Kings Island 2022 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

I agree that Jukebox fries are the best. I wish they were an option at the Brewhouse. I’d kill for a Pub Burger, but the thought of the tater tots makes me nauseous by this point in the season. I guess we can’t ask for diversity in the food if we complain about a location having a unique item! 

Potato works fries are pretty legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Also, I noticed they started offering to "upgrade" my drink plan to a bottle most of the time I use it. Perhaps trying to relieve their cup shortage issue?

This isn’t just for you with a cup plan. I don’t have a drink plan and I get asked every meal of I want to add drink plan. I think they are just really pushing associates to ask/offer the drink plan.

2 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

This isn’t just for you with a cup plan. I don’t have a drink plan and I get asked every meal of I want to add drink plan. I think they are just really pushing associates to ask/offer the drink plan.

Well they were offering a "free upgrade," so they aren't actually making any money on those of us with an existing drink plan.

17 hours ago, DoomPlague said:

Well they were offering a "free upgrade," so they aren't actually making any money on those of us with an existing drink plan.

Not sure if they have a plan for moving people to the refillable, but I imagine that they are told to upsell (Oh, you’re buying an $8 drink? For $30 you can drink all season!) but perhaps that not widely understood, especially when it would make little sense to upgrade from paper cups to refillable unless you have a specific situation. At Cedar Point and KD it’s far worse. Some kid who often doesn’t speak English as a first language trying to sell you a drink plan you already have. Meanwhile there are 10 people in line behind you. 

The sentiment is good, but many are fishing from the wrong pond.

• Like 1

Not sure if they have a plan for moving people to the refillable, but I imagine that they are told to upsell (Oh, you’re buying an $8 drink? For $30 you can drink all season!) but perhaps that not widely understood, especially when it would make little sense to upgrade from paper cups to refillable unless you have a specific situation. At Cedar Point and KD it’s far worse. Some kid who often doesn’t speak English as a first language trying to sell you a drink plan you already have. Meanwhile there are 10 people in line behind you. 

The sentiment is good, but many are fishing from the wrong pond.

This.

It does appear to be blanket push across the board. Perhaps with teens or international workers it’s just easier to ask them to push it to everyone.

• Sad 1

3c09f5ad1ee6faf5cf96eedf4983d114.jpg
I’ve seen these signs at both smokehouses and Planet Snoopy grill.

I appreciate that they are offering gf buns, although I wish they would update the menu boards at these locations to indicate which meat options are gluten free to put on the bun.

(At one point smokehouse had allergen info on the signs… but they removed those :( )

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 9:41 PM, chuck norris said:

3c09f5ad1ee6faf5cf96eedf4983d114.jpg
I’ve seen these signs at both smokehouses and Planet Snoopy grill.

I appreciate that they are offering gf buns, although I wish they would update the menu boards at these locations to indicate which meat options are gluten free to put on the bun.

(At one point smokehouse had allergen info on the signs… but they removed those :( )

Please note that this is no guarantee of preventative measures against cross contamination. If you are gluten free for fun then this is a good solution. If you have a diagnosed medical condition then it’s worth asking questions. 

Please note that the above statement is not a referendum on KI’s gluten free options. This is true for nearly every restaurant.  

Please note that this is no guarantee of preventative measures against cross contamination. If you are gluten free for fun then this is a good solution. If you have a diagnosed medical condition then it’s worth asking questions. 

Please note that the above statement is not a referendum on KI’s gluten free options. This is true for nearly every restaurant.  

Precisely why I’d like to see more allergy information made available at the park.

542a8219d70e5461d00d66f97454afa1.jpg
Photo of screamin demon at chicken shack. 2086e3a9b3f5e5d8b1b26884279cf36b.jpg
Photo of wings received.

Me: I thought these had green onions on them.
Employee: they don’t
Me: that sign looks like they do?

The wings were good… sauce had some heat but wasn’t overpowering. Nice change from normal.
Not sure where the coconut was (didn’t taste it in the sauce) and don’t understand why product photo ingredients wouldn’t match the actual item… but I’d get it again.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, chuck norris said:

542a8219d70e5461d00d66f97454afa1.jpg
Photo of screamin demon at chicken shack. 2086e3a9b3f5e5d8b1b26884279cf36b.jpg
Photo of wings received.

