Kings Island 2022 General Discussions

IndyGuy4KI

5 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. 

The older I get (and I'm getting plenty old), the less I care about parks adding giant thrill rides and the more I want them to just keep enhancing the experience. I love a good roller coaster -- but as much as I loved Velocicoaster and Hagrid's at Universal this year, I loved the experience of exploring all the themed areas and eating good, unique food just as much. Obviously, KI can't compete with Universal. But CP is investing in a giant shoreline restaurant next year (which is, admittedly, easier when you have an actual shoreline at your park). For KI to take that Vortex plot and make it into a place to relax and eat with unique, beautiful scenery would add a lot to the park. 

Ive had two happenstance conversations with both Don Helbig and Mike Koontz out and about in the park this year - both times really stressing how much I appreciated the overall tone of the 50th and the choice to celebrate by celebrating with a  FULL experience over just impressive new ride stats. Both times they seemed super appreciative that the direction the park was going in was being noted and appreciated. I told Mike that I really liked that the focus was shifting away from just breaking records and he basically agreed that that is "not a sustainable model" but that if an addition makes sense in the overall positioning strategy of the park AND it breaks records or introduces new technology that is fine, but, the days of just going taller, faster or longer for the sake of just that are over. I think we will see a lot more like the new area at Carrowinds that they can market around new food, new smaller rides, new themed experience - heck if they put in a vintage "golden age of flying" radio show like the Mistletines - they would even have entertainment to market. For the price of one MAJOR ride addition they can get a lot more marketing messages out of an whole area enhancement. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KIghostguy said:

And to think there was almost no central water feature in Rivertown at all! Greg Scheid originally wanted to eliminate Swan Lake completely when building Diamondback. I'm grateful and happy that we at least have some water features left in the park.

Yikes. The finished product was already pretty shocking relative to what the area was before. I can't imagine if we didn't even have the splashdown and its little waterfall/stream. 

I remember the Tower Gardens waterfall (or at least the mountain - I don't remember it being on much...)! I used to see it all the time coming into work (at It's Fried/Midway Treats and Eats) when I first started working at the park as a teen. Back then, I envisioned KI adding a water coaster (as in, a roller coaster -like Premier's Liquid Coaster, not a water slide); the station would be towards the top of Tower Gardens and it would meander a ways through some drops before reaching the lift. The lift would go up the back side of the mountain/waterfall and then plunge down and make a turn so that you go into the mountain (where the break is between the two mountain waterfalls) and then hit the breaks. While it would have been cool, I think it would have killed the look and atmosphere of the area.

EDIT: Also, I don't remember the Coney waterfall, that seems random but cool. Does anyone (on here ;)) have pictures of the Adventure Village waterfall and the Rivertown waterfall (near Swan Lake)? I know there was once a fountain in King Cobra's helix as I've seen pictures, but I don't remember seeing where the waterfall was. TIA

15 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Based on @brenthodges idea, I decided to make a little drawing on that idea

Note: the light blue lines is a waterfall. Obviously, waterfalls aren't easy to draw in paint lol

image.png

Bingo- now make part of the top floor-with windows to Diamondback-or the back to Orion/racer “Club72” the Prestige pass exclusive area with (shock) AC, nice furniture, a cash bar, tvs and snacks. Done! (Except tie the waterfall into the renewed water features at TheBeast. NOW DONE) I have acc CD whole narrative that connects all of the RiverTown experiences together thh h at I’ll have to post someday. 

• Like 4

I'd love to see more landscaping that add to and enhance the theme of each areas. I'm still in the boat of bringing back the old arbor tunnel to the midway. I know there is one at the White Water Canyon entrance, but there was something really cool about sitting underneath it on the main midway with birds overhead in the vines. It could be placed on the walkway from the floral clock to Rivertown, which would help make a portal between different the two areas.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, BlondyRidesOn said:

I'd love to see more landscaping that add to and enhance the theme of each areas. I'm still in the boat of bringing back the old arbor tunnel to the midway. I know there is one at the White Water Canyon entrance, but there was something really cool about sitting underneath it on the main midway with birds overhead in the vines. It could be placed on the walkway from the floral clock to Rivertown, which would help make a portal between different the two areas.

That's how I felt about the arbor tunnel as a child . . a portal between two worlds.  I loved walking thru it.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Bingo- now make part of the top floor-with windows to Diamondback-or the back to Orion/racer “Club72” the Prestige pass exclusive area with (shock) AC, nice furniture, a cash bar, tvs and snacks. Done! (Except tie the waterfall into the renewed water features at TheBeast. NOW DONE) 

I would take this over a roller coaster going there, this would be the one chance to bring back a lake to Rivertown, they could name it Lake Wachs as a dedication to Gary or use someone else's last name that has been at the park a long time. Hopefully the park will see this and rethink their plans if they have any for this area.

17 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Bingo- now make part of the top floor-with windows to Diamondback-or the back to Orion/racer “Club72” the Prestige pass exclusive area with (shock) AC, nice furniture, a cash bar, tvs and snacks. Done! (Except tie the waterfall into the renewed water features at TheBeast. NOW DONE) I have acc CD whole narrative that connects all of the RiverTown experiences together thh h at I’ll have to post someday. 

