Jump to content

Mystic Timbers Full Truck Radio Loop


KIghostguy
 Share

Recommended Posts

The full loop had never been published before, so I recorded it on New Year's Eve, but just got around to actually posting it on YouTube. A wonderful storytelling detail that's easy to overlook. Those who read the book know that the voice of the "radio host" is the former Corporate Director of Cedar Fair Planning and Design, Greg Crane! 

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wonderful detail. Wish they could communicate more clearly the “story” of the ride. The queue, while overall well designed, suffers from looking WAY to new. I never understood why all the mulch and minimal planting when they could basically over planted and let “weeds” take over the landscaping. The wood needed to be aged WAY more and the mishmash of “abandoned in the 80s” yet modern security patrolling it is odd. The “security camera” coverage makes it NOT seem abandoned. I think that tv (which is hard to even see) isn’t even needed and the “radio communication” works best when it sounds like it’s coming from urban explorers on the property. It seems like there are about 3 stories all going on and even the “monster” could be more effective if we never really saw so fully what it was. Projection mapping of vines advancing in the first part of the brake run would’ve helped and WAY more growth all over the entrance to the shed (instead of faded hobby lobby plastic ivy) would make the ending stronger. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Wonderful detail. Wish they could communicate more clearly the “story” of the ride. The queue, while overall well designed, suffers from looking WAY to new. I never understood why all the mulch and minimal planting when they could basically over planted and let “weeds” take over the landscaping. The wood needed to be aged WAY more and the mishmash of “abandoned in the 80s” yet modern security patrolling it is odd. The “security camera” coverage makes it NOT seem abandoned. I think that tv (which is hard to even see) isn’t even needed and the “radio communication” works best when it sounds like it’s coming from urban explorers on the property. It seems like there are about 3 stories all going on and even the “monster” could be more effective if we never really saw so fully what it was. Projection mapping of vines advancing in the first part of the brake run would’ve helped and WAY more growth all over the entrance to the shed (instead of faded hobby lobby plastic ivy) would make the ending stronger. 

If I recall from past conversations about the MT story line, the security footage and lift hill audio is from "current" time, not from when the MVLCo was abandoned.  The greeter position is a current day security checkpoint to keep people out, but some urbex folks have gotten in and security is going thru the woods looking for them.  The urbexers either see security or the mystic item, find an old truck, and jump in (this is the audio that plays when a train is dispatched).  Then the audio plays on the lift hill giving them a final warning to leave and if they dont, whatever they do, don't go in the shed!

I could be wrong about this, but this is my understanding.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Wonderful detail. Wish they could communicate more clearly the “story” of the ride. The queue, while overall well designed, suffers from looking WAY to new. 

The "abandoned" old truck having steady-burning bright blue-white LED headlights has always struck me as odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Wonderful detail. Wish they could communicate more clearly the “story” of the ride. The queue, while overall well designed, suffers from looking WAY to new. I never understood why all the mulch and minimal planting when they could basically over planted and let “weeds” take over the landscaping. 

The plan was to have stamped concrete in the queue to make it appear disheveled and abandoned; unfortunately it was cut. Mystic Timbers was fortunate in that not a lot was cut overall. Interestingly, there were lots of changes to the storyline and Shed as they were developed, but not a whole lot of theming was actually cut. The transfer section of the Shed actually had more theming added to it than what was originally planned. The original plan was for that section to just be an empty room, until Mike Koontz became the GM.

7 hours ago, KIEagle33 said:

Really nice quality. Maybe do an Orion full audio loop next??

That's already on YouTube! 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

If I recall from past conversations about the MT story line, the security footage and lift hill audio is from "current" time, not from when the MVLCo was abandoned.  The greeter position is a current day security checkpoint to keep people out, but some urbex folks have gotten in and security is going thru the woods looking for them.  The urbexers either see security or the mystic item, find an old truck, and jump in (this is the audio that plays when a train is dispatched).  Then the audio plays on the lift hill giving them a final warning to leave and if they dont, whatever they do, don't go in the shed!

I could be wrong about this, but this is my understanding.

 

That’s the problem-1) it’s too convoluted to quickly communicate through visual clues and 2) the visual clues are all wrong. Is it a new building? Old building? The lights on the posts are weathered in the front of the queue, shiny and new in back. It was a nice effort, but it’s all over the place. And that’s BEFORE the Cracker Barrel lush Christmas decorations and a random black glitter disco Christmas tree show up! LOL. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

That’s the problem-1) it’s too convoluted to quickly communicate through visual clues and 2) the visual clues are all wrong. Is it a new building? Old building? The lights on the posts are weathered in the front of the queue, shiny and new in back. It was a nice effort, but it’s all over the place. And that’s BEFORE the Cracker Barrel lush Christmas decorations and a random black glitter disco Christmas tree show up! LOL. 

I appreciate your insights as a show professional.  It gives me a great perspective of that aspect.  But the vast majority of folks don't dissect the story as much as I did, and even less than you do ;)  I give the park an A for effort and a B+ for results for the majority of guests.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I appreciate your insights as a show professional.  It gives me a great perspective of that aspect.  But the vast majority of folks don't dissect the story as much as I did, and even less than you do ;)  I give the park an A for effort and a B+ for results for the majority of guests.

Oh, I agree. They did do a solid B in the eyes of the general public. Folks like us are a more select breed that can appreciate what is there while still seeing the little things that could’ve been done to make it much stronger. It’s a fun game, but I don’t let it ruin my days there. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...