Kings Island 2022 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

On 4/30/2022 at 10:54 AM, Timchat2 said:

That's been our experience with many Sweet Spot items. They tend to have a great "curb appeal" in that items look really rich and tasty but most of the time the product itself is often dry and lacking flavor. We're still excited to try more of the Golden Celebration offerings though.

Before this year that was definitely the case.  I assumed it was because they were shipped in.  The brownies the last few years had a plastic taste.   One of the easiest things to make at home and they were horrible. 

What are they making in house this year?   Is the quality any better. 

I think one of the issues is leaving them  unwrapped in the display case.  That dries out food.    If they were wrapped or at least covered they would be better 

Tried two things over the weekend: Eiffel Tower pretzel (French Corner) and Banshee Scream dog (Jukebox). 
BF48F2A0-F24D-4A06-A1CB-5CB68B317FBF.jpeg

It looked more like an uppercase “A” than the Eiffel Tower but it was soft and had a buttery taste. I’ll be getting this one again. 
CB3E0895-DD2B-447E-AA80-7F833A8E08AE.jpeg

The Banshee Scream Dog wasn’t much to look at, but the taste was very good! It’s probably the first hotdog that I’d recommend. Haha

65119479-511C-47BC-BC84-FC8852F18597.jpeg
These aren’t on the 50th list, but they came from the Sweet Spot. They are chocolate covered Oreos with gold coloring. I’ve tried several sweets for the 50th and this is the only one that I’d do again. The others were very good, but I’m not really into sweets. This had a very subtle taste that I really enjoyed!

• Like 2

If you get the Flight Commander fries, ask for the pico on the side if you want it.    It’s watery and they don’t tend to drain in properly when adding to the fries.    It will make a puddle of water in the basket. 

The green tomatoes were ice cold and not good. Which seems to be the smokehouse tradition in those warming plates (instead of steam tables) 

Not really KI F/B related, but I'm at Universal right now and I like the way they do their souvenir cup system. They basically have a chip in the bottom of the cups and they have freestyle stands throughout the park and they mostly pretty much work except several was out of ice lol. Anyways, if you have the cup you can basically walk up to the freestyle stand and set your cup on a sensor and if your cup scans and is valid then it activates the freestyle stand and fill it. The freestyle stands only work if your cup is valid so you can't just walk up with those water cups and fill it with soda. Only the water works without a valid cup. Honestly I think it would be cool if KI and even CF could try this idea out with the souvenir cups and find a way to do something similar for the all day/season pass paper cup system. I think it would help crack down on people stealing soda with those water cups. Just some thoughts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoomPlague said:

I doubt they are that concerned about people stealing soda with those tiny water cups, tbh

It would maybe save them a dollar all year haha that syrup is so cheap.  That said, I like the idea simply to help the flow of lines for drinks, given that the customers didn't struggle to figure out how to scan.

3 hours ago, SOBwasaSOB said:

It would maybe save them a dollar all year haha that syrup is so cheap.  That said, I like the idea simply to help the flow of lines for drinks, given that the customers didn't struggle to figure out how to scan.

There is still the issue of people going up and taking 2 minutes just to decide what they want.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

Mini Lemon Meringue Pie from The Sweet Spot.  Thought it was quite tasty.

23F5C0EE-030F-4F4C-BB3C-6E6DEF9D9FF3.jpeg

2594BF16-2CE2-42B4-AC96-450608D976B2.jpeg

I think they are finding their stride there. Overall I feel the food is better all around once the park gets busier in that they have higher turn over-have to refresh more often, and things are generally better quality as they haven’t sat around. I don’t think they are great early in the season at judging qty and tend to sit on items too long. 

If you are going to “re-date” items to get a little more shelf life-you MIGHT want to do a better job of covering it up. Not sure if these were made 6/19, 6/20,6/22, thawed 6/23  the stickers were stacked  tasted fine, but the whole thing looks sketchy  

784EADBE-EB19-4C4F-9889-C49619E64477.jpegS s

• Like 1

The Decade-ent Cupcakes at Sweet Spot have been a fun little detail of the Golden Celebration. So far we've had tie-dye for the 70s, pastels for the 90s and then last week's blue velvet "denim" for the 2000s.

But we're not sure what this week's cupcake represents about the 2010s and the associates at Sweet Spot didn't know either. It is a chocolate cupcake with a black and white swirl of icing and pink glittery sprinkles. Any ideas?

• Like 1

A couple things from my trip today:

Tried The Beast Burger at Jukebox diner and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Jukebox also seems to have some of the better fries in the park, imo. Awhile back I had Chicken Shack which now has extraordinarily bland fries (is there a reason sidewinder fries disappeared from the park?)

Later I tried the italian meat croix sandwich from the French corner. I wanted something light and the heat made a cold meal sound more appealing. The sandwich was pretty good, albeit small. Despite some other reviews, I went for the the potato salad and I thought it was okay. It was like having a really light, healthier potato salad.

Also, I noticed they started offering to "upgrade" my drink plan to a bottle most of the time I use it. Perhaps trying to relieve their cup shortage issue?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DoomPlague said:

A couple things from my trip today:

Tried The Beast Burger at Jukebox diner and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Jukebox also seems to have some of the better fries in the park, imo. Awhile back I had Chicken Shack which now has extraordinarily bland fries (is there a reason sidewinder fries disappeared from the park?)

Later I tried the italian meat croix sandwich from the French corner. I wanted something light and the heat made a cold meal sound more appealing. The sandwich was pretty good, albeit small. Despite some other reviews, I went for the the potato salad and I thought it was okay. It was like having a really light, healthier potato salad.

Also, I noticed they started offering to "upgrade" my drink plan to a bottle most of the time I use it. Perhaps trying to relieve their cup shortage issue?

I agree that Jukebox fries are the best. I wish they were an option at the Brewhouse. I’d kill for a Pub Burger, but the thought of the tater tots makes me nauseous by this point in the season. I guess we can’t ask for diversity in the food if we complain about a location having a unique item!