Kings Island 2022 General Discussions

IndyGuy4KI

To whoever the gentleman in the glasses with the Cedar Point straps is that was waiting in line for The Beast, you're my hero.  Early in the day I had kids sprinting past me in line and I was angry at myself for not reacting quick enough to call out the line jumpers.  You, however, were ready.  4 men tried to cut all the way to the front of The Beast and you confronted them.  They told you to F off and you guaranteed them you would make sure they did not get on the ride.  Sure enough, as they were boarding the ride security came and pulled them out.  You did us park goers proud and so did security.  I stopped into guest services to let them know how swift and professional security was.

• Like 11

51 minutes ago, SOBwasaSOB said:

They told you to F off and you guaranteed them you would make sure they did not get on the ride.  Sure enough, as they were boarding the ride security came and pulled them out.  You did us park goers proud and so did security.  I stopped into guest services to let them know how swift and professional security was.

The park has really upped their game on line-jumpers, while confrontation can lead to unneeded violence it can help detour some people from considering even line-jumping. Kids especially seem to think nobody will care if they cut, but it adds up. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Anyone know what happened to The Beast at around 5:30 this afternoon? Me and a friend were going to ride, but we saw someone in a stretcher at the exit. I should ask If the lady is alright too? 

I had no idea about the stretcher. But the ride was down the rest of the day. I hope it was nothing too serious and the stretcher was more precautionary.

• Like 1

A few thoughts after a long, great day at KI.

• People do seem to be treating The Beast as the star attraction again. Area 72 has seemed less busy than last year, possibly as a result and because Orion is now in its 3rd season.
  • Orion ride ops haven't been as strict about restraints at least for me. I've been able to get a lot of airtime on it unlike last year.
  • Seems like they are better at keeping the Freestyle machines stocked. Last year, even on light days, the machines would be out of non-diet flavor when I went in the evening.
  • I was stapled hard on an early ride on MT but overheard a little kid behind me say "Please don't staple me!" so I chuckled
  • The new Racer queue config feels so weird
  • Action Zone really needs a drink stand
  • Staff has been outstanding so far this season
  • Even the very back seat of The Beast is decently smooth, but those trims hit so hard. A ride op told me that they got to ride it before opening without all the trims in place.
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

I had no idea about the stretcher. But the ride was down the rest of the day. I hope it was nothing too serious and the stretcher was more precautionary.

@Shawn Meyer
From what I heard, a women came back into the station unconscious.

they took a precaution to inspect the ride and close it early, we can expect it to re-open tomorrow given no issues are found (was likely a pre-existing condition, so I presume it wasn’t really the rides direct fault)

I may be wrong, but whatever it is hope the women is doing alright. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Finally! After a few seasons of the control boxes for the trees in coney just laying in the mulch they have covered them all with fake rocks. Now if there was just something planted around them. 

A6E35E77-504D-4537-B01F-E2A07F23C446.jpeg

Looks really good now! It makes the area look a lot better!

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

Finally! After a few seasons of the control boxes for the trees in coney just laying in the mulch they have covered them all with fake rocks. Now if there was just something planted around them. 

A6E35E77-504D-4537-B01F-E2A07F23C446.jpeg

Now, if they would cover the wires up with mulch consistently.  

48 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Now, if they would cover the wires up with mulch consistently.  

Amen!! Drives me crazy. Same around the tower. Weedy mulch is not hiding things. My hope is that they are leaving things accessible until all tech is done. They have a whole week to get this looking better before 28th

image.jpg

• Like 2

Honestly I’m being SUPER picky just because the park looks better than it has in YEARS. So now they are showing they can do it. We just need to see the love continue. LOVE yhh my r music today BTW. Feels like anniversary night. Jazzy and not all pop. 

• Like 1

I think the park has never looked better in all the adult years I have been going as it does now.  I love the miniature sunflowers they have put in.  The new trees planted on the train route.  The 50th flower logo by the carousel.  The big potted plants.  The grassy area in front of Adventure Express (as much as I hate the loss of the trees, it does look so much better now than before).  

I went on passholder preview day and was not fond of the "elevator music" on IS, but now it has grown on me.  I saw people of varying ages moving to the music, subconsciously.  

Kudos to a job well done, KI!

• Like 7

I agree that Kings Island looks way better than it has in years. However, I noticed that the Orion soundtrack is not blasting around Area 72 like it once did. It seems like some of the speakers are out because it is hard to hear anything. Also, the Orion soundtrack no longer plays in the station for Orion which is disappointing. Hopefully the park notices, so these things can get fixed soon.

Also, I noticed that The Racer’s turnarounds were not completely repainted. Sure the track has been repainted, but the actual structure looks pretty bad. Only parts of the structure visible in the park were repainted. I hope that Kings Island is holding back because they are planning track work for next year, but it is noticeable that the whole ride was not repainted when riding.

Lastly, the Fun TV’s around the park and even some of the TV’s with theming in Mystic Timbers’ queue are not working. I personally think it looks bad that so many TV’s are out in addition to the interactive display boards around the park. It gives the effect that Kings Island is negligent with upkeep.

These criticisms are not merely digs at the park. Kings Island has been doing a great job with making the park look great recently, and I want the park to look the best it possibly can.

• Like 6

On 5/24/2022 at 11:15 AM, FUN&ONLY! said:

I agree that Kings Island looks way better than it has in years. However, I noticed that the Orion soundtrack is not blasting around Area 72 like it once did.

If you're referring to last season, it was louder from the launch party sound system.

in addition to the interactive display boards around the park

This is something that has bothered me a lot. Really don't like the way it looks with them just sitting there inactive with a sign placed over the screen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snowball said:

Really don't like the way it looks with them just sitting there inactive with a sign placed over the screen.

