Racer Repaint Progress Update

Coasterteam

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I believe the park has said numerous times Racer would never run backwards again due to CF's safety standards and it not being designed to be run backwards. 

I believe a more specific example is how they are very specific to the manufacturers directions. PTC doesn't say you can run them backwards, hence Cedar Fair will not take the option to run them backwards.

Unless PTC themselves agrees (in writing) it's still safe to operate that way, we won't ever see Racer have the chance to run backwards again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I believe the park has said numerous times Racer would never run backwards again due to CF's safety standards and it not being designed to be run backwards. 

The story from the park (Don Helbig), if I recall correctly, is that The Racer was returned forwards because of the ridership numbers and backwards had "run its course."  (If I am incorrect, please don't crucify me).

I have heard that in the other parks, the trains were returned to forwards running to bring them in line with other Cedar Fair parks.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

The story from the park (Don Helbig), if I recall correctly, is that The Racer was returned forwards because of the ridership numbers and backwards had "run its course."  (If I am incorrect, please don't crucify me).

I have heard that in the other parks, the trains were returned to forwards running to bring them in line with other Cedar Fair parks.  

You are correct along with CF wanted all their racing coaster running the same way, forward. The park could run Racer backwards again if they wanted. I look at it as the same as Winterfest. They held off many years until they felt the time was right to bring it back. I think we will will eventually see the same thing happen to The Racer, some day. 

• Like 1

That is a stunning photo! brings back so many childhood memories as a small kid when the park first opened. Just beautiful!

Thank you to the KI team that is taking so much pride in the park and its history to do all this for the 50th season...geez I feel old all the sudden...ha!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 8:12 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

You are correct along with CF wanted all their racing coaster running the same way, forward. The park could run Racer backwards again if they wanted. I look at it as the same as Winterfest. They held off many years until they felt the time was right to bring it back. I think we will will eventually see the same thing happen to The Racer, some day. 

If by “the time was right” you mean “they got a new CEO that didn’t let the inmates run the asylum” then you’d be correct. 

In the recent video released regarding the 50th anniversary, a short clip of Racer testing can be seen rather early on.
image.thumb.png.6c241a3c434ff0e1ac304bf06adcdc6b.png
While I don't see the raised front logo yet, I'm sure that's coming shortly! Don't know the exact film date here

Sorry folks. Appears to be stickers again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Oldschool75 said:

Sorry folks. Appears to be stickers again. emoji22.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is they didn't have enough time to do so, like a lot of things, and they just did this temporarily. Hopefully we see them done by April 29th. 

Beast, Gardens, some smaller stuff, Racer paint, and The Racer stickers were behind. Thankfully they still ran Racer.

I feel like a lot of the new track in combination with the new paint is still breaking in.  I felt a few bits, particularly at the bottom of drops and most of the track on the return run, felt a little raw.  All the new stuff is still adjusting to the ebb and flow of the ride just a tad.  Should be really great once everything is broken in though.

I also wish they put a little more TLC into the station and gave it new chasers lights a la Blue Streak (I see the old ones still remain).

Regardless of my nitpicks, its gorgeous in person and is definitely running at the best its had since I started riding it.  It almost does feel like you're back in 1972 with how new it looks, at least, if it wasn't for the giant blue giga coaster on the left.

• Like 1

Just now, silver2005 said:

I feel like a lot of the new track in combination with the new paint is still breaking in.  I felt a few bits, particularly at the bottom of drops and most of the track on the return run, felt a little raw.  All the new stuff is still adjusting to the ebb and flow of the ride just a tad.  Should be really great once everything is broken in though.

I also wish they put a little more TLC into the station and gave it new chasers lights a la Blue Streak (I see the old ones still remain).

Regardless of my nitpicks, its gorgeous in person and is definitely running at the best its had since I started riding it. 

I don’t think the return run on The Racer was ever re-tracked. Only the outward run and the turnarounds have been recently re-tracked.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

Dumb question but... Is one side of the queue house still unused? 

Unfortunately.  I thought they may have addressed it in the off season in addition to touching up the rest of the queue and station a bit.  The improvements are mostly on the track.

• Sad 1