Kings Island 2022 General Discussions

IndyGuy4KI

On 8/21/2022 at 10:02 AM, gforce1994 said:

Uh, Area72 is complete.

Nothing is ever complete.  When a themed element like a TV is not working, the area is not complete.  A wooden roller coaster is never complete, as many engineers have stated.  As far as construction of an area, Area 72 may have all it will have as far as rides, restrooms and food facilities for now, but who are we to know what the park management will do with it in the future?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Everyone should always keep in mind that we may not know the age of the person behind the keyboard.  You could be replying to a 13-year-old or someone in their 70's. With that said, respect is part of the TOS. If anyone feels a person's post is not being respectful please report it. 

Something for everyone to keep in mind.

Before hitting that Submit button ask: Are you posting out of anger, frustration, or annoyance? Emotions can get the best of us at times.  Sometimes changing the wording can make a big difference in how your post is perceived/accepted. Lastly, the only people that post that represent the whole of the site are the admin. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I know it will NEVER be like this again, and truthfully SHOULDNT be so devoid of some of the great additions over the years, but seeing an image like this you realize how much just some cleaning up of visual clutter and focusing on guest comfort (seating area by the lake) would do to engance the overall experience. KI could definitely look to it’s past to create an elevated, multi age, multi sensory experience without multi million dollar capitol expenditures. 

DF056DC6-A5A9-4439-934B-5BBCB7C7D90B.jpeg

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

^ Paramount taering out the 'Tiques & surrounding area is one of my pet peeves.

I get that parks need to add things to refresh areas but it would be easier to digest if the addition of BLSC was as memorable. 

Totally agree. There was 109% no reason that needed to go there other than it was a vanity project that they wanted top “visibility” for- but ironically it’s not really that visible other than in ways that makes in confusing as to how to even get to it. No idea why they left the curb cut/ paved path from the antique cars. I see so many people go that way to BLSC and you can get that annoyed if they “cut” in line from that point as the park almost invites it. CF definitely inherited a mess from those last few paramount years. 

• Like 1

This may sound strange since we have huge fountain in the front of the park.  But I wish there were more water features around the park.  Even bringing back the waterfall in TG.  Or have The Beast water wheel still running . . I know the The Beast pond/lake would not come back, but the wheel could empty into a small pool and cycle back up to the top.

Even a new Swan Lake area to walk around or sit and enjoy plant life or birds.  I know most people go for the rides but I really do enjoy just walking around and taking in the park sounds and atmosphere.  But I do love the rides too. :)

• Like 6

^^ I was excited for Paramount's take over of the park thinking that it would rival the new Universal in FL.

Admittedly I was a older teen not realizing at that time that stacking a seasonal park vs. a year round park is not fair, but on the other hand, the Paramount years could have been significantly better with their additions & general park upkeep.

I will say CF has not been perfect, but they have done a great job bringing the park back pre-Paramount.

• Like 3

I had an idea recently on how to turn Backlot into a much better looking attraction, it would take a while to type out though. It would be expensive, involve a bunch of concrete-busting, fake parking garage demolition, landscaping, bright yellow paint, and a lot of tree planting.

• Like 3

Cedar Fair seems to be getting better about balancing their "clean" look tendencies in a way that is less sterile than it might have felt before. Hopefully we'll see more character and detail in the landscapes. Things like the beer stein topiary outside Festhaus and the clock show go a long way towards giving the park its personality.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rlentless said:

This may sound strange since we have huge fountain in the front of the park.  But I wish there were more water features around the park.  Even bringing back the waterfall in TG.  Or have The Beast water wheel still running . . I know the The Beast pond/lake would not come back, but the wheel could empty into a small pool and cycle back up to the top.

Even a new Swan Lake area to walk around or sit and enjoy plant life or birds.  I know most people go for the rides but I really do enjoy just walking around and taking in the park sounds and atmosphere.  But I do love the rides too. :)

I’ve been raked over the coals for saying it, but I really wish The Vortex spot woujd become a lake/calm boat attraction that a new “Rivertown food hall” multi stand dining location (where the LaRosas is now) would overlook the lake with tiered outdoor dining. Home style “country sandwiches”, Bone in fried chicken, Even a great Tex-mex, burrito place that would free up the space where Hanjs is and get burritos out of German area. Agree about the water-there used yo be so much more. Waterfalls in tower gardens, waterfall in Rivertown, FestHaus fountain, coney fountains, adventure village waterfall, elephant fountain in Hanna-Barbara. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

I’ve been raked over the coals for saying it, but I really wish The Vortex spot woujd become a lake/calm boat attraction that a new “Rivertown food hall” multi stand dining location (where the LaRosas is now) would overlook the lake with tiered outdoor dining. Home style “country sandwiches”, Bone in fried chicken, Even a great Tex-mex, burrito place that would free up the space where Hanjs is and get burritos out of German area. Agree about the water-there used yo be so much more. Waterfalls in tower gardens, waterfall in Rivertown, FestHaus fountain, coney fountains, adventure village waterfall, elephant fountain in Hanna-Barbara. 