The interactive screens are very expensive sticker holders. Let's fire those puppies back up! 

• Like 1

I agree that Kings Island looks way better than it has in years. However, I noticed that the Orion soundtrack is not blasting around Area 72 like it once did. It seems like some of the speakers are out because it is hard to hear anything. Also, the Orion soundtrack no longer plays in the station for Orion which is disappointing. Hopefully the park notices, so these things can get fixed soon.

Also, I noticed that The Racer’s turnarounds were not completely repainted. Sure the track has been repainted, but the actual structure looks pretty bad. Only parts of the structure visible in the park were repainted. I hope that Kings Island is holding back because they are planning track work for next year, but it is noticeable that the whole ride was not repainted when riding.

Lastly, the Fun TV’s around the park and even some of the TV’s with theming in Mystic Timbers’ queue are not working. I personally think it looks bad that so many TV’s are out in addition to the interactive display boards around the park. It gives the effect that Kings Island is negligent with upkeep.

These criticisms are not merely digs at the park. Kings Island has been doing a great job with making the park look great recently, and I want the park to look the best it possibly can.

Ditto with this. Area 72 looks very shabby at night especially. The light inside the meteor, the focal theming point for the land, has been burnt out since early June of last year. Is it that hard to replace a light bulb? Surely Daniels Wood Land designed some sort of hatch into the prop so the bulb could be easily switched out. And the red lights on Orion's ride photo booth and Meteor Canteen are burned out or aren't turned on. The white spotlight aimed on the Bureau of Paranormal Activity logo on the front of Flight of Fear has been out of service for a while as well. And like you said, the Orion soundtrack not playing in the station. With the soundtrack not played in the queue or station, there's nothing tying the "Orion soundtrack" to Orion specifically at all. Since Area 72 is the newest land and it houses the newest coaster in the park, I'm surprised that they let it get to this point, and have let it exist in this state for so long--as I said, the meteor has been out for almost an entire year. At least they fixed the WERD Radio van for opening day this year. The audio and headlights had been broken since Labor Day-ish 2021.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Ditto with this. Area 72 looks very shabby at night especially. The light inside the meteor, the focal theming point for the land, has been burnt out since early June of last year. Is it that hard to replace a light bulb? Surely Daniels Wood Land designed some sort of hatch into the prop so the bulb could be easily switched out. And the red lights on Orion's ride photo booth and Meteor Canteen are burned out or aren't turned on. The white spotlight aimed on the Bureau of Paranormal Activity logo on the front of Flight of Fear has been out of service for a while as well. And like you said, the Orion soundtrack not playing in the station. With the soundtrack not played in the queue or station, there's nothing tying the "Orion soundtrack" to Orion specifically at all. Since Area 72 is the newest land and it houses the newest coaster in the park, I'm surprised that they let it get to this point, and have let it exist in this state for so long--as I said, the meteor has been out for almost an entire year. At least they fixed the WERD Radio van for opening day this year. The audio and headlights had been broken since Labor Day-ish 2021.

It sure seems like a lot of money spent on custom soundtracks and theming for it to not be used very long.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, chuck norris said:

Ki is currently doing a fireworks show (Wednesday night, when the park closed 2 hours ago).

I assume it’s a rehearsal for the 50 anniversary fireworks show that opens Saturday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You likely hit the nail on the head!!

Typically they don’t need to do full scale fireworks shows as a rehearsal, but which the problems that they had on the 29th, likely management wanted to see the show in its entirety. 

I’m so excited!!!!

22 hours ago, chuck norris said:

Ki is currently doing a fireworks show (Wednesday night, when the park closed 2 hours ago).

I assume it’s a rehearsal for the 50 anniversary fireworks show that opens Saturday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I heard it last night! I kinda thought it was either thunder (as there was some iffy weather earlier in the night) or possibly fireworks.

On 5/25/2022 at 4:27 PM, KIghostguy said:

It’s a shame they put in quality theming and let it deteriorate so quickly.   But that has been the history of this park with Theming 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, super7 said:

It’s a shame they put in quality theming and let it deteriorate so quickly.   But that has been the history of this park with Theming 

I was told that the music is back in Orion’s station as of yesterday. So there’s at least one step forwards.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

I was told that the music is back in Orion’s station as of yesterday. So there’s at least one step forwards.

That is great news! I understand things break, and it is okay as long as Kings Island is working to fix them. I hope that Kings Island is also working on fixing the lights in Area 72 and the security footage in Mystic Timbers’ queue. I also noticed a speaker out in Mystic Timbers’ Fast Lane queue that plays the soundtrack.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Nice! Speaking of Dippin' Dots, I am so bummed they don't have Vanilla Dippin' Dots at the park anymore. I remember I used to get them at the stand near the front gate (and I'm sure other places) like 10+ years ago and I always enjoyed them. ^_^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDMC01 said:

Nice! Speaking of Dippin' Dots, I am so bummed they don't have Vanilla Dippin' Dots at the park anymore. I remember I used to get them at the stand near the front gate (and I'm sure other places) like 10+ years ago and I always enjoyed them. ^_^

Just don't be me and buy the largest size, only to spill 9/10ths of it on the brickwork in Coney Mall...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Tried to interview the Dippin Dots guy to see what's going to go in The Vortex spot. They declined an interview. :lol:

Photo_1657993300671.jpg

Well duh, you have to use coded language and you have to provide a calligraphy pen.   Showing up as someone who runs a park/coaster fan site is doomed for failure. 

• Haha 2