Cedar Point puts up construction walls near Wicked Twister's plot

On the Cedar Point Webcam if you look closely to the left hand side, you can see they put up a wooden fence in the area near Wicked Twister. More specifically it is up around the area where the old stadium was where for the last few seasons they had a stage and grass area there. Its also where they had one of the VIP lounges last year. This also isn't the first time a fence was put up there. If you may recall, they put a fence up there after they tore down the stadium for the construction of the stage that was put there. It makes me wonder, why are they putting a fence up there now? Are they building a new stage for later this year? Are they not going to use that area at all this year? Could it be for an even bigger project that includes Wicked Twister's plot of land? If you look closely, you can see the fence also goes into part of the midway as well so basically the pathway there will be in half this season. It'll be interesting to see what this becomes. Speculate Away! 

image.png

Link to webcam to see for yourself: https://www.cedarpoint.com/live-video

• Like 3

I'm not sure what it will be, but I was thinking the other day about what coaster types Cedar Point doesn't have. I came up with the following:

B&M Flyer

GCI

Single-Rail RMC

Tilt Coaster (yes, Vekoma is making these again, and it would be awesome to have one (relatively) close by- the first in the US is going to be in Texas; the other new one is going to Poland)

And I just thought that they also don't have a Wild Mouse (or a spinning coaster), but these options may be too low capacity.

Or it could be that Aquatrax that people have been speculating about for a while :P

EDIT: Forgot about the Surf Coaster (not sure what that will even be yet) or an S&S Axis being possibilities.

Speculation aside, I'm thinking the first four options could be the most likely (however, Tilt Coaster could be ruled out due to the proximity of Valravn).

I honestly think it will be a family coaster as the plot of land is perfect for one, and Cedar Point lacks many family coasters. Something like a MACK multi-launch like Manta at SeaWorld San Diego or a GCI wooden rollercoaster would really work great there. The later could be a bit extreme for a family coaster, but the height requirement would be low enough for some younger kids. The only issue with a wooden coaster on the boardwalk, however, is that it would block views of Lake Erie.

• Like 2

My hope is for a modern woodie. Large scale coasters can get considered family coasters too. Look at Cheetah Hunt where it is large with a few launches and an inversion and is considered a family coaster. With the boardwalk area I think a modern wooden coaster would make a great fit for the theme and be something that CP doesn't have.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Are we sure this is a construction fence and not just a fence closing of the old Wicked Twister area?

In recent years, the former Oceana/Extreme Sports Stadium site has been filled with a grassy lawn and some sandy patches, alongside a stage, used for shows and a play/relax area, not quite a playground.  Believe it was also one of the designated mask removal zones in the park in 2020 as well.  In other words, it had already been filled in with an interim purpose, until construction on a long-term Capex project began along the beach.

Now that Wicked Twister has been taken down, that whole area has been blocked off, including the Stadium site that had remained accessible to guests the last few years.  While there's no rumor or leak that explains what's going on there, it's logical to conclude the wall went up for some sort of construction, else the area would have been left open as it had been.

20 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

One thing I've been thinking of lately is a gravity group family woodie. They haven't added a family coaster in years and it is different enough from Blue Streak. Think Kentucky Flyer, but a little taller and have longer trains for capacity reasons. It would be different enough from blue streak. 

OK, I definitely can see this, but leaning more Raven and less Kentucky Flyer, because KF is weak.  Good for where it is and what is purpose is, but weak for the Point even as a family coaster.  But hey, #anythingbutboringandmild.

On 4/20/2022 at 6:19 PM, MDMC01 said:

I'm not sure what it will be, but I was thinking the other day about what coaster types Cedar Point doesn't have. I came up with the following:

B&M Flyer

GCI

Single-Rail RMC

Tilt Coaster (yes, Vekoma is making these again, and it would be awesome to have one (relatively) close by- the first in the US is going to be in Texas; the other new one is going to Poland)

And I just thought that they also don't have a Wild Mouse (or a spinning coaster), but these options may be too low capacity.

Or it could be that Aquatrax that people have been speculating about for a while :P

EDIT: Forgot about the Surf Coaster (not sure what that will even be yet) or an S&S Axis being possibilities.

Speculation aside, I'm thinking the first four options could be the most likely (however, Tilt Coaster could be ruled out due to the proximity of Valravn).

I think you have forgotten the two most logical options.

1. A Gerstlauer similar to Hangtime at Knotts but larger and faster.  (This would be very similar to Xcellerator opening at Knotts and the a bigger faster version opening at CP "Top Thrill Dragster".

2. A Mack Multilaunch very similar to Copperhead Strike or A Mack Extreme Spinner similar to Time Traveler. If you consider the size of these two Mack's as well as the way Copperhead Strike interacts with the midway this is the perfect place to put either.  

I think s Mack Extreme Spinner themed and named to pay homage to Wicked Twister would make a tons of sense

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, DeltaFlyer said:

Sorry, no ride- it's the "Grand Pavilion", which the building department lists as a 2-story building. 

image.png

Honestly I am relieved, I know that may sound weird but think Cedar Point has already so many great coasters don’t get me wrong I would love another coaster but they really need some nice areas to hang out walk around, maybe some nice restaurants over looking the water that would be great.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Interesting. Can you provide a link onto where you found this? Wonder if there is more to it? Could this be Cedar Point's Harmony Hall?

I hope it is, with a board walk behind it that would look so good.

The park has already said that they will be using that area to add something "for everyone to enjoy..." They also are quoted as saying most of their guests dont like to "get thrown around on a rollercoaster." 

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/news/2022/05/28/construction-begins-transformation-cedar-points-beachfront-area-wicked-twister-sandusky-GateKeeper/9929021002/

I think they re-iterated it at the debacle that was Coastermania.

Doesn't sound like a ginormous coaster to me...

Shaggy

• Like 3

13 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

Sorry, no ride- it's the "Grand Pavilion", which the building department lists as a 2-story building. 

image.png

Another new attraction/facility taking cues from park history.  There once was a Grand Pavilion, and what was old will be new again.  Will be interesting to see what the new version contains.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/blog/media-center/cedar-point-timeline-1870-1969

1888: The enormous Grand Pavilion opens, featuring an auditorium, bowling alleys and dining facilities. The adjacent Ladies' Pavilion provided refreshments suitable for ladies and children. Band stand added in front of Grand Pavilion for Great Western Band. Steamer "I.M. Weston" chartered.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...