Me: I thought these had green onions on them.
Me: that sign looks like they do?

The wings were good… sauce had some heat but wasn’t overpowering. Nice change from normal.
Not sure where the coconut was (didn’t taste it in the sauce) and don’t understand why product photo ingredients wouldn’t match the actual item… but I’d get it again.

Definitely does not look like it matches the photo. The green onions should be on every plate like presented.

• Like 2

So are you saying it should have came with a wing hanging off the plate too LOL?

Should it have been served on a gold tray versus a basket with paper wrapping in it?

Not that it makes it right, but this has been going on for YEARS in the food industry...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

https://www.businessinsider.com/fast-food-advertisements-vs-reality-2013-12#the-big-mac-looks-a-little-deflated-7

https://www.boredpanda.com/fast-food-ads-vs-reality/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

And has even resulted in lawsuits....

https://www.fooddive.com/news/false-advertising-lawsuits-are-ramping-up-in-food-and-beverage/604615/

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/burger-king-false-advertising-lawsuit-whopper-burgers-rcna22916

• Like 1

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

So are you saying it should have came with a wing hanging off the plate too LOL?

Should it have been served on a gold tray versus a basket with paper wrapping in it?

Not that it makes it right, but this has been going on for YEARS in the food industry...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

https://www.businessinsider.com/fast-food-advertisements-vs-reality-2013-12#the-big-mac-looks-a-little-deflated-7

https://www.boredpanda.com/fast-food-ads-vs-reality/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

https://www.fooddive.com/news/false-advertising-lawsuits-are-ramping-up-in-food-and-beverage/604615/

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/burger-king-false-advertising-lawsuit-whopper-burgers-rcna22916

Not saying the artful “wing off the plate” but yea, it should come on the gold plate. They had those early in the season at sweet spot. Maybe they are out, but that’s the kind of thing that costs just a little more, but does elevate the experience. So yes, keep the sauce in a condiment bottle, squirt it on the gold paper plate, put the wings on there and toss some darn onions on it. If they are going to do this stuff, they need to commit to it. 

• Like 1

Yep lol.  They need to find that happy medium between advertising and reality.  Remember the Eiffel Tower 50th snack that looked anything but what the ad showed lol.

And I agree and mentioned it in the earnings thread - it is the little things like providing your wings in some resemblence of the sign out front that will keep you coming back for that item.

I think KI is probably leading the chain showing how attention to the little things can have a positive impact on guest experience, return visits, and per cap spending.

• Like 2

image.jpeg.3e02997b6c27368692c88c6fcfa6d3d2.jpeg

image.jpeg.9005cc3b5627afdcd9aa31f6108bb3f4.jpeg

Even in these examples, the actual item at least includes all of the ingredients shown in the photo.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Yep lol.  They need to find that happy medium between advertising and reality.  Remember the Eiffel Tower 50th snack that looked anything but what the ad showed lol.

And I agree and mentioned it in the earnings thread - it is the little things like providing your wings in some resemblence of the sign out front that will keep you coming back for that item.

I think KI is probably leading the chain showing how attention to the little things can have a positive impact on guest experience, return visits, and per cap spending.

The reason the portions are what they are advertised to be has 110% to do with Chef Major. I personally saw him coaching the team at the Mac place during Haunt one time demonstrating what the portions should look like, which I'd describe as heaping. Being a chef involves a love for food and seeing it as an art. Other senior leaders in that department (anywhere - not just at KI) are probably far more concerned with counting beans and saving money than a quality product. 

• Like 2

Oh I am sure we can find examples where presentation of food in ads include items that aren't part of what you actually  purchase lol.

Heck most of the pictures for the 50th celebration food items have presentation items that you don't get for one reason or another.  Maybe a supplier issue or the artwork to present day had changes, etc.  Or maybe it truly is there for presentation and balance of colors for the ad.