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. 

The older I get (and I'm getting plenty old), the less I care about parks adding giant thrill rides and the more I want them to just keep enhancing the experience. I love a good roller coaster -- but as much as I loved Velocicoaster and Hagrid's at Universal this year, I loved the experience of exploring all the themed areas and eating good, unique food just as much. Obviously, KI can't compete with Universal. But CP is investing in a giant shoreline restaurant next year (which is, admittedly, easier when you have an actual shoreline at your park). For KI to take that Vortex plot and make it into a place to relax and eat with unique, beautiful scenery would add a lot to the park. 

• Like 6

I’ve been raked over the coals for saying it, but I really wish The Vortex spot woujd become a lake/calm boat attraction that a new “Rivertown food hall” multi stand dining location (where the LaRosas is now) would overlook the lake with tiered outdoor dining. Home style “country sandwiches”, Bone in fried chicken, Even a great Tex-mex, burrito place that would free up the space where Hanjs is and get burritos out of German area. 

I highly doubt they would demolish Larosas as it's been there ever since the park was built. I think they could do a Rivertown "harmony hall" where the crypt building is. I've thought of turning Vortex's plot into a Lake before. Maybe turn the giant hill by Beast's station that you can see from the midway into a waterfall with nice rock work. 

Agree about the water-there used yo be so much more. Waterfalls in tower gardens, waterfall in Rivertown, FestHaus fountain, coney fountains, adventure village waterfall, elephant fountain in Hanna-Barbara. 

I actually thought of that several times when I would go into tower gardens this year. I didn't know they actually had a waterfall there. I think tower gardens could use a nice water feature. Maybe a little stream running in the planters. 

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I highly doubt they would demolish Larosas as it's been there ever since the park was built. I think they could do a Rivertown "harmony hall" where the crypt building is. I've thought of turning Vortex's plot into a Lake before. Maybe turn the giant hill by Beast's station that you can see from the midway into a waterfall with nice rock work. 

I actually thought of that several times when I would go into tower gardens this year. I didn't know they actually had a waterfall there. I think tower gardens could use a nice water feature. Maybe a little stream running in the planters. 

They need to do something with the old Crypt/TR building because it's just an eyesore with its sporadic and periodic use during Haunt.

Yeah don't think they'll ever demolise LaRosas', too much history there. 

I'd love to see The Vortex plot get a mix of thrill and entertainment. There's a lot of land there, could def fit a coaster in the back along the forest; maybe interacting with Beast in some way without ruining the darkness of night rides, with an extended midway into the plot for new flats and shops/restaurants. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

As we’ve seen before… nothing is totally sacred (Vortex station) and that LaRosas is old and not that efficient for anything else. I know enhanced food operations is a priority for them moving forward, and I could see a lot of “original” food “stands” going the way of coney bbq or other designs with a mix of prep-service and seating to elevate the overall experience. 

• Like 2

Really nice ideas brenthodge. The new restaurant would definitely be a popular spot to enjoy the scenery. I agree, if it would make the park money, they will do it. Having a lake or a water ride there, with some new trees, pays tribute to Rivertowns history, plus it fills in the area, so it makes it not feel empty. They could also add a flat ride right across WindSeeker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Flashbacks! Tower garden waterfalls. Bonus points if you can spot remnants today! 

the mountain was some pretty crappy rockwork  was demoed in 14 I believe  

697CD775-ECFF-4345-B5A9-AB664AC4B728.jpeg

CD87C02E-CA30-4BEB-9AEF-DE7549183067.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Coasterteam said:

They need to do something with the old Crypt/TR building because it's just an eyesore with its sporadic and periodic use during Haunt.

Yeah don't think they'll ever demolise LaRosas', too much history there. 

I'd love to see The Vortex plot get a mix of thrill and entertainment. There's a lot of land there, could def fit a coaster in the back along the forest; maybe interacting with Beast in some way without ruining the darkness of night rides, with an extended midway into the plot for new flats and shops/restaurants. 

