How do LSM's stop a roller coaster?

Various launches all have different ways of stopping a train if the train were to have a rollback. With L.I.M's it's easy to see the break fins on the side of the track. With hydraulic launches there are magnetic fins that retract after the vehicle launches past them. ( I am under the impression that these magnetic fins only slow the train down similar to regular magnetic breaks and need another form of breaking to completely stop the train?)

So my question is how do LSM's stop a train in a rollback. Is there a hidden mechanism that is part of the white launch pieces or does the launching mechanism act as both somehow? Also it seems like with a lot of newer Intiman's LSM launches also act as block sections. If this is the case is the method of completely stopping the train any different?

LIMs and LSMs are both types of linear motors - to put it very simply, giant electromagnetic motors.  When power is applied to them, they are used to propel the ride vehicle.  When no power is applied, they effectively act as brakes all on their own.

For example, the one rollback I've ever had was on Maverick.  Whether because of a blocking issue ahead or something else, the launch hill stopped sending us up the hill.  We came to a stop and then slowly rolled back down the hill.  At the bottom of the hill, the LSMs were holding is on so strong that the drive wheels that advance the ride vehicle to the LSMs to go up the hill, had to kick and scream backwards to pull us off the LSMs before we could launch again.  The rubber tires were slipping hard against the bottom of the train trying to drag us backwards, the LSMs were holding us in place that hard.  Once we were clear of the LSMs, and the all-clear was given, an op at the control panel at the base of the lift hit the button and off we went.

• Like 1

^ That is useful they act as their own breaks. That is interesting with the Maverick situation. Do you think that the LSM's are able to hold a train in place in a block setting or does that require the drive tires to fully stop the train. I'm curious because older Intiman's like Maverick have drive tires at the beginning of the launch while Pantheon appears to not have anything but the LSM's during the swing launch. 

On its own an LSM is unable to stop or hold a train.  An unpowered LSM acts as a trim brake by generating electricity.  Just like in permanent magnetic brakes the amount of braking force is proportional to the speed, and effectively reaches zero before the train stops.  

So what happens if a ride loses power how do you stop the train, easy, use the design of the ride.  The launch track on Pantheon is slightly inclined.  The LSM’s will slow the train to a crawl by acting as trim brakes and then gravity does the rest, with the train actually valleying.  There is always something else, drive tire, pinch brakes, or gravity.