Carowinds 2023 Plans Leaked

Park Fans just released leaked blueprints for a new aviation themed area being added to Carowinds in 2023. This follows a survey Carowinds sent out in early 2020 asking guests if they would prefer a new aviation area or an arts themed area. Also, earlier this year, Carowinds filed a permit for modifications to the existing Crossroads area of the park that this area is replacing. This area seems like it will be very nice once it opens at it will likely be as well themed as Blue Ridge Junction at Carowinds and Jungle X-Pedition at Kings Dominion. I love when parks completely transform areas of a park with all-new theming, and I hope Kings Island takes notes with Planet Snoopy, Soak City, and especially, Action Zone. Hopefully recent repainted in Planet Snoopy and Action Zone do not limit this possibility. Area 72 is nice, but it is not on the level of Blue Ridge Junction or Jungle X-Pedition, and a big reason why is because it is much smaller. What are your thoughts on Carowinds’ 2023 plans for their new aviation area? (I think an aviation area would really work at Kings Island with Dayton and its history in flight nearby).

Link to Area Plans:

Link to Permit:

1 hour ago, CoastersRZ said:

If true that is good for Carowinds.  Although that will be their second flat ride package that they have added recently.  Where is Kings Island`s flat ride package?  They could certainly use some new flat rides. 

The only area of the park that currently has openings for flat rides is that one area behind the Eiffel Tower. I don’t know if flat rides is the answer, but that walkway behind the Eiffel Tower is perhaps the worst looking area in the park.

I also hope this is only phase one of that area. I think they could connect the pathway to the other side of Afterburn where Dinosaurs Alive was and add a new coaster there themed around the new area. I think a B&M launched wing like Thunderbird would be a great fit at Carowinds. 

2 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

(I think an aviation area would really work at Kings Island with Dayton and its history in flight nearby).

We sorta already have that with Area 72. I do think they should expand off of Area 72 and add some of these style flats (like an air race and nebula). 

Definitely going to be interesting to see what they do in that area. I am glad I got to ride Plants vs Zombies last year (I tried in 2019 but it was always closed when I went by it), and was already planning to return to Carowinds for their 50th anniversary season next year anyway. If this actually happens I'll definitely have to make good on that (and maybe swing back by a couple parks in VA in a repeat of my 2019 trip to hit up Pantheon and Zumbili)

• 4 months later...
29 minutes ago, DiamondbackFan said:

As expected:

Yep, even the passengers theme of the video was hinting at the area around Afterburn.

I am also really surprised watching this to see that they are removing Southern Star, It was really popular, it is sad to see it go.

• Like 1

I'm glad I've been able to ride all of those. Got the YoYo and Southern Star credits in 2019 and managed to get Plants Vs Zombies last year. Sad to see them go (especially as that leaves Kings Dominion with one of the only remaining inverted ship rides that I'm aware of), but will be nice to see that area get some attention.

• Like 1