Opening Day Tips and Tricks . . what are your plans?

rlentless

What are some of your best tips and tricks for Opening Day?  Traditionally it has large crowds and you can easily miss out on you favorites . . food and rides.  Or are you like me, I just turn left and start circling the park with no plan.

Best sequence and times to beat the crowds for rides?

Best times and locations to find places to eat?

Shows??

I never really go on opening Day because the crowds are virtually impossible to evade. However on a normal day go right when the park opens, at least that's what I do and it usually works. I never eat at the park since the food prices can be outrageous at some places. Hope I provided some advice.

Best to get there right at opening (or 30 minutes earlier).  Start off to the right and make the loop as most people tend to go to the left.

Not sure what shows will be available during the "preview" weekends.  Shows usually don't start up until main season (Memorial day and after). 

As far as food, Can't go wrong with Brewhouse or Coney BBQ.  I would suggest around 11 and then 4 for the afternoon.

Finally remember, you're going on opening day/weekend.  Nothing will have a chance to start running smoothly so expect hicups in rides and food.  These are seasonal employees and it usually takes them through the weekend openings to get into their stride.  Be patient and understand that they are doing the best they can.  I've always had a great experience opening day.  They really do a great job with the staff always being freindly and smiling.  Make sure to give it right back to them, they deserve it! :)

• Like 2

My game plan for tomorrow: 

1. Show up late and leave early 

2. Admire the myriad of general park improvements 

3. Have a beer

4. Get a lap or two in on The Racer, Train, and Adventure Express

5. Repeat step 3 

6. Have a nice lunch 

7. Get home to watch The Reds lose

• Like 3

I usually go to Opening Day pretty much just to end the off-season wait.  I mostly cruise around with KICers and randomly do stuff with the shortest wait available.  I have a Platinum Pass to go back and do better ride sessions.  I'm bringing my good camera on Saturday for a bit of photography.

If you want good ride sessions early, go on Fridays in May or the first week in June.

I always admire that I'm back in the park for the first time in 4 months, then move along to the lower capacity attractions first (Invertigo, Flight of Fear), then move on from there around the park, simply riding what I'm able to find a decent wait for during the packed crowds. I'd agree with the statement that you should be as kind and courteous as possible to the kind staff, as it will be their first major weekend in a while. Usually the middle of the day comes to myself marathoning Adventure Express, Racer and Bat as they have good capacity but less of a line (well at least two of those three have great capacity). Then unusually get in line by the end of the day for a Beast night ride, but probably gonna have to change that up this year instead and resort to an Orion night right instead.   

My advice is this: pick which rides you wish to ride beforehand and make sure to get those done (if possible). And if last year is any indication, Opening Day will be busy. If you have no preference on ride choice or order, head to Flight of Fear and Orion first and then work your way either further back (toward Beast) or towards the front of the park.

And remember to have fun! :D

Also, question for my knowledge... is it generally crowded the second (operating) Saturday in April? That is my planned "Opening Day" as I will not be attending this weekend.

• Like 2

Honestly I'm getting there pretty early, getting straight back to Banshee (see how out of the loop I am?) or Racer and probably going to hop around to some major coasters throughout the day. I do not plan on buying anything till at least 30 minutes before I'm actually leaving. My best suggestion is get there early, ride early, and get out when you want. It's going to get really busy, really quick so be prepared.

1 hour ago, BB1 said:

Honestly I'm getting there pretty early, getting straight back to Beast or Racer and probably going to hop around to some major coasters throughout the day. I do not plan on buying anything till at least 30 minutes before I'm actually leaving. My best suggestion is get there early, ride early, and get out when you want. It's going to get really busy, really quick so be prepared.

Heads up The Beast will not be running.

13 minutes ago, Snowball said:

Heads up The Beast will not be running.

If this doesn't show how out of the loop I am on the happenings at KI, this is it! I have purposefully not checked out anything for weeks just to be surprised at KI. (It feels really good not to be privy to information before Opening Day for once!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BB1 said:

Honestly I'm getting there pretty early, getting straight back to Banshee (see how out of the loop I am?) or Racer and probably going to hop around to some major coasters throughout the day. I do not plan on buying anything till at least 30 minutes before I'm actually leaving. My best suggestion is get there early, ride early, and get out when you want. It's going to get really busy, really quick so be prepared.

As a gold pass holder, I always check out which rides have early access. From opening day until sometime in May you can get to the park 30 minutes before opening to ride Banshee if you have a pass. Banshee is currently the only coaster available for early access, but in May you can get on Orion and Racer early.  I personally will be getting in the early line for Banshee and then once we get a ride in we will be standing near Orion to get in line as soon as it opens. 

I don’t know if they’re working at at all, now. They didn’t scan my pass to get in about 45 minutes ago. 

This morning they just stopped trying to scan and let people in by just showing your card.
All the dining places still worked even though we hadn’t officially scanned in.
The two times we got in line for food (fest haus la Rosa and hanks burrito shack) the POS terminals went offline and we just had to wait for them to come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk