Jump to content

Racer Repaint Progress Update


Coasterteam
 Share

Recommended Posts

We just got an update on The Racer Repaint at Kings Island for the 50th anniversary. 
I don't know about you, but this already looks AMAZING!
racer-paint-banner.jpg
BLOG POST: https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2022/march/bringing-back-original-color-scheme-on-the-racer

This is absolutely awesome to see. I know that they’re trying to celebrate their 50th anniversary but there was a lot of rides in the park that could use some paint especially racer. I am so excited to go check out the park in April.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eye appeal is everything.   Peeling faded paint gives the image of an attraction not being well maintained, even if it is.  
 

I’m happy they are painting this coaster and not giving it the Paramount  Thunder Road treatment.   TR looked horrible without paint.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just wow! So happy to see this! I cannot wait to see it in person. It'll remind me back to the days in the early 80's as a kid when Racer, The Original Bat, Beast and Demon ruled the park, (and the Flying Eagles too!).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember a few years back, that many on here said that a repaint would not be likely because of the cost of lead paint abatement.

I have no idea how much, if any, lead paint had to be removed and abated, but I do think it is remarkable that the ride has not only been repainted, but restored after the financial challenges of the last two years.  Well done, KI and CF!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I remember a few years back, that many on here said that a repaint would not be likely because of the cost of lead paint abatement.

I have no idea how much, if any, lead paint had to be removed and abated, but I do think it is remarkable that the ride has not only been repainted, but restored after the financial challenges of the last two years.  Well done, KI and CF!

Not even that, all the improvements they're making around the park! 

Beast re-track work, 1400+ more feet than Racers work in the 2020-2021 off-season! 

Multiple ride repaints; Drop Tower, BLSC, Adventure Express, FAAC, and others.

Repaving sections of the parking lot. 

Love seeing all these capital investments! 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It truly is amazing.  I have often thought it was like park enthusiasts had a checklist, and since 2016, the park has worked that check list:  Winterfest, better music on IS, paint, parking lot, GiGa, vine tunnel, food, Racer repaint (and many other surprise repaints), non ride experiences....and the list goes on.

Sure, there are many more things to go, but all of this that has been done has put the park in the best shape I have seen it since I was a child.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

It truly is amazing.  I have often thought it was like park enthusiasts had a checklist, and since 2016, the park has worked that check list:  Winterfest, better music on IS, paint, parking lot, GiGa, vine tunnel, food, Racer repaint (and many other surprise repaints), non ride experiences....and the list goes on.

Sure, there are many more things to go, but all of this that has been done has put the park in the best shape I have seen it since I was a child.

Mike Koontz did say at Coasterstock last year that he has a long list of things he wants to get done before he retires. It was when he was asked about a potential upgrade to the front entrance and he said that is on the list so all that stuff you mentioned must also have been on his list as well. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have a picture but I saw a tweet of some new sidewalk/curb replacement in what I think is around the Eiffel Tower area.  Has anyone else seen it and know where they are doing those improvements?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of the area around tower, does anyone else agree that they should someday replace the blacktop that circles around the Eiffel Tower and goes under it with nice pavers like the rest of I-street? I just don't like the blacktop imo just because I think it would make the area around tower look much better if they someday put pavers there. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Speaking of the area around tower, does anyone else agree that they should someday replace the blacktop that circles around the Eiffel Tower and goes under it with nice pavers like the rest of I-street? I just don't like the blacktop imo just because I think it would make the area around tower look much better if they someday put pavers there. 

Strange question, so the follow-up would be, does anyone actually like the asphalt?  What happened to ripping it all out?

I'd take pavers or even just concrete (preferably stamped with a neat pattern) over asphalt any day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, rlentless said:

Here's the picture from King's Island twitter account.  Am I allowed to post this?

Image

I doubt this is happening, but it would be really nice if new landscaping was added to this area behind the Eiffel Tower and the asphalt was taken out. Like others have mentioned, pavers would make this area look a million times better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jsus said:

Strange question, so the follow-up would be, does anyone actually like the asphalt?  What happened to ripping it all out?

I'd take pavers or even just concrete (preferably stamped with a neat pattern) over asphalt any day.

If I recall correctly, KD had nice pavers around their Eiffel Tower.  They also had park history slabs in the pavement, so I wondered if they repurposed their Paramount Story slabs into KD history pavers.  Would be great if KI did this!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean, @BoddaH1994, how many years now have we been asking for some work to be done on the parking lot? I'm thinking almost as long as this site has been around.

Loving the paint job for Racer and it's nice to see a lot of improvements that are being made this year. There are just so many. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KIBeast said:

I mean, @BoddaH1994, how many years now have we been asking for some work to be done on the parking lot? I'm thinking almost as long as this site has been around.

Loving the paint job for Racer and it's nice to see a lot of improvements that are being made this year. There are just so many. 

Yeah but the parking lot is like a $1.2 kajillion dollar project. I’m beyond thrilled that they are doing what they are doing with it 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/9/2022 at 5:45 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

I doubt this is happening, but it would be really nice if new landscaping was added to this area behind the Eiffel Tower and the asphalt was taken out. Like others have mentioned, pavers would make this area look a million times better.

The area around to tower and behind it is absolutely barren.   Like much of the park.   One capital investment they refuse to do is adding trees for shade.  CF seems to like keeping their customers miserable in the heat.   They don’t even fully shade their line queues. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...