Jump to content

Kings Island 2022 General Discussions


IndyGuy4KI
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Orion742 said:

So I was wondering, does KI have employee dorms? I hear about the ones at Cedar Point and kings dominion and I I can find addresses for those but not KI employee dorms If there are some.

See the thread below.  As @disco2000 notes, it's on park property over by The Bat and GWL.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

Does anyone have an idea when Cedar Fair releases their spring and summer calendar? I was hoping to find a time or something to go off of so I can be ready to plan my trips for 2023. 
Thanks.

It varies per park.  Historically KI is one of the last CF parks to announce.

But generally (except for the Covid years), the parks usually open around the same time as the year prior, so looking at this year's calendar for the parks you want to visit next year should give you a good idea.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I probably missed this conversation somewhere this season as my season hasn't been great what with health stuff keeping me from parks for the last few months, but would it be crazy to say that KI now has a top 3/5 wooden coaster collection now?  The job they have done on Racer is superb- it runs and looks like a really stellar classic coaster.  John Allen is smiling in his grave for sure its running so well.  The Beast re-track also turned out completely fantastic, and Mystic Timbers being a GCI pretty much speaks for itself.  I'd dare put KI's wooden collection against any park in the world for quantity and quality. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone on here know if Hank’s has hard taco shells (as opposed to just having soft tacos)? I don’t eat there often (or ever? I’m a picky eater) and I plan to do so when I go to the park this weekend before it becomes Enrique’s next year (and possibly the Mac n Cheese bar during WinterFest).TIA. :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

While doing my ride count totals for the season (as a good number of rides will be closed for Winterfest), I found some interesting things and I'd like to share some stats. My most ridden coaster this season is Orion (20 rides) while my most ridden coaster overall (since 2010) is still The Bat (251 rides total). My most ridden flat this year is Delirium (8 times) while my most ridden flat overall is Drop Zone (93 times). And while not on the Excel spreadsheet, my most visited Haunt maze this year was Slaughter House (12 times!). Getting back to the spreadsheet, one interesting thing I noticed is that since 2017, I have made one of the Arrow coasters (mostly The Bat) my last ride of the regular season. While most years it is The Bat, in 2019 Vortex was my last ride of the main season (because of course it was!) as 2019 was its last year. On a similar note, all my true last rides of the season (during Winterfest) have been different every year.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

While doing my ride count totals for the season (as a good number of rides will be closed for Winterfest), I found some interesting things and I'd like to share some stats. My most ridden coaster this season is Orion (20 rides) while my most ridden coaster overall (since 2010) is still The Bat (251 rides total). My most ridden flat this year is Delirium (8 times) while my most ridden flat overall is Drop Zone (93 times). And while not on the Excel spreadsheet, my most visited Haunt maze this year was Slaughter House (12 times!). Getting back to the spreadsheet, one interesting thing I noticed is that since 2017, I have made one of the Arrow coasters (mostly The Bat) my last ride of the regular season. While most years it is The Bat, in 2019 Vortex was my last ride of the main season (because of course it was!) as 2019 was its last year. On a similar note, all my true last rides of the season (during Winterfest) have been different every year.

Hey cool sats! My most ridden coaster at the park is Adventure Express just because my sister and I would marathon it every Tuesday in 2019. The operators even started to catch on and ask "we're you here last Tuesday?" Or say "you ride this a lot don't you?" Or " I see you here alot". 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A bit off topic, and if this has been covered already in a 2022 discussion I apologize and if you would redirect me. The question is does anyone know what is going on with Drop Tower? First, they repaint the tower, then the Orlando Free fall accident occurs and ever since it has had very sparse operation and since late July (from my visit and my personal spies reports) it has been closed and currently appears to have a tarp over the seats to prepare for winter. So why has it been closed so much? Anyone have any info on Drop Tower in 2022? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

A bit off topic, and if this has been covered already in a 2022 discussion I apologize and if you would redirect me. The question is does anyone know what is going on with Drop Tower? First, they repaint the tower, then the Orlando Free fall accident occurs and ever since it has had very sparse operation and since late July (from my visit and my personal spies reports) it has been closed and currently appears to have a tarp over the seats to prepare for winter. So why has it been closed so much? Anyone have any info on Drop Tower in 2022? 

Nothing to do with the Free Fall and has been discussed in a thread here somewhere - different manufacturer and different restraints.  Drop Tower has a seat belt between the legs and that one didn't and is the main difference (well FreeFall also has seats that tilt forward which didn't help the situation).  It would have been a different outcome had that ride had seat belts (and why a brand new ride didn't learn from the past and have them is crazy) AND had they not allowed the seat to be altered.  In addition to the safety aspect of Drop Tower seat belt not allowing someone to slide thru, it would also prevent the ride from going with the restraint as high up as the Free Fall ride because the Drop Tower restraints will lock a lot higher, but if the seat belt doesn't lock, then no ride.  The seat belt is a certain length for a reason.