I’m still hoping for an indoor wild mouse in the TRTR  building. With minimal changes there’s a mine shaft theme right there. Use the old preshow room for load. Maybe tack in additional building on the back side for unload to speed up throughput so cars come back empty and continuously load. Use the separator room for additional switch backs. There is FINALLY enough growth to the bamboo etc to almost hide the building from the front, and the sides could get additional landscaping and glass building fronts built to hide the box-open up the path back to use the original entrance-exit of The Beast and theme the wild mouse to one of the abandoned mine shafts of the Miami Valley mining operation-which was suddenly abandoned in the early 1900s when a mysterious beast was rumored to be wandering the woods where the mines are located. 

20 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Flashbacks! Tower garden waterfalls. Bonus points if you can spot remnants today! 

Do you have any pics of the waterfall in Rivertown working, and of the Coney fountains? 

12 minutes ago, Imperial79 said:

Do you have any pics of the waterfall in Rivertown working, and of the Coney fountains? 

Ive tried to find the FestHaus fountains pictures.it was similar to the coney one -just smaller (there was not the big round planter that I’d there now. I only have sketchy memories from a trip WAY back in 1984 (first time at KI-lonnng before moving to Cincinnati from Tennessee) but I remember them as having underground resivoirs that the water would flow into (like splash pads of today -way ahead of their time LOL or very similar to the big fountain in Soak City where the water pools on the concrete but then flows under a grate in the pavement. The Rivertown one you can basically figure out from looking at it now since all they really did was turn it off and fill it with soil a bit-but the stream channel is still visible. As you can see from this picture-they’ve trashed a beautiful park over the years and are SLOWLY getting it back into shape  

22B2F1DC-6947-460D-9564-660EE37EE972.jpeg

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

I miss this SO much. Relaxing in Tower Gardens next to the waterfall is one of my earliest memories of the park. I was so upset when they got rid of it. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

I’ve tried and tried to find the coney and FestHaus fountains pictures. I only have sketchy memories from a trip WAY back in 1984 (first time at KI-lonnng before moving to Cincinnati from Tennessee) but I remember them as having underground resivoirs that the water would flow into (like splash pads of today -way ahead of their time LOL or very similar to the big fountain in Soak City where the water pools on the concrete but then flows under a grate in the pavement. I believe the one in coney was in one (or two) of the rectangle seating areas where there is a circle planter in the middle now. They weren’t huge. The Rivertown one you can basically figure out from looking at it now since all they really did was turn it off and fill it with soil a bit-but the stream channel is still visible. 

Oh okay, those are good memories!  Yeah I thought that was the waterfall in Rivertown you were talking about, hopefully Kings Island cleans it out, and turns it back on. I don’t believe I’ve seen it working since I first started going again in 2014. 

6 minutes ago, Imperial79 said:

Oh okay, those are good memories!  Yeah I thought that was the waterfall in Rivertown you were talking about, hopefully Kings Island cleans it out, and turns it back on. I don’t believe I’ve seen it working since I first started going again in 2014. 

IIRC the Rivertown waterfall was turned off when Diamondback was installed. I miss that one as well!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

IIRC the Rivertown waterfall was turned off when Diamondback was installed. I miss that one as well!

It was on and off before that. I think it did eventually drain to the lake, so yes… I think that’s when it was rendered totally inoperable. 

• Like 3

The stream channel is still there, but it ends into the fill-in where the lake was removed for the lift hill structure. It would've been neat if they had found a way to route it into the DB pool, but the water feature they DID put at the pool in a close-enough location was a nice touch.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, PKIDelirium said:

The stream channel is still there, but it ends into the fill-in where the lake was removed for the lift hill structure. It would've been neat if they had found a way to route it into the DB pool, but the water feature they DID put at the pool in a close-enough location was a nice touch.

And to think there was almost no central water feature in Rivertown at all! Greg Scheid originally wanted to eliminate Swan Lake completely when building Diamondback. I'm grateful and happy that we at least have some water features left in the park.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PKIDelirium said:

except it does nothing from WITHIN the area. You only see it from across the lake, but I agree - It was nice that they did at least that. 

Yeah, it's just cycling from the pool's supply rather than something that could be supplied from the original somehow, but it looks nice from the midway at least.

Fun fact: The stream channel (well, the short part that exists of it from the fountain, under the walkway and over to the abrupt end where the lake used to be) is what's left of an old wagon trail that was on the property.

• Like 2