Or here's some ideas for VIP experiences. Make a permanent VIP building in Area 72 with a patio that overlooks Orion and have it be themed to an airport first class lounge. In Oktoberfest, do a VIP bar like what BGW is doing with Burgermeister's Hideaway in their German area https://attractionsmagazine.com/sip-in-secret-at-burgermeisters-hideaway/

• Like 4

I have to give credit where credit is due. I think Kings Island has been taking note of their theming and technology breaking. I was never in Area 72 today, so I cannot comment on Orion’s theming, but I noticed several Fun TV’s that have been out for a while are now working as of recently in multiple locations. Also, Mystic Timbers’ TV with the security footage before the stairs was working today for the first time all season. Obviously, Kings Island has been trying to fix what has been broken. However, there is still work to be done. While some things have been fixed with Mystic Timbers’ theming, for example, some of the lights are out in the shed or aren’t working properly (the hanging lights should be flickering), the audio loop that plays on the steps is not working (the one about jumping starting the truck and getting out of there), and I don’t know if that speaker that plays the soundtrack in the Fast Lane line is fixed yet. I am more optimistic now that these and other problems will be addressed soon as I can tell the park has been trying to step it up.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I have to give credit where credit is due. I think Kings Island has been taking note of their theming and technology breaking. I was never in Area 72 today, so I cannot comment on Orion’s theming, but I noticed several Fun TV’s that have been out for a while are now working as of recently in multiple locations. Also, Mystic Timbers’ TV with the security footage before the stairs was working today for the first time all season. Obviously, Kings Island has been trying to fix what has been broken. However, there is still work to be done. While some things have been fixed with Mystic Timbers’ theming, for example, some of the lights are out in the shed or aren’t working properly (the hanging lights should be flickering), the audio loop that plays on the steps is not working (the one about jumping starting the truck and getting out of there), and I don’t know if that speaker that plays the soundtrack in the Fast Lane line is fixed yet. I am more optimistic now that these and other problems will be addressed soon as I can tell the park has been trying to step it up.

That’s what’s great about this time of year before Haunt! It allows the park to finally address other issues that they haven’t had the manpower for. Glad to see them taking care and fixing broken things around the park. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if there will be a large company at the park on Sunday the 11th?
They shouldn't be. The day was originally scheduled as a private event. I'm assuming the company backed out and thats why it's now open to the public.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

^Let's hope they ended up not doing like TriHealth.....that Sunday a couple weeks ago was a packed park!  And that is probably what Taylor is alluding to!

Correct.

I had overheard some people saying GE might be there, I'm not sure of that though.

I just wanted to slide in and say thank you to all of the associates for the great work they put in Friday night, many things made it an unforgettable night and the effort and happy smiles of every associate was certainly noticed!  Also, I want to thank the person who made the decision to have the colors of the lights on the buildings on I Street, as well as the string lights in Coney Mall changed to represent our community for the night, little simple gestures such as that are greatly appreciated and I got some incredible pics of the lighting with my ProMax.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

I just wanted to slide in and say thank you to all of the associates for the great work they put in Friday night, many things made it an unforgettable night and the effort and happy smiles of every associate was certainly noticed!  Also, I want to thank the person who made the decision to have the colors of the lights on the buildings on I Street, as well as the string lights in Coney Mall changed to represent our community for the night, little simple gestures such as that are greatly appreciated and I got some incredible pics of the lighting with my ProMax.

i'll eventually make it to that night one of these years. it makes me happy to know that you had a wonderful pride night. when is next years so i can at least try and plan to go?

• Like 1

The schedule remains the same every season, it is always the Friday following Labor Day.

It was announced just after 7pm that the attendance was over 4,500, and then we believe we heard it announced later in the evening that it was the best attended Pride Night in its history.  That may or may not be accurate, it was one of those announcements that was being passed through my mind and processed as passing chatter but then something about it caught my attention... of course by which time it was already too late and ended up being one of those moments like being at a live race or sporting event and waiting for a replay only to remember there isnt one <_<:lol:

Had a great, albeit quick, trip to the park today. It was nice to miss most of the rain. Unfortunately, still ended up getting a little wet. On which attraction? Would you believe me if I told you BBoBH? Haha. Apparently it got a bit “leaky” in the queue this afternoon. 

This ride is in such a sorry state. I hope something is done with this space soon. An “encore” of sorts wouldn’t hurt! 

7B86289C-A416-403A-8F4C-37257BA95F33.jpeg

41291179-C49A-479D-BA30-4D21269AC5E6.jpeg

EFAAF147-020E-4B19-BB4A-394A3BC2F761.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

38 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

Had a great, albeit quick, trip to the park today. It was nice to miss most of the rain. Unfortunately, still ended up getting a little wet. On which attraction? Would you believe me if I told you BBoBH? Haha. Apparently it got a bit “leaky” in the queue this afternoon. 

This ride is in such a sorry state. I hope something is done with this space soon. An “encore” of sorts wouldn’t hurt! 

7B86289C-A416-403A-8F4C-37257BA95F33.jpeg

41291179-C49A-479D-BA30-4D21269AC5E6.jpeg

EFAAF147-020E-4B19-BB4A-394A3BC2F761.jpeg

It’s beyond pathetic at this point. There’s shabby and there’s blatant neglect. This has reached that point. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

Has Diamondback fixed what problems it has had lately? It has had all three trains in the shed sometimes. And sometimes when it goes up the lift it goes super slow.

I believe they’re having lift motor issues. Some days are better than others; likely will see a full motor replacement soon?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KIEagle33 said:

That would be nice to see next season along with a fresh paint job. 

I assume KI will just slap a bandaid on Diamondback and try to find the quickest fix to keep it running until the off season then I think we will see a re paint and new lift motor next year.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Orion742 said:

I assume KI will just slap a bandaid on Diamondback and try to find the quickest fix to keep it running until the off season then I think we will see a re paint and new lift motor next year.

They seem to be working on the lift motor as of this moment. A few cars parked right next to it. 

Update: A few more cars showed up with people heading to the lift motor area. They are definitely working on it. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...