  I think it has been 3 or 4 years since I had  Subway.

KI already has Chicken Shack, though.  CP wasn't even trying with their sad imitation.  And they're not even trying now with Corral.  The quality isn't there.

I mean, at least Subway isn't Jimmy John's?

I felt like if they are not going to put in an attraction in the Tomb Raider building, then turn it into an eating area to something like FestHaust.  With Rivertown theming to match the area.

I know a lot of people want it torn down, but it is still a huge investment just to throw away.  That said I still want something to replace it . . just saying if it going to stay, put it to good use.

6 hours ago, jsus said:

KI already has Chicken Shack, though.  CP wasn't even trying with their sad imitation.  And they're not even trying now with Corral.  The quality isn't there.

I mean, at least Subway isn't Jimmy John's?

Chicken Shack (knock off of Zaxby's) and CFA coexist peacefully.  Chicken Shack works as a knock off, the Imitation CFA at CP didn't.

But, alas, I am off topic.  The point of my post was that just because CP removes Subway doesn't mean that KI or other CF parks will.  Or maybe it does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Chicken Shack (knock off of Zaxby's) and CFA coexist peacefully.  Chicken Shack works as a knock off, the Imitation CFA at CP didn't.

But, alas, I am off topic.  The point of my post was that just because CP removes Subway doesn't mean that KI or other CF parks will.  Or maybe it does.

That they do, my point was that KI wouldn't necessarily need to replace CfA with an in-house knockoff since Chicken Shack provides a similar enough product IMO.  And, even on its bad days, is better than some of the stuff CP puts out, especially with Corral recently.

So, it depends.  If one park removes an outside brand with success, it's likely that other parks will follow.  CP tried to remove a highly popular, profitable brand in CfA and quickly realized it was a mistake before other parks followed suit.  But if CP removes Subway and finds it financially advantageous, other parks (e.g. KI) will likely do the same.  Reality is that, if you get quality produce, meats, and breads, Subway should be much easier to replace with an in-house option.  And it'd probably be tastier.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jsus said:

That they do, my point was that KI wouldn't necessarily need to replace CfA with an in-house knockoff since Chicken Shack provides a similar enough product IMO.  And, even on its bad days, is better than some of the stuff CP puts out, especially with Corral recently.

So, it depends.  If one park removes an outside brand with success, it's likely that other parks will follow.  CP tried to remove a highly popular, profitable brand in CfA and quickly realized it was a mistake before other parks followed suit.  But if CP removes Subway and finds it financially advantageous, other parks (e.g. KI) will likely do the same.  Reality is that, if you get quality produce, meats, and breads, Subway should be much easier to replace with an in-house option.  And it'd probably be tastier.

I just don’t see Subway as a big asset to the park. The brand has such a lukewarm reputation in the real world, and I stated above, it’s the first restaurant to close for staffing on the dry side. I could see them converting it to something more unique. Honestly, I’d trust Chef Major over Jared Fogul for my sub sandwich needs any day. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I just don’t see Subway as a big asset to the park. The brand has such a lukewarm reputation in the real world, and I stated above, it’s the first restaurant to close for staffing on the dry side. I could see them converting it to something more unique. Honestly, I’d trust Chef Major over Jared Fogul for my sub sandwich needs any day. 

Pretty much what I was saying.  Subway doesn't really have the brand power it used to have IMO.  And it's easy to replace.  So if CP finds it's able to make more money by replacing it (in their case, with a completely different, less healthy concept, unfortunately), KI will likely follow suit.

1 hour ago, DoomPlague said:

Is Chicken Shack supposed to be good? I ordered a sandwich but they gave me tenders instead (and it was way too crowded to get it fixed). The tenders, imo, were just as awful as Corral's.

Has it gone that far downhill the last couple years?  Used to be good...

3 hours ago, DoomPlague said:

Is Chicken Shack supposed to be good? I ordered a sandwich but they gave me tenders instead (and it was way too crowded to get it fixed). The tenders, imo, were just as awful as Corral's.

I recall it being hit or miss. I walked in there in 2019 and the lobby had the distinct smell of vomit. I haven’t been able to get over the hang up and haven’t stepped foot in there since.

I remember the chicken sandwich was good. The wraps were really good but they’re no longer on the dining plan. The tenders were ere either great or looked and tasted like burnt Chicken McNuggets, depending on how much the crew cared that day. On the other hand, I’ve always felt like the tenders at the Brewhouse were always better and more well-prepared. 

On 3/6/2022 at 4:22 PM, MDMC01 said:

I haven't had anything else on the menu, but I think that Chicken Shack's bread (Texas Toast) is amazing! As I once said, "It's like grilled cheese without the cheese!"

I will concede: the Texas toast is amazing. 

• Like 3

On 3/4/2022 at 11:36 AM, BoddaH1994 said:

Coney Mall was the first food location to close under tough staffing locations, implying that it had little comparative value to the park as a whole.

I believe this was due more to a lack of properly trained “sandwich artists.” It’s hard to get an apprenticeship these days in the cold cut arts.

3 hours ago, Gordon Bombay said:

I believe this was due more to a lack of properly trained “sandwich artists.” It’s hard to get an apprenticeship these days in the cold cut arts.

If they can get pastry shapes I’m sure they can get CCAs.