Or even the pictures for regular food items.  The french fries at Juke Box are smooth whereas the picture they are crinkle fries and the burger includes long pickles whereas you get round, does that mean materially it is different?  Should one send it back for misrepresentation?

I'm being devil's advocate here lol as rarely will you get exactly as the ad shows.

And don't get me wrong as I think they do and are paying attention to the little details.  But greenery in a food presentation I usually don't get worked up about, maybe because I am used to the presentation game being used. 

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2022/may/foodie-guide-to-the-50th-anniversary-celebration-eats-and-treats

• Like 3

On 7/9/2022 at 5:24 PM, disco2000 said:

I’d say they are at least tied with Knotts, but that park is in a totally different world. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Oh I am sure we can find examples where presentation of food in ads include items that aren't part of what you actually  purchase lol.

Heck most of the pictures for the 50th celebration food items have presentation items that you don't get for one reason or another.  Maybe a supplier issue or the artwork to present day had changes, etc.  Or maybe it truly is there for presentation and balance of colors for the ad.

Or even the pictures for regular food items.  The french fries at Juke Box are smooth whereas the picture they are crinkle fries and the burger includes long pickles whereas you get round, does that mean materially it is different?  Should one send it back for misrepresentation?

I'm being devil's advocate here lol as rarely will you get exactly as the ad shows.

And don't get me wrong as I think they do and are paying attention to the little details.  But greenery in a food presentation I usually don't get worked up about, maybe because I am used to the presentation game being used. 

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2022/may/foodie-guide-to-the-50th-anniversary-celebration-eats-and-treats

Raw green onions sprinkled on  wings aren’t really just “greenery” like a sprig of parsley. It’s more of a topping or ingredient I was impressed they kept the micro greens thing going all through Carnivale last year. 

Went with the Dinosaurs Alive turkey wing tonight.  The wing tip was a bit tough, but the rest was really good.  Be warned, the only way to eat this bad boy is to dig in with both hands.  The sauce was good, a little spice.  Also, the chips are very similar in flavor to the Afterburner Chips from Meteor Canteen.

E42D80BE-56E4-41A2-8514-75E628AE328B.jpeg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Fantastic news.  Can't wait to try.  Kudos to the Culinary Team.  KI Foodies are the luckiest Foodies in the world :)

On 7/12/2022 at 9:12 PM, chad_1138 said:

Went with the Dinosaurs Alive turkey wing tonight.  The wing tip was a bit tough, but the rest was really good.  Be warned, the only way to eat this bad boy is to dig in with both hands.  The sauce was good, a little spice.  Also, the chips are very similar in flavor to the Afterburner Chips from Meteor Canteen.

E42D80BE-56E4-41A2-8514-75E628AE328B.jpeg

I had it to.  Fantastic.  

Banshee Screamin Weenie is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.  I would love to be able to get a bowl of the chili on it's own.  Maybe during Winterfest ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

Nice to see. I noticed the food truck in Soak City today and wasn't sure why it was there. Thanks for posting!

1 hour ago, robintodd said:

Banshee Screamin Weenie is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.  I would love to be able to get a bowl of the chili on it's own.  Maybe during Winterfest ;)

We must have very different tastes, friend.  Mine was a soggy, gross mess.  It looked and sounded great on the picture but the reality was very disappointing, especially for the price.  I am glad that you enjoy it though!  Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SOBwasaSOB said:

We must have very different tastes, friend.  Mine was a soggy, gross mess.  It looked and sounded great on the picture but the reality was very disappointing, especially for the price.  I am glad that you enjoy it though!  Different strokes for different folks.

I've had it about 4 times now and it's been consistently non-soggy.  I always take a knife and fork just in case.  Another favorite of mine is the Big Dog at Brewhouse and the last 2 I've had there have been soggy to the point of knife and forking it.

• Like 2

Firehawk Fries at Meteor Canteen. It’s their thick chips / thin fries (somewhere in between) covered with sausage and fajitas and then lathered with beer cheese. Only $7-something with the gold pass discount. 

2298C0B9-3EE2-479F-8609-BC72445B675B.jpeg

I know the photo makes it look like fries covered in gravy but it was actually very good. 

• Like 2