Your spy reports are wrong LOL.  It ran until August 9th and was struck that night/next morning by lightning and fried some components that can only be obtained by Intamin and they had a long lead time that kept getting pushed and when it became obvious it wouldn't be here in time for final weekend, they went ahead and started winter prep for the ride early... 

It was down a bit for wind this year, as well as another lightning strike earlier in the summer (July 6th) that knocked it out a few days while the spare part was put in (thus why when it blew again a month later they didn't have a spare available as they were waiting on the part).

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Nothing to do with the Free Fall and has been discussed in a thread here somewhere - different manufacturer and different restraints.  Drop Tower has a seat belt between the legs and that one didn't and is the main difference (well FreeFall also has seats that tilt forward which didn't help the situation).  It would have been a different outcome had that ride had seat belts (and why a brand new ride didn't learn from the past and have them is crazy) AND had they not allowed the seat to be altered.  In addition to the safety aspect of Drop Tower seat belt not allowing someone to slide thru, it would also prevent the ride from going with the restraint as high up as the Free Fall ride because the Drop Tower restraints will lock a lot higher, but if the seat belt doesn't lock, then no ride.  The seat belt is a certain length for a reason.

Your spy reports are wrong LOL.  It ran until August 9th and was struck that night/next morning by lightning and fried some components that can only be obtained by Intamin and they had a long lead time that kept getting pushed and when it became obvious it wouldn't be here in time for final weekend, they went ahead and started winter prep for the ride early... 

It was down a bit for wind this year, as well as another lightning strike earlier in the summer (July 6th) that knocked it out a few days while the spare part was put in (thus why when it blew again a month later they didn't have a spare available as they were waiting on the part).

Hey thanks for the info! Glad to hear my "spies" were wrong! Lol. I didn't think it really had to do with freefall accident but wasn't sure. The wind closure makes sense and I had no clue about the lightning strikes this season. Does that happen often or has this been a bad year for lightning strikes? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johnjniehaus said:

Hey thanks for the info! Glad to hear my "spies" were wrong! Lol. I didn't think it really had to do with freefall accident but wasn't sure. The wind closure makes sense and I had no clue about the lightning strikes this season. Does that happen often or has this been a bad year for lightning strikes? 

It gets hit several times a year, as it is basically a lightning rod LOL.  Eiffel Tower gets hit as well, along with WindSeeker and the big steel coasters get hit on occasion as well.  Most of the time the grounding works as intended, but sometimes lightning does its own thing.

Sometimes it is even caught on camera LOL:

 

 

image.png

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Nothing to do with the Free Fall and has been discussed in a thread here somewhere - different manufacturer and different restraints.  Drop Tower has a seat belt between the legs and that one didn't and is the main difference (well FreeFall also has seats that tilt forward which didn't help the situation).  It would have been a different outcome had that ride had seat belts (and why a brand new ride didn't learn from the past and have them is crazy) AND had they not allowed the seat to be altered.  In addition to the safety aspect of Drop Tower seat belt not allowing someone to slide thru, it would also prevent the ride from going with the restraint as high up as the Free Fall ride because the Drop Tower restraints will lock a lot higher, but if the seat belt doesn't lock, then no ride.  The seat belt is a certain length for a reason.

Your spy reports are wrong LOL.  It ran until August 9th and was struck that night/next morning by lightning and fried some components that can only be obtained by Intamin and they had a long lead time that kept getting pushed and when it became obvious it wouldn't be here in time for final weekend, they went ahead and started winter prep for the ride early... 

It was down a bit for wind this year, as well as another lightning strike earlier in the summer (July 6th) that knocked it out a few days while the spare part was put in (thus why when it blew again a month later they didn't have a spare available as they were waiting on the part).


 

From my understanding, there is a part and some bolts that broke at the top of the tower. Since it happened late in the season, they were supposedly waiting so they could include the (very expensive) part into 2023 capex. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, disco2000 said:

It gets hit several times a year, as it is basically a lightning rod LOL.  Eiffel Tower gets hit as well, along with WindSeeker and the big steel coasters get hit on occasion as well.  Most of the time the grounding works as intended, but sometimes lightning does its own thing.

Sometimes it is even caught on camera LOL:

 

 

image.png

If you look closely at the still frame here, you can see someone standing in front of the Kings Island sign. Imagine of his photo was taken at that moment.  What an absolute rare pic he would have lol

Also, dang I had no idea DT was having a huge lightning issue this year. Definitely explains all the downtime and early winterization.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So I was looking through the scheduled ride closures at all the Cedar Fair parks but I can’t find the scheduled ride closures for KI. Does anyone know where I can find them? All of the other Cedar Fair parks have a scheduled ride closures list on that parks website.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not to be that guy, but this post gets more confusing the deeper I think about it. The juxtaposition of mostly all of the other trains being already taken apart days ago vs Banshee cycling today in the 30 - 34 degree range on the 12th of November is strange.

My thoughts:

- Getting on ride footage

- Testing something out

- Looking at how the ride performs in cold temps

- None of the above, I'm overthinking it and this is normal

https://twitter.com/chadshowalter/status/1591472087197171712

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...